how long to keep all childminding records?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how long to keep all childminding records?

Hi everyone.. I hope you guys are all doing well.

I've stopped childminding now and am in the throws of moving.. so I'm wondering how long I should keep everything for?

Ofsted everything needs to be kept for an appropriate amount of time and then I assume accounts need to be kept for 7 years ay?

I'm moving from our house to a smaller flat and am now having to de-clutter..

what are your thoughts on keeping stuff ie. attendance records, medical forms filled in etc?

what do you feel is appropriate.. after hours of filling in all this stuff I would hate to get rid and then find it may be needed as a duty of care??

warm regards.. xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to keep all accident records until a child is 21 years and 3 months old because once they are 18 they can make a claim in their own right for three years. I know I wouldn't remember who was who so I keep their Contract, Child Information form, attendance record (so I could prove a child wasn't with me on a particular day) and a photograph of them so I can prove and remember who they are.

I use a lockable metal file box for holding my day to day records and it is locked when I am not around. I just have a cardboard box in the loft with past files in.

If you don't have a loft then a metal file box might contain the necessary files.

Your accounts need to be kept for 7 years.

Any development record go with the child and any left behind I would shred when you have moved.

Good luck with the move.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the EYFS 2012 just says

3.70 Records relating to individual children must be retained for a
    reasonable period of time after they have left the provision.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I thought the EYFS 2012 just says

3.70 Records relating to individual children must be retained for a
    reasonable period of time after they have left the provision.

The Accident ones is a requirement of your Public Liability Insurance. I forgot to say keep all PL Insurance Certs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I've kept everything too, apart from stuff to do with learning and development, just incase someone decides to sue me in the future

Non childminder member
    Carer
    Post Thanks / Like

At my safeguarding course they said to keep records like accidents etc till they are 25yrs old.