Prospective clients?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prospective clients?

What information etc... ID if any do you ask for when prospective clients call to arrange a visit?

I ask this because I recently asked a prospective client who had contacted me via email for their contact details, name, address and telephone number when they requested to visit my setting and also asked if they could bring some ID with them too - after a couple of emails prior to asking for the information they seemed very keen but I haven't heard from them since I asked for their contact information. It just seemed a bit strange and has got me thinking.

After contemplating this situation, minding children at home, having my own children at home and inviting complete strangers into my house, I have reassessed my procedure for inviting new clients to my house and wondered what everyone else does. I work with my partner so I am not alone but I still feel quite vulnerable when inviting strangers to visit my setting. And this has been further highlighted by the apparent 'risk' my childminding poses from 'strangers' being invited into my house from insurance companies.

I know we get to know our families but do we ever really know them? and they are complete strangers at first! What do you all do to safeguard yourself and your homes when potential clients request to visit?

2. Likes ajc liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're very wise, and it will also show parents that you are very safety-aware.

I've recently tightened up my own visitor-security after my infamous "adult baby girl" incident.

I don't progress any enquiry 100% online or by SMS message. I don't book an appointment until we've spoken on the phone. I get the parents' phone number and home address, then post or drop my information pack (actually now a much shortened form after too many of these never got returned) through their door. They then have to bring the pack back to me when they visit. That way I know where they live.

I did wonder if we should ask to see mindees' birth certificates. A lot of local nurseries/preschools demand this, and it strikes me that we take a lot of what parents tell us on trust. This crossed my mind when I had a mum's solicitor trying to tell me dad had no rights simply by use of a solicitor's letter, but they were completely unable to come up with any court order/injunction, etc. after the fact.

On a similar note, I often wonder why parents want registered childcare. I say this because every single one I've had round has failed to ask to see my Ofsted certificate or insurance until I offer to show it, then they sort of shrug and say "s'pose so."

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Before anyone visits I ask for their home address, phone number and email address. I always try to speak to them before they come round, although that's not always the case.

I only do first visits outside work hours and I will often be alone here when they come along, unless it's in the evening or at the weekend.

I have to be honest, I don't worry greatly about first visits. I have generally spoken to parents, or emailed at least a couple or times beforehand. in almost 20 years of childminding I have never had an dodgy people coming round, nor have I heard of any childminders coming to harm from potential customers. I think it's good to be aware of potential dangers, but I do think the risks are slight.

As for birth certificates, I do take a copy for the child's file. This has been since I've offered 3 & 4 year old funding and need to do it. It's just easiest to do it for everyone.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip what was the adult baby girl incident ?????

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do a search for 'odd enquiry' (can't link from my iPad)

There are some strange people out there :-/

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take names, address and contact number prior to a visit, and drop a leaflet/mini booklet off
    I arrange evening or weekend appointments initially so no minded children are here - also easier to get information across without being interrupted every 2 mins
    If they bring their child with them I make it clear that they are responsible for/ in control of them and not me, as they don't know me, ( and it gives me chance to see how parents handle their children's behaviour)

When signing up, I now ask for a birth certificate/any court orders, and take a copy, due to a local safeguarding issue where a parent gave completely false information, including their own name and address!
    Poor childminder went to hell and back and just goes to show you can't be too careful when children are involved

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen2010 View Post
    Bunyip what was the adult baby girl incident ?????
    I posted about this earlier this year (or late last year - can't remember the date.)

I had an enquiry, by text message IIRC, asking for a CM to provide services for an "adult baby girl". I was too naive to see through it. I initially posted on forum cos I thought it was funny (as in 'funny ha-ha' not, as it turned out 'funny-disturbing') and another example of the sort of peculiar stuff we hear from parents.

The truth came out later in the day, by way of a message from a member of my CM group who'd also been contacted. The "adult baby girl" was a man in his 40's who liked to dress up and be treated as a baby girl.

We reported it to the police, who refused to investigate as they said no crime had been committed. I suggested they consider it to be 'attempting to procure' given that a baby might have certain 'intimate requirements' but they said they'd only investigate if the messages had asked for particular 'services'.

What i found most surprising was that the LSCB were rather uninterested and didn't consider it to be a safeguarding matter.

There was a bit of a misunderstanding here (for which I don't blame anyone, given my usual self) where it was generaly seen as hilarious, though I found it quite disturbing and was quite shaken by the whole thing - if only because I realised how easy it might be to be taken in, and how exposed we are potentially to inappropriate enquiries.

I take the point that the risk of harm is very low, and incidences are infrequent/non-existent to date. But I'd also note there's a first time for everything. Lone workers are always at risk, and I recall the fact that estate agents had never gone missing before didn't do Susie Lamplugh any good.

9. Likes Koala, loocyloo, caz3007 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I take the point that the risk of harm is very low, and incidences are infrequent/non-existent to date. that we know of. The CM might have been too embarrased to come forward or not be a member of this wonderful forum.

But I'd also note there's a first time for everything. Lone workers are always at risk, and I recall the fact that estate agents had never gone missing before didn't do Susie Lamplugh any good.
    I also agree that there is a first time for everything although we all do as much as we can to protect ourselves and our charges.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

This has really made me think! Has anyone ever carried out first meetings in a more public place like a park or coffee shop?

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was amazed last December when I had discussion with social services on who can and who cant visit during working hours.

Workmen cant (uness it is an emergency), my own grown up children and my mother cant unless checked, ex mindees and parents cant call in for a play date, friends from toddlers groups etc cant, in fact no friends or family can visit unless checked BUT prospective parents can knock on the door and I am allowed to let them in (not that i ever would).

Being in a small village I know most of the families who contact me but even then i only do visits when minded children arent here.