Thread: Giving notice

Registered Childminder since
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Giving notice

Just anticipating a certain situation arising and wanted to know what to do if it does.

I have a parent who is possibly going to give notice that LO is to go to nursery come September. So that's 3 months away. I have a family interested in starting sooner than that. Can I just say to leaving parents I am giving you the 4 weeks notice required in contract rather than wait for 3 months as the new parents will not wait that long.

It seems a bit harsh personally but it's a business decision.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you could/can but I wouldn't do it personally. I have never given notice early on a child going to school or nursery as I've always worried that it will affect my local reputation. Lots of my parents and local people know me and I'm convinced that if they thought I did this, that they would worry I would give notice before their children started school/nursery. HOwever, that is my personal business decision. If work is slow in your area and you are worried you will not replace the child in September then I think it is reasonable to give notice explaining to parent you can't afford to be without work in September.

What I would do this is speak to parent of current mindee again to ask her to confirm her plans one way or the other telling her you are currently turning away work to see if that helps her make up her mind?

The other option is: do you have any free days where you have a space so you could start new child on, then increase the days with a variation for continuity of care? Then you will have 4 under 5's til september then back to 3 again when other child starts nursery.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can…

Although perhaps it might be wise to consider that it might have a negative effect on future business especially if the current parent is, for want of a better phase, a 'loud mouth' and is likely to broadcast the fact that you 'ditched her at the drop of a hat'.

The pre-requisite of offering a service business is not to create too many enemies ~ word of mouth is a powerful force in childminding and works both ways ~ a recommendation can be worth a thousand adverts.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    you could/can but I wouldn't do it personally. I have never given notice early on a child going to school or nursery as I've always worried that it will affect my local reputation. Lots of my parents and local people know me and I'm convinced that if they thought I did this, that they would worry I would give notice before their children started school/nursery. HOwever, that is my personal business decision. If work is slow in your area and you are worried you will not replace the child in September then I think it is reasonable to give notice explaining to parent you can't afford to be without work in September.

What I would do this is speak to parent of current mindee again to ask her to confirm her plans one way or the other telling her you are currently turning away work to see if that helps her make up her mind?

The other option is: do you have any free days where you have a space so you could start new child on, then increase the days with a variation for continuity of care? Then you will have 4 under 5's til september then back to 3 again when other child starts nursery.
    Unfortunately I already have a variation on the days due to a sibling of another child. I wouldn't usually drop parents but they are dropping me because I have decided not to continue offering 3 yr old funding. The new child would be full time (current on is 25 hrs a week) so my dilemma is I am turning down a massive income increase....

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Unfortunately I already have a variation on the days due to a sibling of another child. I wouldn't usually drop parents but they are dropping me because I have decided not to continue offering 3 yr old funding. The new child would be full time (current on is 25 hrs a week) so my dilemma is I am turning down a massive income increase....
    ok, if parent is wanting to use funding then she is likely to use the nursery. I can see why she wants to send him to nursery - but is she considering sending him the full day then or would she want you to drop him and pick him up from nursery and do wraparound?

I would chat to her. Tell her you have the option of a new child and you can't afford to turn it down. Could you offer to help find her someone to help out until September when he starts nursery.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    ok, if parent is wanting to use funding then she is likely to use the nursery. I can see why she wants to send him to nursery - but is she considering sending him the full day then or would she want you to drop him and pick him up from nursery and do wraparound?

I would chat to her. Tell her you have the option of a new child and you can't afford to turn it down. Could you offer to help find her someone to help out until September when he starts nursery.
    Unfortunately I don't do pick ups and wouldn't be able to help that way. They have a big extensive family so wouldn't struggle and I am not feeling too sympathetic as they really tried to pressurize me into continuing with the funding despite the fact it doesn't cover my hourly rate (and they are both highly paid professionals!).

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just emailed all my families with changes coming up in September such as nursery and school to flag up in advance that i am just starting to think about organisation after the summer and wonder if everyone could let me know their plans and hours required for Sept when they know, maybe it might prompt them to say they won't be using you at all or whatever and that may make the decision easier.