Secure storage question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Secure storage question

What does everyone have for storing accident/incident, safeguarding info? It has to be lockable, but I can't find anything small enough, I don't want a huge filing cabinet!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A secure internet site.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Where does it say it has to be 'lockable'?
    Another CM-ing myth I feel!

The NCMA box was laughable- 'lockable' bendy-plastic box which you could pick up and run off with or just unfold the plastic! Not sure if Pacey still do the same one?

This is another case for you to RA- where is a secure place in your house? Needs to be practical too as you need to access the files too so no point locking in a safe in the loft! (but that would be very secure!)

I keep my current children's documents in that NCMA box (it is handy!) in a top kitchen cupboard. No one has unsupervised access to it, it is not visible, children can not reach it.

I archive ex-mindees documents in a hanging-file box in the loft.

4. Likes bunyip, Hoopster, shortstuff liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    A secure internet site.
    Hmmm............. not sure that even the Pentagon have created one of those yet.

OP: how about a small filing cabinet?

Everything is only ever "secure" when set against some malefactor's determination to get hold of it. As Moggy says, the "secure" NCMA/pacey locakble thing is so "secure" it even has a convenient handle to carry it away with to some place you can cut open the plastic. I have a filing cabinet and it would take seconds to prize it open by force. But I'm scratching my head trying to think of anybody who'd bother to. The securest thing in practical terms may well be as simple as "out of reach and out of sight."

6. Likes Hoopster, FloraDora, shortstuff liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine just live on a shelf in the dining room. I do have a lockable box but decided that as no one except me goes in the dining room they are fine.
    And to be honest. .. who is interested in all the paperwork?!

8. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just fitted a sliding bolt to a cupboard where I keep the children's folders. It keeps the children out of it but means I can access whatever I need from it at any time. So not exactly Fort Knox, but am pretty sure I pointed it out to Ofsted at some point, with no issues.

Hope that helps.

L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Mine just live on a shelf in the dining room. I do have a lockable box but decided that as no one except me goes in the dining room they are fine.
    And to be honest. .. who is interested in all the paperwork?!
    Certainly not the parents Mine is in a kitchen wall cupboard! Anyone who wants to go routing through my cupboards obviously has a death wish - they are lethal

11. Likes rickysmiths, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the idea is to keep it away fro the children lol!

It needs to be kept away from inquisitive older members of your family or their friends or yours seeing things that are Confidential that should not be left lying around.

I have one of these. Home File A4 with 5 Suspension Files

It sits on my table in the week and I lock it when I go out. At the weekend it goes under the table when we go away I pop it in the loft. It just stops idle eyes having a peek at what is non of their business and that is all we are required to do. I can't imagine a burglar being very interested! I have much more valuable stuff in my house than cm files lol!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone broke into our house, they'd probably have to wake us up to ask where there's any stuff worth nicking.

Any inquisitive types looking for confidential information on my clients need look no further than the parent's Facebook pages.

Humanity's approach to security, safety, risk, etc. is risible. I recall my level 3 assessor conducting a home visit when a loudish 'clang' came from the other side of the party wall (the home of one of my mindees, as it happens.) She asked what made the noise and I said "oh, that's the chap's gun safe where he stores his shotguns." Assessor looked aghast and asked if it was safe. "Well yes, of course" (you daft bint) "that's why he keeps them in a gun safe."

A CM friend of mine was asked by his DO why he kept the front door unlocked. The conversation went along these lines.

DO: "I see you don't lock your door. Ofsted will downgrade you for that."
    CM: "So Ofsted would like the children to die in a fire if I'm incapacitated?"
    DO: " But an intruder could get in."
    CM: " True, but that's far less likely than a fire, and I have a contingency plan for an intruder."
    DO: "...and what's that?"
    CM: "I'd rip off their arm and beat them around the head with the sticky end."
    DO: "Oh............ do you think you'd be up to doing that in the event?"
    DO: "It's what we were trained for in the Met Police."

14. Likes lollipop kid, TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    If anyone broke into our house, they'd probably have to wake us up to ask where there's any stuff worth nicking.

Any inquisitive types looking for confidential information on my clients need look no further than the parent's Facebook pages.

Humanity's approach to security, safety, risk, etc. is risible. I recall my level 3 assessor conducting a home visit when a loudish 'clang' came from the other side of the party wall (the home of one of my mindees, as it happens.) She asked what made the noise and I said "oh, that's the chap's gun safe where he stores his shotguns." Assessor looked aghast and asked if it was safe. "Well yes, of course" (you daft bint) "that's why he keeps them in a gun safe."

A CM friend of mine was asked by his DO why he kept the front door unlocked. The conversation went along these lines.

DO: "I see you don't lock your door. Ofsted will downgrade you for that."
    CM: "So Ofsted would like the children to die in a fire if I'm incapacitated?"
    DO: " But an intruder could get in."
    CM: " True, but that's far less likely than a fire, and I have a contingency plan for an intruder."
    DO: "...and what's that?"
    CM: "I'd rip off their arm and beat them around the head with the sticky end."
    DO: "Oh............ do you think you'd be up to doing that in the event?"
    DO: "It's what we were trained for in the Met Police."
    Now I can see exactly why you got Outstanding Bunyip! Great 'Met' story - I'd love to have been a fly on that wall!

L

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Now I can see exactly why you got Outstanding Bunyip! Great 'Met' story - I'd love to have been a fly on that wall!

L
    Tbf, I got outstanding cos I got lucky.......and because the inspection system is a farce. I have learned a lot and do a far better job now of caring for children and meeting families' needs. I suspect that will not be in line with Ofsted's agenda next time I'm inspected. I can say this sort of thing now whilst I am (officially) 'outstanding'. If I say them in a couple of years when I've been downgraded, some will take it as sour grapes.

17. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Tbf, I got outstanding cos I got lucky.......and because the inspection system is a farce. I have learned a lot and do a far better job now of caring for children and meeting families' needs. I suspect that will not be in line with Ofsted's agenda next time I'm inspected. I can say this sort of thing now whilst I am (officially) 'outstanding'. If I say them in a couple of years when I've been downgraded, some will take it as sour grapes.
    Know exactly what you mean.

I've just found a poster that I'm putting up on my wall in case the Big O come to call. It has a picture of a frog on it with the line: "I'm just going to stand outside. If anyone asks, tell them I'm out standing".

Closest thing I'll ever get to that grade.

L

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just found a poster that I'm putting up on my wall in case the Big O come to call. It has a picture of a frog on it with the line: "I'm just going to stand outside. If anyone asks, tell them I'm out standing".

L
    I said this before, but if I do get outstanding next time around I'm going to take a very long, hard look at what I'm doing wrong. There's something very wrong with a system that won't let CMs care for children as their parents want and insists we have them ready for schools that are clearly not ready for them.

20. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

L
    :-) :-) :-)
    Love it. I want one!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lock on my bedroom door with a key and a wardrobe built into my bedroom with the same type of lock. Paper work kept in there so I can say it locked up

With regards to the front door being unlocked my sister asked why do I keep the door locked but the keys in the door... my reply is if there is a fire I need to get out ASAP without running looking for keys and if I am lying on the floor unresponsive the children will still need to go home at the end of the day so hopefully they will open the door to their parents and they see me an call for help... lol
    Tess1981