Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shift worker, hours change weekly!

I have had an enquiry for 2 children (brother and sister) before and after school *some* days a week.
    How would I put this on the contract? The parents don't know the hours they will need me until the week before. Some weeks it may be everyday, others it may only be once or twice a week. I haven't a clue! (I use contracts from the DCMA.)

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to see what replies you get for this question as I am in a similar situation with a baby brother and his big sister...some weeks they want me for 3 days a week other weeks for 2 days. It's all very confusing! xx

chattercat Guest

I have a Mum who works for an agency and doesn't know much in advance what she is working.

On the contract I put "Dates and times to be agreed by both parties as and when required."

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=*Katrina*;1106535]I have had an enquiry for 2 children (brother and sister) before and after school *some* days a week.
    How would I put this on the contract? The parents don't know the hours they will need me until the week before. Some weeks it may be everyday, others it may only be once or twice a week. I haven't a clue! (I use contracts from the DCMA.)[/QUOTE

If a parent wants you 5 days a week then you cannot fill this space with any other children so they need to pay for the days. When I first set up I used to charge half rate for the days I didn't have them but don't anymore as I was losing out and turning away business. Do you do a daily rate or hourly rate. I would find out how many hours per week they need you and be dividing it by 5 to give them a rate per day with a minimum of 5 hours per day and charging for extra hours on top of this, alternatively, if they know what their hours are per day then charge this for the full five days but I wouldn't do it for less than 5 hours - I think that is being generous! If you don't, you will lose out. I offer flexibility to parents and try to stick to this but have realised, I cannot keep 5 days open to someone who "might" need me. It's a business and a living you are trying to earn and parents have to understand this. As long as you are clear from the start I can't see the problem. Good luck!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of shift workers who only let me know there shift patterns the week before. I just have minimum hours per week that I charge, so last week mindee A only did 3 hours and my minimum hours for this mindee is 9 per weeks charged an extra 6 hours. I am lucky as have two assistants so can accommodate most flexible cover.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 parents doing shift work/ad hoc care when I first started, because I had very little other business, and not a lot of interest, I just charged them for what they needed.
    It depends how badly you need the business and how many other lo's you curently have. If I had been full when the enquiries came in I would have charged a minimum amount of hours for the ad hoc and worked out an average amount per month for the shift work.

I was lucky,
    the ad hoc care is now 4 full days a week for both children, baby came along and mum started full time work as ad hoc work wasn't stable enough with 2 lo's.
    and the shift work is now a regular 2 week rota 3 days 7-3 or 3 day 1-6