End of an Era .....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Penny1959 Guest

Default End of an Era .....

After 28 years of loyal membership to NCMA, I have this morning informed NCMA that I will not be renewing my membership when it expires on 18th April - as a result of this I will also no longer be able to remain chair of the NCMA West Midlands region.

I am not prepared to go into details on here but basically I disagree with the way they are doing things. I have not taken this decision lightly and have spent weeks debating with myself and others and in talking with NCMA - but this morning I decided tha no matter what I do or say NCMA are going to continue doing things in ways that I do not personally agree with. My personal ethos will not let me promote any organisation to others (and in this case NCMA) if I myself do not feel passionate about everything conected to that organisation.

I am still passionate about childminding and over the next few weeks will be thinking about how I can share my knowledge with others (in addition to the forum )

It is a sad day for me today and I am depressed that I have felt I need to end my professional relationship with NCMA.

Penny

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have ended my membership with NCMA this week after 3 years (not as long as yours) just very disillusioned with them and their extortionate costs to be a member and added extras for certificates etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really sad Penny. It's clear from your posts how passionate you are about NCMA and childminding in general, so it is such a shame you feel this is your only option. I understand your reasons though

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

So sad I also had decided that I will not be renewing my membership at the end of next month.

Marian x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm sorry to hear that penny. but understood. xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I took this decision 18 months ago Penny and whilst I don't "badmouth" NCMA I certainly do not promote it to new minders.

I was not nearly as involved as you were but there were many factors in my decision.

sending a hug
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 04
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame the NCMA are losing the respect and support of it's members. Penny you are obviously a strong champion for childminder support, ever thought of combining forces with Pauline to start something up yourselves

There are 16000+ members on here, of which a large proportion I imagine feel let down by the NCMA and would willingly support a new dedicated childminder support network

Just a thought

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmamma View Post
    What a shame the NCMA are losing the respect and support of it's members. Penny you are obviously a strong champion for childminder support, ever thought of combining forces with Pauline to start something up yourselves

There are 16000+ members on here, of which a large proportion I imagine feel let down by the NCMA and would willingly support a new dedicated childminder support network

Just a thought
    we vote for Penny and Pauline.

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by madmamma View Post

Just a thought
    Although I have promised myself a couple of days of to grieve the lost of my involvement with NCMA - and I will bounce back - and yes will do 'something'

Penny

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad day all round Penny, I too didn't renew my membership last week.

I have been umming and ahhing about starting up some sort of childminders voice campaign, on Facebook firstly, and then hopefully to bigger and better things. I would love to be involved with anything to do with getting the good work of childminders out to the wider public, so please pm me if I could be of any help to you in the future.

I believe that we childminders have had a awful time lately in everything press related, even right down to our local newspaper who did a child care feature, called which childcare for you, and they described childminders as and I quote " offer a one to one service with your child and usually come to your house to be with your child while you are out. They can offer different levels of care from simply looking after your child for an hour or two, to living in and taking over many of the childcare responsibilities" . Bear in mind this was in the middle of a three page article which was surrounded by adverts from all the local nurseries and and the nursery section talked about how flexible they are, and how they follow the EYFS. To say I have complained is a understatement.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many more hugs Penny, a truely awful day.
    You know I'm with you all the way.
    Carol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Childminders have had to prove themselves for a long time, we have had to prove that we are not just babysitters (even to others in the childcare profession) Some of us have always 'work' with the aspects of the EYFS. I myself come from the old school PPA learning through play!
    Perhaps now it is time for change and new direction for childminders?
    Maybe for you Penny1959 is is not the end but the beginning!? I believe that there is a lot of energy and support on this forum and I am sure it can be utilised for the common good!
    Who else do we have to represent us other than the NCMA??

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by primula View Post
    Childminders have had to prove themselves for a long time, we have had to prove that we are not just babysitters (even to others in the childcare profession) Some of us have always 'work' with the aspects of the EYFS. I myself come from the old school PPA learning through play!
    Perhaps now it is time for change and new direction for childminders?
    Maybe for you Penny1959 is is not the end but the beginning!? I believe that there is a lot of energy and support on this forum and I am sure it can be utilised for the common good!
    Who else do we have to represent us other than the NCMA??
    Funny you should mention the old PPA primula - I was a county member and tutor for them in the 90's - and when they changed name to Preschool Learning Alliance - my DH said initials stood for Penny's Liberation Army and today sent text saying PLA watch out Penny is on her way! - what he does not know is I am attending a meeting of PLA on 28th to try and start the Worcestershire branch of PLA back up! I was going to make links with NCMA and PLA - but now will be going as ME.

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

Its strange isnt it because I too did not renew my membership this year and this would have been my 20th year ! they seem to have lost the idea of why they are there.

So sad for you tho Penny as I know how committed you were . But if they wont listen what do they expect !! They should by now know how we feel as it does seem that they have lost lots of members and perhaps they should have a rethink.

I understand how you must be feeling x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how hard this has been for you Penny. Sending you a hug and looking forward to some of your ideas for the future coming to fruition. xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

In the nicest possible way - I am so pleased that you have felt able to stand up for your beliefs, Penny, rather than just going along with an organisation that could not be further away from their roots.
    NCMA will disappear into the midst at this rate and a new and stronger childminding association will start up in their wake!
    Blessed Be!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local Childminding Association are no longer affiliated to the NCMA. I don't know the reason why as it was 'before my time' but I suspect their reasons are very similar to yours.

I'm currently an NCMA member (through a LA start-up grant so it was free!) but from what I've learned and read so far, I certainly won't be renewing next year.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I took this decision 18 months ago Penny and whilst I don't "badmouth" NCMA I certainly do not promote it to new minders.

I was not nearly as involved as you were but there were many factors in my decision.

sending a hug
    Oh crikey! Have I missed something! I am just about to join up! Help I need advice now!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Sad day all round Penny, I too didn't renew my membership last week.

I have been umming and ahhing about starting up some sort of childminders voice campaign, on Facebook firstly, and then hopefully to bigger and better things. I would love to be involved with anything to do with getting the good work of childminders out to the wider public, so please pm me if I could be of any help to you in the future.

I believe that we childminders have had a awful time lately in everything press related, even right down to our local newspaper who did a child care feature, called which childcare for you, and they described childminders as and I quote " offer a one to one service with your child and usually come to your house to be with your child while you are out. They can offer different levels of care from simply looking after your child for an hour or two, to living in and taking over many of the childcare responsibilities" . Bear in mind this was in the middle of a three page article which was surrounded by adverts from all the local nurseries and and the nursery section talked about how flexible they are, and how they follow the EYFS. To say I have complained is a understatement.

me too Penny. if something is started, would be happy to be a contributor to writing articles, newletters, discussion topics, advice sheets

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They have lost a very loyal member in you Penny.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast