Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Progress Tracking Wheel...

Hi everyone,
    Wondering if anyone has a progress tracking wheel they wouldnt mind sharing with me? I have found only one example online so just after some ideas so I can do my own?
    Thank you x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie Morrison View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Wondering if anyone has a progress tracking wheel they wouldnt mind sharing with me? I have found only one example online so just after some ideas so I can do my own?
    Thank you x
    Development Matters is a very good non statutory guide to track progress...
    once you have set the next steps you can track progress via your observations according to age and stage of development and check it against Early Years Outcomes

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Development Matters is a very good non statutory guide to track progress...
    once you have set the next steps you can track progress via your observations according to age and stage of development and check it against Early Years Outcomes
    Thanks Simona, I have a Level 3 and buckets of preschool/nursery experience in London so am confident with Development Matters, thing is I am now under Essex council and its a specific request of my Development Officer that I use a progress wheel or tracking chart :/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona, I have a Level 3 and buckets of preschool/nursery experience in London so am confident with Development Matters, thing is I am now under Essex council and its a specific request of my Development Officer that I use a progress wheel or tracking chart :/
    In that case I would ask your DO to give you an example of what they want.

You do not have to do what your DO says - if you are confident with what you are doing then stick to that

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    In that case I would ask your DO to give you an example of what they want.

You do not have to do what your DO says - if you are confident with what you are doing then stick to that

Miffy xx
    Hi Miffy, Yes I spoke with one of the local CM's yesterday and she said our Dev officer likes to imply that we have to do things her way but that she just works to please ofsted not the LA, think I will do that too, although the wheel does look visually easier? and interesting so I might trial it and see how I feel xx

Simona Guest

In that case I would say that your experience will dictate how you track children's progress...
    you are the expert and the children are in your care
    you are the one going to be inspected and able to show the inspector how you get the children to achieve

LAs are losing their role in terms of support but they insist on CMs using prescribed forms devised by them which often mean nothing to us...their conditions are beginning to be stifling...those happy to follow should ...those unhappy should do as their skills tells them
    I have always refused to use the LA forms they have invented because ...if I had...I would surely have not achieved my grade and would have been unable to have a professional discussion with the inspectors
    I also know many cms who do use LA forms but are confused

Inspections are now based on how we teach and how children get to the outcomes...time we stood up to LAs
    I call it 'principled non-compliance'...and nowhere does it say that we have to comply to their rules and paperwork?

What would happen if we refused to use their paperwork? or a specified Tracking chart?
    I use my 'professional interpretation' of the EYFS and that does it for me...
    if I were to fail my inspection I cannot them blame the LAs for giving me the 'wrong forms' or buying the wrong trackers!

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    In that case I would say that your experience will dictate how you track children's progress...
    you are the expert and the children are in your care
    you are the one going to be inspected and able to show the inspector how you get the children to achieve

LAs are losing their role in terms of support but they insist on CMs using prescribed forms devised by them which often mean nothing to us...their conditions are beginning to be stifling...those happy to follow should ...those unhappy should do as their skills tells them
    I have always refused to use the LA forms they have invented because ...if I had...I would surely have not achieved my grade and would have been unable to have a professional discussion with the inspectors
    I also know many cms who do use LA forms but are confused

Inspections are now based on how we teach and how children get to the outcomes...time we stood up to LAs
    I call it 'principled non-compliance'...and nowhere does it say that we have to comply to their rules and paperwork?

What would happen if we refused to use their paperwork? or a specified Tracking chart?
    I use my 'professional interpretation' of the EYFS and that does it for me...
    if I were to fail my inspection I cannot them blame the LAs for giving me the 'wrong forms' or buying the wrong trackers!
    Thank you! Yes I have sat and thought about it and really wouldnt feel happy with the wheel or a few of the other methods she pushed at me, I dont feel Ive had much support in setting up to CM and really wasnt sure how much direction I was supposed to take or how much I was supposed to work to please the LA - the last nursery I worked in was in LB of Havering and they had us skipping through hoops. My Ofsted pre-reg inspector was lovely, loved all the books and forms I had written and did tell me not to let the LA push me around lol now I know what she meant!
    Reading and posting here on the forum is great! Thanks again!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am feeling much like you Tracie Morrison - I am finding the prescribed paperwork given to me by my development officer is very 'schooly' and is not very parent or child friendly at all! I have been developing my own and think that as long as we are meeting the requirements of the EYFS and are comfortable enough to explain the benefits of what we are using then it is the way forward. I was going to make a note on my action plan that I had reviewed my options and after discussion with my development decided to develop my own.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    I am feeling much like you Tracie Morrison - I am finding the prescribed paperwork given to me by my development officer is very 'schooly' and is not very parent or child friendly at all! I have been developing my own and think that as long as we are meeting the requirements of the EYFS and are comfortable enough to explain the benefits of what we are using then it is the way forward. I was going to make a note on my action plan that I had reviewed my options and after discussion with my development decided to develop my own.
    My dev officer is leaving next week, my LA are not much help at all, if I call with a query no one seems able to answer without passing me around 3-4 members of staff or telling me someone will call me back which they then dont!, its beyond ridiculous! I just keep thinking that if I didnt have my nursery background I would probably be totally lost as to what I needed to do!