Different insurances confusing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Different insurances confusing

I know I need to change my home contents insurance and get public liability. I am a little confused as to what I need to tell them.

Currently my contents insurance doesn't have accidental damage - do I need this? I know I need to tell them I will be a childminder. Is there anything else I need to tell them?

Public liability - I understand I need it and from comments on here I think I have decided to go with MM but do I need to have contents with them as well? Does the PL cover accidental damage?

I know I also need to inform my car insurance that I will be a childminder.

Is there any other insurance I have forgotten?

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Car insurance - you will need business class 1. Some companies don't offer it... most don't do it through comparison websites so you will need to go direct.

Try MM for a quote then shop around and see what you find. Go back to them - I've found them to be excellent at matching.

House insurance - you don't need accidental damage - you do need to tell them you are a childminder. They might put up your fee - you can choose whether to stay with them or shop around.

MM offer it as well - but so do lots of others so check out a few.

Childminding insurance - no it does not include accidental damage. it is purely cover for you and the children.

It looks like you are going to be busy on Tuesday

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It looks like you are going to be busy on Tuesday
    Thanks Sarah707.

Definitely busy on Tuesday! It doesn't help at the moment that my son developed chickenpox last week and what with trying to keep him happy and get all this paperwork done as well, I think my brain cells are starting to fry!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my House and contents insurance with Churchill for years. We paly a game each year and they always reduce the renewal quote a lot they have just done it again

Car insurance was with MM last year and they hiked the price up hugely. They did say they would match any quote I go but would not reduce otherwise. When I got another quote which was £120 less I insured with the new company and told MM to stuff it if they weren't prepared to reduce the price for me without hearing another quote then they obviously didn't want to keep my business for another year. The girl I spoke to was very arrogant. So Tesco have my business this year.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 07-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always used to have my contents and buildings insurance through MM but when I moved last year they refused to cover me as I moved into a flood risk area (despite being able to evidence it hasn't flooded for 10+ years) so I am now with a smaller company I found by chance - the name escapes me right this second but happy to look it up tomorrow if you want it.

My public and employers (I have assistants) liability insurance is through NCMA

My car insurance (both childminding car and personal car) are through Aviva, brokered by Bluefin which is also part of NCMA - I went with them, not because they are the cheapest but because they are tailored for childminders and will replace ALL carseats and pushchairs in the event of an accident whereas other companies will only replace up to a certain value. I also have business use on both vehicles in case my childminding car ever has to go into the garage etc.

Good luck with it all xx

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely shop around for your house and car insurance companies are often willing to reduce their quotes.

I'm with NCMA for public liability insurance so I would say stick to them or MM for this.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have car and house insurance with Churchill as they were the cheapest when I started looking around and the more policies you have the more discount you get but you do have to ask for it.

PL will come with NCMA or MM whichever you go to.

You need to tell your mortgage company that you are a childminder too.
    Debbie

Penny1959 Guest

My car insurance is currently with NCMA - but will be moving it this year.. Do be carefully when ringing for car insurance quotes - as some will say it is suitable for childminders - but in fact is class 2 not class 1. Whoever you go with make sure you have it in writting on the certificate or in a covering letter stating that you are a registered childminder and will be tranporting other people's children. You will be surprised how many well known companies will say you are covered with their policy - until you ask for in in writting.

Rickysmiths I agree ith you - they either want your business or not - and should quote the best price possible - not wait for someone to offer top do it for less.

My PL is with MM now - recently changed - whichever you go with check the small print - as both NCMA and MM hve 'odd' little exclusions - so need to know what these are - to make sure cover what you need.

My contents are with Insure for retirement - veryu good price and includes accidental cover.

Penny

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Will get ringing round tomorrow and trying to sort it all out!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ladies i was wondering if you could give me some advice..... my current house insurers (contents only as i live in rented accomodation) will insure me as a Childminder at no extra charge but this will not cover me for accidental damage by 'Mindees during minding hours' so when i said 'what if my own 2 year old damaged the floor or sofa' he replied......thats your own child.....what shall i do?????

Stay with these or switch to another company for a inflated quote and more work???/

Any help would be great,

Penny1959 Guest

Sorry only just seen this

I would sy - depends on if accidental damage is important to you - I would not pay extra for it and only have it because it is included for free.

In a total of over 20 yers childminding I have never claim for any damage by minded children - because there has not been any!

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm like Penny, in 18yrs I have never felt that if I hadn't had Accidental cover for minding I would have lost out. I have had odd breakages but never nearly enough to make it worth claiming on my insurance so I'm not bothered and certainly wouldn't pay extra.