Contract for after-schooler
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contract for after-schooler

I have been asked to do an after school pick up once a week starting from April. The child's parent has also asked if I'd be able to provide holiday care as and when they needed it. I have said it shouldn't be a problem at the moment as I have no other mindees to look after (got my pre-reg visit tomorrow so should hopefully have certificate before child needs care). Obviously I'd do a TTO contract for the one day a week after school. How would I do a contract for the holiday care? I'll let the mum know she needs to give me plenty of notice of which days she needs me. Does anyone use the 28 day contract by PACEY?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't use the 28 day contract from pacey in this instance. The purpose of that is to create a contract which 'self-destructs' in 28 days. ie. It expires in 28 days with no need for notice to be given by either party. AFAIU that's not what you're planning to do.

Draw up a TTO contract for the after-school arrangement. Make sure you contract to the time and not the pick-up. This may sound dumb, but you should never make the act of collecting from school part of the contracted deal. If you do, you may end up out of pocket and regretting it. You'll be in breach of contract if you fail to do so, even for reasons completely outside your control: snow & ice, vehicle breakdown, etc. etc. (in my case I've suffered delays due to bridge strike, road closure, roadside fire, and chemical spillage - all in a little over 3 years.) Make sure the client understands this from the start.

Do the holiday work as an ad hoc arrangement. You can put your ad hoc rates on a standard pacey contract (I think it's shown as "occasional childminding" ?) I'd also put a note about how much notice you require for a booking. Take the money up front for all ad hoc days and make it non-refundable. Otherwise you may get parents who book you 'just in case' then pull out and want a refund if they find they don't need you, which mucks up your plans an undermines the trust.

This may be splitting hairs, but I note you say "holiday care as and when they needed it". Be sure they understand that it will also be: as and when you agree to do it. Again, this may sound obvious, but you need to beware of parents who may think you're there waiting for whenever they need you and wouldn't dream of turning down a holiday booking. You need to ensure you both understand the whole deal, or there will be bad feeling and recriminations later.

The knack of drawing contracts is to be savvy enough to see potential problems before they happen.

3. Likes lollipop kid, lindyjeho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bunyip. I have many school children on TTO contracts with holiday care as AdHoc. My contract states that for AdHoc care there are no guarantees of hours by either party. Payment needs to be paid upfront and is none refundable. It works great :-) all of this info goes on standard pacey contract.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks. Do you do this all on one contract or 2 separate?

Post Thanks / Like

All on one xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    Great thanks. Do you do this all on one contract or 2 separate?
    I do it on 1 pacey contract. I note "additional terms apply for ad hoc bookings, as shown on my ad hoc bookings form". These cover making the booking, payment in advance, cancellations, etc.