Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year check - not done by current childcare provider

Hi All

I am returning from maternity leave soon and have the pleasure of one of my old mindees returning.

The child currently attends 2 half days at the local nursery. Mums working hours have changed and she needs another days childcare - so child is coming to me soon for 5 hours (one day) per week and will continue to attend the nursery for the 2 half days.

Child turned 2 at the beginning of August so I asked Mum how the 2 year check went - she hasn't had one with Health Visitor and Nursery haven't done one either?!? Child has been going to this nursery now for more than 12 months, she was only with me previously for 3 hours per week for 12 weeks - was a short term arrangement as I was going on maternity leave.

I asked Mum to mention it to the nursery - have they done one/do they plan on doing one?!?

Where do I go from here regarding this if the nursery aren't going to produce one?!? Do I do one? And at what point? She has obviously attended the nursery longer and will be in their care for the most amount of time per week 9 hours compared to my 5.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Thanks x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a child start with me who was three months off three years old. Once the child had been with me a reasonable time I did my own 2 year check (I know....nearly three). I asked to see nursery's and they hadn't done one, which prompted them to do so. We had a copy of each other's and one for the child's red book.

She should ask her HV why she hasn't been sent the relevant forms for the HV check. For my son, I was sent forms and was asked to get him to try the actions as per the form and asked about his speech etc.

3. Likes Dilly Daydream liked this post
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all mine at 2yrs 6 mths so have just this week done the check on my August birthday 2 yr old.

5. Likes Dilly Daydream liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our 2 year checks are done in the week of their 2nd birthday so I have just done one a week before they are 2. You have to do one legally even of the 2 year check with a HV has been done, any child you look after between the ages of 2 and 3 you must do one.....get in touch with nursery and ask to see it.....

7. Likes Dilly Daydream liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In case you haven't seen it, the document about 2 year checks is in free resources

Here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...02%20-%203.pdf

9. Likes Dilly Daydream liked this post
    Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the replies - am seeing Mum before LO starts so will see if she had any luck with nursery.

HV wrote to Mum to ask her to call to discuss but Mum never managed to speak to her successfully - left numerous voicemails and no return call. She is now in a job working 60+ hours per week and hasn't had chance to chase HV up. Unfortunately this is usual in our area (HV's are known to be pretty slack - I am VERY VERY lucky as mine is amazing!!).

Thanks for the link - will read through the doc before LO starts (I haven't done a 2 year check yet LO's were all too young when I finished to go on maternity leave) so I guess this LO will be my first subject/victim I have no concerns about development though as LO is amazing and I am so glad the family is returning xx