Tapestry - new users
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tapestry - new users

I've recently purchased this and I'm practicing using my daughter (I do intend to keep a journal for her as an ongoing thing) before I have any mindees start. I was wondering how other people that are new to it are getting on? Are you finding it quite user friendly or are you having any problems?

It's been many years since I've had to do observations and linking to EYFS is all new to me so I know I've got lots to learn in that aspect anyway, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you are new to the software too.

2. Likes Happiness liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just practise doing observations on your daughter, what is she doing, how is she doing it, what did she say etc then write it up on Tapestry, add a photo (could be of anything as it's only a practice), then look at the EYFS statements and see anything that fits what she was doing - sometimes you can actually "tick" more of the COEL than you can the statements.

When your new mindees start the first observations you will be doing will be starting points, I find it useful to make this the very first observation and bring up all the statements and tick off the ones you know they can do eg: if they are 2 and already running around, then go back through the younger age bands for Physical development and tick all of the 0-birth 8-20 16-26 statements that apply - this will be useful when you want to print off planning sheets as it will not give you planning which isn't age appropriate.

The more you use it the more you will question "why does that happen" "what happens if I do this" etc - just read tutorials on the EYFS forum and often it's good to read the questions and answers that other people have posted. eg if you can't manage to get your photos to attach, if you log onto the forum you may find that lots of people have had problems that day, so then you know it's the software and not you.

4. Likes Sammy Jo T, Happiness liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Just practise doing observations on your daughter, what is she doing, how is she doing it, what did she say etc then write it up on Tapestry, add a photo (could be of anything as it's only a practice), then look at the EYFS statements and see anything that fits what she was doing - sometimes you can actually "tick" more of the COEL than you can the statements.

When your new mindees start the first observations you will be doing will be starting points, I find it useful to make this the very first observation and bring up all the statements and tick off the ones you know they can do eg: if they are 2 and already running around, then go back through the younger age bands for Physical development and tick all of the 0-birth 8-20 16-26 statements that apply - this will be useful when you want to print off planning sheets as it will not give you planning which isn't age appropriate.

The more you use it the more you will question "why does that happen" "what happens if I do this" etc - just read tutorials on the EYFS forum and often it's good to read the questions and answers that other people have posted. eg if you can't manage to get your photos to attach, if you log onto the forum you may find that lots of people have had problems that day, so then you know it's the software and not you.
    Thank you for the advice Hectors House. Ticking off the statements is something I was stuck on last night. I uploaded an observation of her and there were statements that applied in the next age band as well as the one she is in now. It wouldn't let me tick some from both, only one age band at a time and I'm not sure why. Think I'll be doing a lot of research on it and forum reading as you say.

I really love the idea of it just want to make sure I know what I'm doing with it before I have to use it officially

6. Likes Happiness liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Jo T View Post
    Thank you for the advice Hectors House. Ticking off the statements is something I was stuck on last night. I uploaded an observation of her and there were statements that applied in the next age band as well as the one she is in now. It wouldn't let me tick some from both, only one age band at a time and I'm not sure why. Think I'll be doing a lot of research on it and forum reading as you say.

I really love the idea of it just want to make sure I know what I'm doing with it before I have to use it officially
    No you can't tick off statements for one area of learning that are in 2 separate age groups, but you could always break it down into 2 observations so you can tick them off.

8. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

How much does the software cost please? Can I use it on my iPhone/ iPad as no longer use my laptop please?
    TIA x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tapestry is £30 plus VAT annually if your LA subscribe to the Early years foundation stage forum - if they don't then you will have be subscribe to that first which is extra £20 (I think) a year

Subscription - List of Participating Local Authorities

I use my computer but many of my childminding colleagues use i-pads or mobile phones.

11. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Hectors House

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes you can actually "tick" more of the COEL
    Hello HH - I've looked on Tapestry and can't find COEL. Any pointers? I just use the EYO statements at present for my 'ticking'.

