Something just isn't working right for me.
Since starting childminding and despite my policy about payment/termination of contract specifically stating that I need any notification of termination of contract IN WRITING, no-one seems to heed this. I've only had two notices given and one has been by email (which I suppose is sort of in writing) and then the last one a couple of weeks ago, another one verbally. The child was going into before/after school care at a local nursery on the following Monday.

What is wrong with people? Am I supposed to stand my ground and insist on termination in writing (and then with one month's notice) or is this too harsh and do I jut cut and run as long as payments are up to date?

I make it clear at initial meetings that I don't accept notice by text and it has to be in writing (sorry, texts are very convenient but rather too easy in my view)
The annoying thing is, I am trying to present a business-like approach to running my own business and sometimes it just feels like some parents are not at all interested. The last one to finish was almost instantaneous (within a couple of days of parent telling me). Should I have insisted that the child remained in my care for the next month, once payment had been made...somehow I think the parent might have told me where to go had I done this. Stupidly on my part I never got a months deposit from this parent when we signed contracts as her child was in the same class as my daughter at school and initially started a couple of days after school during the summer term. I think I might have had the wool pulled over my eyes on this one and it's put me off caring for the children of people I know as they expect you to go above and beyond.

What sort of experiences have you had with parents giving notice?