Thread: Recording naps

Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recording naps

Hi there,
    Do any of you record nap times - record when checked on sleeping child etc and if so how long do you keep this for.
    I do currently record it in daily diarys for parents but not sure if this is enough!

Thanks in advance xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The EYFS does not require any record of naps to be made.
    I record when a child has slept for parents in the daily diary, and a note of how the settled etc if relevent, as I think that is useful for parents.

In nurseries, managers may want staff to record when they have checked a child because with many children and many staff they can not risk a child being missed or staff not doing their jobs properly etc.
    CMers work alone (mostly) so we do not need to record checking of sleeping children (or daily risk assessment checks, or daily fridge temps etc) because we know ourselves when we have checked them! No one wants to read a list of when I checked little Johnnie at every nap time. At an inspection you can demonstrate or explain to an inspector how you keep children safe during naps.
    Anyone can falsify a tick list/time list so really it has no value at all in a setting like ours.
    Reduce your paper work!

3. Likes FloraDora, hectors house, Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just put children up into cots in my spare rooms, one room that I use for babies has a video monitor the other room just has a normal sound monitor - I put them to bed and check on babies (even though I have a monitor) every 30 mins and older children every 50 mins. As I use this nap time to play learning board games with older children who do not nap and it's too disruptive to have to leave the game more often than this.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't record naps anywhere unless a parent wants a daily diary kept - and then it would be logged in there what times etc.