Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safer food better business

Hi I have only just came across this document. Do we have to print it out and fill it in? And if so where do we then keep it?
    Thanks

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to let your local health authority know as they will register you as a food business. They will probably want to come out and visit you to give you the safer food,better childminder folder and ask a few simple questions.

Just keep the folder in with other folders and ensure you fill it in regularly. That's all you have to do.

X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to get the one for childminders, as FSA publish different editions for different types of business. It's available as a download or you can order a paper copy which is posted to you together with an A4 cover sticker to use on the front of a ring-binder (assuming this has not gone out of print, as many govt documents are wont to do.)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they send it out any more. You have to print it out. There is no phone number given to call.

Food Standards Agency - Safer food, better business for childminders

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my word, its 48 pages long but I need it!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, lots of that is blank pages for you to fill in (it explains what you have to do - not difficult or time consuming).It's not 48 pages of reading.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, i've downloaded the childminding booklet. Easy enough to fill in. Does that mean I don't need to ring anyone now, it's just the form that needs filling in?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You still need to phone your local environmental health office (at the local authority) and register as a food business. It is virtually impossible for a CM to operate without coming under your EHO's definition of a "food business". They will almost certainly carry out an inspection. Be sure to ask them what they expect in the way of training, systems to be in place, etc.

The exact requirements/expectations do vary from one LA to another. As a general rule, most will want you to have done a level 2 Food Safety course and use Safer Food Better Business for Childminders as the basis for your procedures.

It's nothing to panic about, all fairly straightforward. I'd say most people who've never actually poisoned their family are quite capable of passing inspection with flying colours. In fact, I've seen more CMs than restaurants getting the top marks.

9. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

One last question! Will I be downgraded if I don't have this done before Ofsted come?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmamc View Post
    Thank you!

One last question! Will I be downgraded if I don't have this done before Ofsted come?
    I wouldn't like to say, given the apparent tendency of some individual inspectors to make arbitrary judgments which are not necessarily based on regulatory requirements.

The actual requirements are detailed EYFS Statutory Framework sections 3.45, 3.46, 3.47 (Food & Drink) plus 3.72 which concerns information given to parents. Personally, I would challenge anything an inspector tried to demand that was outside these requirements. I suppose they could regard it as a concern if they thought you were trying to avoid working with EHO.

In any case, get onto EHO asap and then put your due diligence and food management system in place using the pack as your model.

Are you expecting to see Ofsted soon? If so, all you can do is demonstrate that you've done everything possible and are waiting for EHO to come.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, yes I'm waiting for the dreaded call anytime!

Post Thanks / Like

Im in Hertfordshire and you do not need to register as a food business anymore. I just emailed the family information service and asked if I needed a food hygiene certificate or register my business and they replied with no. Maybe email your local family service.