Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Individual planning - how often?

Do you make a plan every week? Also if I make a grid for each of the learning areas and list some activites to do under those headings, how often should I make this grid/plan? Weekly or monthly?

I want to get the balance right and not over do it but also don't want to have too little!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Individual planning links to different things -

Observations - which are followed up by next steps ideas

Continuous provision - the toys and games you always have available - which are tweaked to ensure they are appropriate for the individual

Group planning - if you do it - which you change / adapt so every child is included

Routines - which are tailored to make sure each child eats, sleeps, rests, plays etc through the day

Outings - which meet the needs of each child in different ways

So it's not about 'how much you do' because you are doing it all the time - it's about how much you record...

I have a lot of routine information / continuous provision plans etc and then in the child's play plan (see free resources) I show how it links individually.

I hope that helps

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do any written planning - I just look back at the points I made for child's next steps and use those to plan activities and also take into account child's interests. If you want to do individual planning probably best to start off with a really simple form and do it weekly not monthly as children's interests change so fast. Try out your form for a couple of weeks, decide what works and what doesn't and amend it, if you find you are just repeating the next steps you wrote in the LJ then little point making more work for yourself.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. This is really helpful stuff for someone just starting out. Thanks again

My observations will identify next steps. Can I record next steps comments in the learning journey or should I record these separately somewhere else?
    Last edited by itsybitsyteeny; 19-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My next steps and indeed any planning relating to an individual child goes in their learning journey....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    My next steps and indeed any planning relating to an individual child goes in their learning journey....
    How do you present your learning journal? Would you mind giving me an idea on how you do this?
    Also do you provide a book for parents to eventually keep with photos etc?
    Thanks for your help...