Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default contracts for temp child/occasional care

hi all

i will be looking after a 2 year old for 2 afternoons next week and possibly an occasional day during the school summer holidays.

Would i need to do a contract for this to be legally covered or can i just do child record forms and payment up front. Seems silly to do all the paperwork and making parents reading policies and proceedures for such a small amount of childcare and for dates they don't know when i will be needed yet.

Expecting ofsted anytime so want to make sure paperwork is correct

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IMO, parents should have a copy of the policies and procedures as this outlines how I run my business, whether that's for an hour, a couple of days, or the odd day spread over a year, then, should a parent try abusing their position - sending an ill child for example, they can't say they didn't know

I'm with MM, so have made up my own ad hoc/temp care contract for these exact instances, and have worded it so that they are aware that my P&P's form part of the contract, as I object to using the forms for a one off or occasional child.

BucksCM Guest

I don't do a contract for such a short time...but I do do the record forms, permission forms and give them policies that relate to the permissions that I've asked them to sign(as they mention "as per my policy").
    I always make the parents aware that I have a folder with all my p&p and they are more than welcome to take it and read through them...but if it's just a few days care they normally decline the offer!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have several ad hoc/occaisonal children on my books. each time we fill out & sign a temp contract with childs details, address, contact and emergency contact details, doctor. plus a permission for going in my car/seeking medical treatment.

all parents have also had a copy of my policies/proceedures and have signed to say so, and full permission slip, and all about me forms. these are filed and i add the temp. contract each time it is used.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i do the same as loocyloo
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

do you just type up your own temp contract or use the NCMA temp contracts?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do a full contract because the short term one is only valid for 30 days. (NCMA one).

I do a contract to protect myself and if I am asking my parents to sign to agree to my policies then I think it is essential that they get a copy. You should also give them a copy of your Inspection Report. It is a lot of paperwork but really you do cover it in the income you get and it shows you are professional and protects you which you need to do with any parent you take on.

Maybe you could apply a £20 one off non returnable admin fee for short term contracts like this to cover the cost and time of doing the paperwork?

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks all

yes it is a pain having to do all the paperwork for such a small income from it. I think i will do full contract. would rather cover myself I think, especially since ofsted might come knocking anytime

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little boy that I have for 2 days a week until they break up for the holidays and his mum has asked if I can have him in the holidays. I have stated this in my contract that I may be needed in the holidays but i require 48 hours notice.

I hope this is right, please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Rickysmiths, how would you go about stating hours/days etc on the contract then? I have the NCMA contract and find I can only ever put down the shift "minimum hours per week" or complete the table...and if it's casual then its awkward?

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I would do a full contract because the short term one is only valid for 30 days. (NCMA one).

I do a contract to protect myself and if I am asking my parents to sign to agree to my policies then I think it is essential that they get a copy. You should also give them a copy of your Inspection Report. It is a lot of paperwork but really you do cover it in the income you get and it shows you are professional and protects you which you need to do with any parent you take on.

Maybe you could apply a £20 one off non returnable admin fee for short term contracts like this to cover the cost and time of doing the paperwork?