Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    In the nicest possible way - I am so pleased that you have felt able to stand up for your beliefs, Penny, rather than just going along with an organisation that could not be further away from their roots.
    NCMA will disappear into the midst at this rate and a new and stronger childminding association will start up in their wake!
    Sorry got to laugh at this comment - who would want this job??

If we lose NCMA childminders can say goodbye to being consulted in any future government consultation or plans.

When fees are pushed up again, and they will without objection, who will stand up for us???

How many people on here voicing their negativity actually went to the forums, completed the online survey? Not many I suspect

Penny I understand your predicament and know why you are not renewing.
    Debbie

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I too did not renew my membership 2 weeks ago, I hope that you are OK Penny xxx
    Francine X

onceinabluemoon Guest

Well, I am shocked. I know how much NCMA meant to you. I hope you are ok, sending hugs x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post

If we lose NCMA childminders can say goodbye to being consulted in any future government consultation or plans.

When fees are pushed up again, and they will without objection, who will stand up for us???

How many people on here voicing their negativity actually went to the forums, completed the online survey? Not many I suspect

i used to voice my opinions and attend forums but I think the issues I raised were not addressed really at all. I know these issues were issues around the country not just locally to me (from evidence in threads on the forum), hence my decision to leave. I felt wholly unsupported. They lost me because I tried to support and get involved and felt they were just doing their own thing with their own direction.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand the reasons why people left and it always seems to come back to insurance. I think NCMA should ditch insurance and stick to policy and then they would be known for supporting.

I wonder if new childminders understand that when NCMA withdraw from areas supporting childminders it is because the areas local authority itself who has withdrawn the funding
    Debbie

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending hugs Penny, you know I'm behind you It has been a difficult week for all

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand the reasons why people left and it always seems to come back to insurance. I think NCMA should ditch insurance and stick to policy and then they would be known for supporting.

I wonder if new childminders understand that when NCMA withdraw from areas supporting childminders it is because the areas local authority itself who has withdrawn the funding
    this is going to happen in our area this year - the NCMA are funded through the local council and have a very strong presence - but increasingly over the year we have seen a withdrawel of presence mainly because the council has reduced their remit and increased their own. In the next few month the remaining items in their remit will be up for renewal and I am laying odds the council will take over them instead of NCMA which means our local presence will dissappear - which is a crying shame because I for one have been really impressed at a local level with the support NCMA provides locally for me as a childminder.

As a side note Penny - I too would be very happy to support a new voice for childminders - though I do agree with Debbie that loosing NCMA could be an awful prospect - we need to harness and utilise our position in the higher echelons of power as well as we can. Perhaps those leaving could write letter to complain - maybe start a petition and make ourselves heard.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Penny1959 Guest

Thank you all for you kind words and support - it means alot to me. Ncma have been such a large part of my life - they have actually become part of who I am - people on here have referred to me as 'the NCMA person' - I have taken a lot of stick at various time for defending NCMA in the past - I have volunteered to lots of things for them and promoted them and what they do for childminders on every possible occassion - and now suddenly that is all going to stop.

I am going to have to replace it with something else.

Those of you offering to help get something started and a phone call from Sarah707 - have got me thinking.

I think there is room for a group / association that will become over time a spokeperson for childminders - all childminders - no matter who they buy their insurance from.

Debbie you are right NCMA does have the ear of the government and has up to now been the only organisation speaking up for registered childminders - their strenght being in their number of childminder members - but that is going to change in the near future - and there will no longer be an association just for childminders. NCMA have 37,000 members but that means there are at least 31,000 who are not members.

There is no law stopping childminders coming together to support each other and to speak up for themselves - after all that is how NCMA started in the first place.

So I am going to give it some thought - and would like you all to do the same - if I was to start an association - what would you want it to offer:-

Be realistic- I have no money for getting publications printed - but maybe some basic ones that could be emailed would be possible,

I could not provide insurance - but maybe if enough childminders joined we could get discounts off some insurance (again that is what NCMA do)

I could not provide legal support - but I could provide personal support, a listening ear, advise based on the training that I received when I worked for the LA and NCMA

And remember - hopefully some of those who have offered to help set something up will have other skills to bring.

