Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    development officer
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Increasing childminding fees

Hi all,

I would like ideas in writing a letter to parents informing them of a fee increase

Thank you in advance

Jukebox

Post Thanks / Like

Dear xxxxx

I am writing to inform you that with effect from (date) my childminding fees will be xxxx

Or something like that - doesn't have to be long winded.

You could add something about when to fill in new contract

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Things like this, I always think it is better to actually talk to the parents face to face. Then just follow it up with a formal letter.

I think handing over letters with no discussion before hand, takeS away a 'personal element' and makes things seem a bit more cold, IYKWIM.

For me, I advised current parents that I was putting my fees up to £x for new clients, and as they were exisiting clients, I would reduce the amount of the increase. Now I only have one parent on a reduced rate, all my others are on my bew fees. That parent is leaving in Sept, so by then all parents will be at my new rate.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to put my fees up but I feel mean =(

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I can understand that money is tight for everyone at the moment, I think parents have to realise that you need to make enough money in order to keep your business running and keep providing the service for them xx

Simona Guest

Increasing fees and discussing finances is not something we all feel comfortable with...or at least some more than others

One good way of informing parents is to have a very simple 'clause' in your contract under Terms and Conditions...example:
    'Fees will be reviewed each year in .......(state month)'
    'Following the review parents will be given 4 weeks notice of any increase'.

Parents will then be aware and if you decide to increase the fees...you may decide an increase is not necessary.... after you have reviewed the need to do so or otherwise parents will have been warned and have opportunity to discuss with you.

Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I think simonas idea is good, and I would make a point of sending out the letter saying after an annual review you are NOT putting prices up so they understand when you do!

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done similar to Simonas suggestion. I sent out my star of year newsletter with my holidays etc on, and included my fees rise for the year. The last two years it has been nil, but hopefully when and if I do need to increase fees it won't be such a shock. The idea will have been planted that a rise in fees in considered annually.

If I were increasing, I would probably just say that in order to maintain the viability of the business and the quality of the provision in the face of rising costs, etc, from x date fees will rise to y...
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.