Online childminding systems
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Online childminding systems

I does anyone use any of the online paperwork reducing systems, do they actually reduce paperwork? Do Ofsted approve, are they any less time consuming? Have been childminder for 4yrs but took a year out when had 2nd child & am finding the paperwork side of things slipping, am due inspection soon & am panicking, help?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes I use Orbit which is free. I upload my photos and select areas of learning from drop down menus which makes it quicker. I still print off and stick in learning journals for parents and Ofsted to see as during an inspection, a computer problem may cause you not to have anything to show the inspector

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh that sounds good, I already do learning journals & a daily diary which goes home every night & always has a pic a day in, its all the policies etc! Im hoping I'm over thinking everything but as only got a satisfactory on my Ofsted 4yrs ago I'm stressing out!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a monthly/ annual payable system that I know will get blocked if I mention the name. I use it for everything, my pre reg inspector was happy and spoke of more and more inspections they do where they are presented with a lap top not paperwork.

I find it easy to manage, has the up to date EYO on it for observations and assessments, shows instantly in graph form the progress made since children have arrived in my setting. It generates invoices for me and sends messages to parents if I have recorded a medical issue.

The parents love it, they can constantly see their child's learning journey and diary and obs photos, they can contribute online, I can see when parents last accessed site....so far only good points, but I am used to generating online data and recording obs and ass so find it good to negotiate.
    It also makes you keep up to date as parents can see all the info - if you give them access, which I have.
    Scored points with inspector on working with parents as their contribution and liaising is all there for Ins to see.
    Currently this system does suggest you can print of everything if you want to - but that would defeat the point for me.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, think this may be the route i go down as other half is not to happy with the paperwork mountains that appear every time i need to update or check stuff! My only worry was what happens to information if you decide to leave said site?

Post Thanks / Like

I use orbit at the moment it's very good, but they've been slow to implement updates, so I'm looking into tapestry at the moment looks really good.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I use a monthly/ annual payable system that I know will get blocked if I mention the name. I use it for everything, my pre reg inspector was happy and spoke of more and more inspections they do where they are presented with a lap top not paperwork.

I find it easy to manage, has the up to date EYO on it for observations and assessments, shows instantly in graph form the progress made since children have arrived in my setting. It generates invoices for me and sends messages to parents if I have recorded a medical issue.

The parents love it, they can constantly see their child's learning journey and diary and obs photos, they can contribute online, I can see when parents last accessed site....so far only good points, but I am used to generating online data and recording obs and ass so find it good to negotiate.
    It also makes you keep up to date as parents can see all the info - if you give them access, which I have.
    Scored points with inspector on working with parents as their contribution and liaising is all there for Ins to see.
    Currently this system does suggest you can print of everything if you want to - but that would defeat the point for me.
    Very interesting Flora Dora...I fully understand this system saves on printing but my question is does it save on actual paperwork and hours spent ...the time we need to spend on filling those online forms?

I have my own devised system which I can complete online ...I do print it at the end of each assessment because I like the children's portfolio to be 'visible' so that children can look at their own LJs

What happens if the system goes down ? just a thought.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Very interesting Flora Dora...I fully understand this system saves on printing but my question is does it save on actual paperwork and hours spent ...the time we need to spend on filling those online forms?

I have my own devised system which I can complete online ...I do print it at the end of each assessment because I like the children's portfolio to be 'visible' so that children can look at their own LJs

What happens if the system goes down ? just a thought.
    I use the same system that I think FloraDora is referring to and I love it

When loading on observations, I find it really easy to link it to the EYFS because of the system they use and when it comes to the 2 year check, regular termly progress checks etc, it makes the report so much easier to do!

I spend a lot of time on it, but I load a lot more information now and feel that I have a much better picture of the childrens development than previously

I have all of my risk assessments, policies, permissions, contracts, fire drills, accidents, medications etc all in one place and because it was so easy to use, my end of year accounts were handed in in june

so in short, it takes time, yes, but i don't think any more time than you would spend on your system

Hx

PS it is a fantastically secure system, they have invested a lot of money in to making it right. the only time i have had an outage was when they were doing planned weekend maintenance and anyone expecting an inspection was able to opt out
    Last edited by Helcatt; 19-01-2014 at 11:12 AM.

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Helcatt View Post
    I use the same system that I think FloraDora is referring to and I love it

When loading on observations, I find it really easy to link it to the EYFS because of the system they use and when it comes to the 2 year check, regular termly progress checks etc, it makes the report so much easier to do!

I spend a lot of time on it, but I load a lot more information now and feel that I have a much better picture of the childrens development than previously

I have all of my risk assessments, policies, permissions, contracts, fire drills, accidents, medications etc all in one place and because it was so easy to use, my end of year accounts were handed in in june

so in short, it takes time, yes, but i don't think any more time than you would spend on your system

Hx

PS it is a fantastically secure system, they have invested a lot of money in to making it right. the only time i have had an outage was when they were doing planned weekend maintenance and anyone expecting an inspection was able to opt out
    Thank you for your reply...very useful

Post Thanks / Like

i find orbit saves me tons of time, i don't print mine as a rule as i would expect the ofsted inspector to view as a parent would so saves me a ton of money too on printing. You can save a pdf backup to so that you never loose work although I've been using them sine sept 2012 and have never had a problem and haven't heard of anyone who has. I have just tried a trial on tapestry and although it does seem good from my perspective it doesn't seem as parent friendly as orbit, don't want to put off my current parents so I'm bidding my time for now, going to stick with orbit and then maybe when i get a new starter put them on tapestry.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    i find orbit saves me tons of time, i don't print mine as a rule as i would expect the ofsted inspector to view as a parent would so saves me a ton of money too on printing. You can save a pdf backup to so that you never loose work although I've been using them sine sept 2012 and have never had a problem and haven't heard of anyone who has. I have just tried a trial on tapestry and although it does seem good from my perspective it doesn't seem as parent friendly as orbit, don't want to put off my current parents so I'm bidding my time for now, going to stick with orbit and then maybe when i get a new starter put them on tapestry.
    May I ask if these systems are free or do you pay for them? I know the one with the 'day of the baby' is chargeable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    May I ask if these systems are free or do you pay for them? I know the one with the 'day of the baby' is chargeable
    Orbit is totally free. Tapestry is £36 a year for up to 12 children, it has the added benefit of being able yo upload videos and for parents to be able yo comment on your photos. If you're thinking of trying on rid stick to orbit to start with is very easy to understand for parents, they can upload you pics to, they're called postcards.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Orbit is totally free. Tapestry is £36 a year for up to 12 children, it has the added benefit of being able yo upload videos and for parents to be able yo comment on your photos. If you're thinking of trying on rid stick to orbit to start with is very easy to understand for parents, they can upload you pics to, they're called postcards.
    Thank you zippy....I have a good system in place that I have adapted over the years and continue to adapt as things change and now reflect EYFS 12 and Progress check
    Mine too can be sent to parents via email and for them to input
    I was curious but not aware you can also upload photos on those we can purchase...I would be a bit concerned about that but I can see it works for others.

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just joined both! However I see that the one beginning with o, has no planning forms on it and what users do is paste their next steps on to a word document

Does the one beginning with T have a planning page?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

17. Likes Richard, wee_elf liked this post