Policy on own family sickness
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May14
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Policy on own family sickness

Quick question on illness. My own daughter was sick last night and as a courtesy I let all the parents know last night, saying that in line with my policy, my daughter will be isolated in the lounge (unused for childminding), so was still happy to have the mindees but final decision is theirs. One came back saying that she would expect the day deducted from my fees as she wasn't happy sending her child. I responded that in line with my policy she would still have to pay for today as I was still happy to have him. Who is right? What would you do? Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vpv View Post
    Quick question on illness. My own daughter was sick last night and as a courtesy I let all the parents know last night, saying that in line with my policy, my daughter will be isolated in the lounge (unused for childminding), so was still happy to have the mindees but final decision is theirs. One came back saying that she would expect the day deducted from my fees as she wasn't happy sending her child. I responded that in line with my policy she would still have to pay for today as I was still happy to have him. Who is right? What would you do? Thanks
    I would close. 48hrs and no fees charged.
    Daughter could have spread virus/bacteria on surfaces, bathroom, kitchen, cloakroom, door handles. May come into contact with mindees or myself inadvertently (what if she was sick again, needed help clearing up? started with diarrhoea and needed bathroom all day?). I don't think you can have one rule for own family and another for mindees. Would you accept a sick mindee (let's say an older child) if parent said they'd be OK sitting in the lounge all day in 'quarantine'? If she is sick again then would you close?

It is painfully expensive and inconvenient for all but has to be done, just as we would turn away a mindee who had been sick last night.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with all that Moggy says.

With d&v I close for 48 hours as it is so easily spread. Same rule for my family as the mindees. I have a duty of care to protect the health of the children in my care. It can end up going round and round for ages otherwise. Not open = no fees - fees paid in advance are refunded against the next payment.

With other cough/cold/sore throat type stuff that DD is off school for I give parents the option and do not charge if they do not send. (They all send)

Family illness is one of the draw backs of childminding.

4. Likes moggy liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm afraid I'm in the close and not charge camp too.
    D&V can spread like wildfire, and you have no way of knowing whether you are clear yourself, hence why it's a 48hour rule.
    You can't expect parents to respect your policies if you don't follow them yourself, or choose which ones you will or won't follow.

I know it's hard, financially it can be an awful burden, but it goes with the territory of self employment.

Hope your DD recovers soon and you manage to avoid it yourself, this years seems to be a particularly nasty bug to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

hi, sorry I would close as well and refund their fees for those days. I think staying open you would run the risk of parents sending their children to you the next day after being sick as this is what you do with own family .

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think she is right and I wouldn't charge. You are open yes, but really for sickness you should exclude. I personally would close if I thought child had a bug. If I really believed it to be a one off thing (something to do with food or something, I think often with your own children you can tell if they are ill or not) and your child now seems fine then I would give the parents the option of sending their children but if they chose not to I would not charge them.

May14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thk u

[Thank you for all your replies!