Don't feel like I'm doing less paperwork :(
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't feel like I'm doing less paperwork :(

I had hoped with the reformed eyfs I would be doing less paperwork, but it doesn't feel like it.

I still have everything written, risk assessments, daily checklists for hazards etc. I have more policies than ever which I review every 6 months along with risk assessments (perhaps I don't need them all written but I can't bring myself to throw any away). With 6 learning journeys to update and the observations, assessments and planning to go with these I sometimes feel overwhelmed with it all.

I've had a couple of days to myself after Christmas/New Year before starting back and I'm spending most of my time catching up

I hoped that a nice break at Christmas would leave me feeling refreshed and ready to start the new year, but I'm dreading it, working 7.15 to 6pm most days and I feel like the rest of my time is spent doing paperwork, cleaning, cooking, washing etc.

Anyone else feel like this?

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Me! I feel like that too. I keep getting that awful feeling in my tummy like when you're at school and you realise it's sunday night and you haven't done your homework!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I review my policies and risk assessments annually unless something changes I feel the need to do it earlier (new child starting, accident etc)
    I've taught the children to take photos, print them off using the pogo and stick them in themselves, obs are mainly one line unless something stands out as needing to be longer or I'm doing it to work on a concern. I write the obs as I see them and write up the link and next step during a quiet moment in the day, next step gets written staight onto plan.

I do very little outside of 'working hours' now apart from training and preparing paperwork for new parents. It was all getting on top of me and looking at other settings paperwork, decided I was doing far too much that wasn't necessary.

4. Likes Rolacolapink liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my paperwork has reduced that much since the revised EYFS came in, but then I had already cut back a lot on what I had been doing before then anyway.

I don't have all that many policies & procedures now. I used to have a folder full, but most of them were just there for the sake of it. I combined as many as I could into one and got rid of any that really didn't mean much.
    I also cut back on risk assessments. I did a general one for any time we were out of the house, including things like lost child, accidents etc, then did small individual ones for each place we visited - library, school run etc. Before that I found I was repeating myself on a lot of points (ie. lost child on every assessment). I then did RAs per child, rather than per activity. So for child A, I put their risks - putting things in their mouths, climbing etc. It meant I only had to RA for the children present, not think about every possibility for every possible child.

I also have 6 LJs to do & that is one area where I know I do too much. I have tried to cut down, but it's very hard to let go of paperwork you have always done, especially when you've got an inspection looming!

6. Likes daveozoalor liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't think my paperwork has reduced that much since the revised EYFS came in, but then I had already cut back a lot on what I had been doing before then anyway.

I don't have all that many policies & procedures now. I used to have a folder full, but most of them were just there for the sake of it. I combined as many as I could into one and got rid of any that really didn't mean much.
    I also cut back on risk assessments. I did a general one for any time we were out of the house, including things like lost child, accidents etc, then did small individual ones for each place we visited - library, school run etc. Before that I found I was repeating myself on a lot of points (ie. lost child on every assessment). I then did RAs per child, rather than per activity. So for child A, I put their risks - putting things in their mouths, climbing etc. It meant I only had to RA for the children present, not think about every possibility for every possible child.

I also have 6 LJs to do & that is one area where I know I do too much. I have tried to cut down, but it's very hard to let go of paperwork you have always done, especially when you've got an inspection looming!
    How sensible! Why didn't I think of that??

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    How sensible! Why didn't I think of that??
    I think I got the idea from a former member, so can't really take the credit for it!

It does make sense, and it's what we do constantly anyway. Obvioulsy each child's RA needs updating regularly as they change so much (particularly babies), but it's really not much more than a quick note to say they are now pulling themselves to stand, so watch what they pull themselves up at, make sure hazzards are removed as they can reach higher etc.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

That is such a good idea! I will adopt that when I update my risk assessments - was going to be this week but think it will be next week now

I had been changing things when new children started, but this makes so much sense too

Hx

10. Likes daveozoalor liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I risk assess depending on the children doing the activity at the time... it's much quicker because i know the children well and I don't have to think about every little thing eg a 4 year old is unlikely to put things in his mouth...

I have policies and procedures - but only the statutory ones and others that are important and I check them annually - a bit more often for safeguarding.

I have 4 LJs at the moment and they do take a while to do but I try and keep them brief - as long as they show exactly where the child is 'at' then I don't feel there is a need for too much paper that nobody is ever going to read! I will obviously do more if there is a problem or parents raise a concern.

I have been asked by a few people to write something about how to cut down paperwork - it's on my 'to do' list.

Hth

12. Likes daveozoalor liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only review and update risk assessments and policies annually or when Something changes and adjustments are obvious. As for Learning Journals, I'm happy to make more of an effort here as I like to present the parents with something they will want to keep for the future. Having see the recent ones from preschools I'm proud of my efforts
    and I feel that what I present to parents is on a far more personal level than the schools. However if I felt that the folders where taking up far more of my time, I would explain to parents that I would be changing the format and why

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

After reading through all the comments I think I will review annually rather than 6 monthly and really try to cut down on paperwork if I can.

I'm finally up to date with all my paperwork and all the lj's now so looking forward to the weekend

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I'm drowning at the moment.

I am doing my planning for the next 6 months, need to update my policies and review my risk assessments then tackle the learning journey's. The last few days of my Christmas break have been anything but a break, and I still won't have it all done.

Right, I'm off to get a coffee and plough on.....

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what? I do have great sympathy with you guys over in England and I often thank my lucky stars that *****mind in Wales

I have recently taken on a new child who has moved over the border and on the first settling in visit I was presented with an extensive 'development file' for said child. My initial thoughts when having a flick through were just how sorry I felt for the person who had put so much time and effort into completing it. Then i went on to feel guilty that actually it was of little use to me. I was able to ascertain where the child was at after they spent a couple of hours with me and once I plucked up the courage to let Mum know that she wouldn't be getting anything like that from me the relief from Mum was obvious.

I do wonder sometimes who all this paperwork is for. Is it for the parents? Is it for OFSTED or does it actually benefit the most important person in the whole equation - the child?

Just my thoughts as an outsider looking in

17. Likes loocyloo, N/A, daveozoalor liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Do you know what? I do have great sympathy with you guys over in England and I often thank my lucky stars that *****mind in Wales

I have recently taken on a new child who has moved over the border and on the first settling in visit I was presented with an extensive 'development file' for said child. My initial thoughts when having a flick through were just how sorry I felt for the person who had put so much time and effort into completing it. Then i went on to feel guilty that actually it was of little use to me. I was able to ascertain where the child was at after they spent a couple of hours with me and once I plucked up the courage to let Mum know that she wouldn't be getting anything like that from me the relief from Mum was obvious.

I do wonder sometimes who all this paperwork is for. Is it for the parents? Is it for OFSTED or does it actually benefit the most important person in the whole equation - the child?

Just my thoughts as an outsider looking in

i agree with you and i'm in england! my parents like looking through the development files, and looking at the pictures, and most seem to like the 6mthly (ish - very ish ) summaries i do, but as you say, i know exactly where any of my children are at any given point and where they are going next! i think that probably the biggest use of the development files is so we can prove ourselves to ofsted and show the evidence that the child is developing with us!

i am thinking of ways to reduce the summaries i write, and i already do fewer observations than i used to, but my concern is that when ofsted appear i forget everything i know and don't remember to tell them anything important, hence my having everything written down!

19. Likes daveozoalor liked this post