(Answer is probably really obvious, but I'm stumped!)

All the best,

L

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Hello HH - I've looked on Tapestry and can't find COEL. Any pointers? I just use the EYO statements at present for my 'ticking'.

(Answer is probably really obvious, but I'm stumped!)

All the best,

L
    Click on your name or setting name on top right, to bring up control panel, select "manage settings", choose Assessments, it will give you the options of which settings you want to enable - EYFS statement picker, Leuven scale, COEL, P scales (for children with additional needs), ECAT

I am currently using EYFS, COEL & ECAT - they just show on bottom of your observation but you don't always have to tick them - I think only the EYFS statements are visible to parents.

15. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Click on your name or setting name on top right, to bring up control panel, select "manage settings", choose Assessments, it will give you the options of which settings you want to enable - EYFS statement picker, Leuven scale, COEL, P scales (for children with additional needs), ECAT

I am currently using EYFS, COEL & ECAT - they just show on bottom of your observation but you don't always have to tick them - I think only the EYFS statements are visible to parents.
    Thanks, HH! I would never have thought of looking there.

(Guess who didn't really look at the tutorials to get started! Great system, though. I've found it really intuitive, but was truly stumped on these!)

Again, thanks a million!

L

17. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baseline Assessment

me again!

In terms of doing a baseline so we just keep doing observations until we have covered all areas and then hit "lock baseline?" I've taken on a little boy that only does one day a week at the moment and I'm finding it quite hard to get this done as don't get a lot of time with him.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry haven't ever done a baseline - I thought this was done in first term of school?

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry haven't ever done a baseline - I thought this was done in first term of school?
    Ah I was under the impression I was what we had to do when a child started with us. Then we go from that point. Maybe I'm getting myself confused!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump on thread but is anyone having problems with the Tapestry app today? I've been thrown out 3 times trying to add an observation! So frustrating.
    Sammy Jo T if it helps, instead of doing a baseline assessment for new mindees, I'm going to be printing their next steps off after 6 weeks or so and plan from there.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    Sorry to jump on thread but is anyone having problems with the Tapestry app today? I've been thrown out 3 times trying to add an observation! So frustrating.
    Sammy Jo T if it helps, instead of doing a baseline assessment for new mindees, I'm going to be printing their next steps off after 6 weeks or so and plan from there.
    Mine was really slow earlier but seemed okay again about an hour ago.

xxx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

me again! In terms of doing a baseline so we just keep doing observations until we have covered all areas and then hit "lock baseline?" I've taken on a little boy that only does one day a week at the moment and I'm finding it quite hard to get this done as don't get a lot of time with him.
    I do baselines (more of a settling in style) although I tend to write about their first few days as a big observation then link that way.

How did you settle?
    How does the child interact with others? Selecting resources ? Interaction with myself (I've started with a new 11m old last week, lots of smiles, cuddles and open mouth "snotty" kisses haha)

Does that help?

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

But you could use the summative assessments also for you initial obs, (even though I use tapestry and have just paid for my 4th year-woah that went quick) I do still use some paperwork which I link

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Some good ideas there!

Yes I've had a few probs with the app recently but then they have been updating it. I actually find it easier to link the observations on my phone to the areas than on the normal website. Does anyone else find this easier?

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Some good ideas there!

Yes I've had a few probs with the app recently but then they have been updating it. I actually find it easier to link the observations on my phone to the areas than on the normal website. Does anyone else find this easier?
    Yes much easier SammyJoT. Do you link every observation you. I feel like I link to so many statements for one observation. Do you feel like this? x

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    Yes much easier SammyJoT. Do you link every observation you. I feel like I link to so many statements for one observation. Do you feel like this? x
    Yes at times I do! I also find myself going to tick things I know they can do but then realise they haven't demonstrated it in that observation lol.

I hate writing observations in present tense though but I know that's how they're meant to be done.

28. Likes lpatters liked this post