would you use wine when cooking?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default would you use wine when cooking?

Now I know the "theory" - when cooking with wine the alcohol burns off but would you make food for mindees with it? I never have -just in case!.
    Anyway, last week I had made bolognaise for tea. I made it without a glug of wine and fed the kids. Once they'd had theirs and were watching TV - in another room - I added some wine and left it to simmer so dh and I could have it when the mindees had left. When mum came to pick up she commented on it smelling nice so I explained that I had added wine after her children had eaten. She told me not to worry about it as she adds wine to stews, pasta sauces, gravy etc and is quite happy for me to use it when cooking. Obviously I'm not about to start making sherry laden trifles but would you add it?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doris127 View Post
    Now I know the "theory" - when cooking with wine the alcohol burns off but would you make food for mindees with it? I never have -just in case!.
    Anyway, last week I had made bolognaise for tea. I made it without a glug of wine and fed the kids. Once they'd had theirs and were watching TV - in another room - I added some wine and left it to simmer so dh and I could have it when the mindees had left. When mum came to pick up she commented on it smelling nice so I explained that I had added wine after her children had eaten. She told me not to worry about it as she adds wine to stews, pasta sauces, gravy etc and is quite happy for me to use it when cooking. Obviously I'm not about to start making sherry laden trifles but would you add it?
    OMG - it's supposed to go in the pot??????

I thought the wine was for the chef.

Hic !

3. Likes sing-low, tas, clairer, Tulip, cathtee liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't very often cook with wine but if I did I wouldn't share with the children I'd add it just to my portion

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

OMG - it's supposed to go in the pot??????

I thought the wine was for the chef.

Hic !
    That's what I thought too!!! Lol

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't add wine to kids food. I know it's supposed to cook off but could be dodgy territory where parent's thoughts are concerned.