But in the early days - I am thinking a email newsletter with different sections, maybe an ugent advice email address ( I get loads about safeguarding anyway)

Getting a bit carried away now - but my head is buzzing - and I am actually smiling for the first time today

Maybe a get together once a year to start with - but then a bit more frequently for discussion and training - did you know that in Birmingham it is possible to hire a conference room in a hotel for all day and to include morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch for just £25 per delegate - and I am sure hotels all over the country would do similar - depending on numbers we could provide a quailty training session for around another £10 a head - or have a information sharing session for no extra cost (I myself am a qualified tutor and could provide training on quite a few subjects for free)

So comments please - would you be interested? and what would you want an association to provide?

Penny

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oh wow Penny

I know that you must not have taken this decision lightly... you know of my circumstances and that I am only with NCMA over the climbing frame debacle

I really do not agree with widening the membership and see it only as a money making exercise...

I would love to be a part of what ever you come up with, peer support etc etc

here is to the next chapter
    boo

Blue Boy Guest

Just like Penny I to have resigned my positon a volunteer with the NCMA. As many of you may know for the past two years I have represented The East Region of NCMA as a National Policy Forum member.

Like Penny find it harder and harder to support the NCMA and try to promote them to CM's. I felt very proud to be first male to take up the role, but cannot speak on their behalf when I disagree with what is happening and is being put upon its members. I hope that I am wrong but I can see in the next few years that the NCMA will not be in place.

I know that they are going through a rough period at present and have to do something drastic to survive but not the way they are doing it. As Penny says it is a very sad day. My membership is due to be renewed in July but not sure at this present time what will happen. In my opinion the association started by childminder's for the benefit of childminder's is being taken away from those who it was meant for

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no Penny. I'm really, wholeheartedly sorry to hear that. I don't like the NCMA as it is now but I loved the way you were so very passionate about them, I always felt that with more people like you on board the NCMA could live up to it's aspirations. It's hard to leave a loved institution when you have put in so much of your heart and soul to it's continuation. I actually hope you are able to find a way to continue your passion with them.

aly Guest

Penny, I am so sorry you have this to deal with, I know how NCMA was a big part of who you were.....

I wont go into why I did not renew, although it is some of the other posts.

Here's to you hoping something bigger and better comes along you can sink your teeth into.

Good luck Penny

x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to read of your decision Penny, I know how passionate you have been and to be honest I am rather disillusioned myself. With events concerning work troubles for me NCMA legal team were useless and although I renewed in Nov, I decided I would give it a year and review.

With things happening at the moment, I am hedging towards not bothering.

Your last post Penny seemed more positive and I know your strengths could be used somewhere
    Last edited by PixiePetal; 15-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

Like others, I am sorry to hear of your decision too - I know it must have been very difficult for you when you have put so much of yourself into promoting NCMA. I am still a member and have until September until I have to renew again - at which time I will give a lot of thought to who I want to be with.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

It must of been a difficult decision for you Penny but just wanted to say that I would join any childminding group/association you became involved in.
    Alison x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Debbie although I understand why Penny has made her choices. But it is vital to maintain a voice for childminders. Without it I fear that childminding will actually disappear within 10 years if that. Why because as Debbie points out our basic costs will go up for a start with no recognised body to represent us.

It would take a new one a long time to become established and gain credibility and by then I fear in this climate where there is no doubt Day Nurseries are being pushed as the best thing since sliced bread childminding would have disappeared.

Things like our Ofsted Registration fees without NMCA we would all be paying around £300pa now not the £35 we do.

Our insurance, MM is reasonable now because NMCA provide cheaper insurance but without that they are just a commercial insurance broker with no basic interest in childminding (I know they provide an online magazine and discounts but that is a sweetener not because they care about childminders) other than make money out of selling insurance and they will put their rates up.

Ncma have done insurance for many years and I can't see what benefit there would be in them stopping. What they can not, for some reason get right is the support both legally and emotionally for childminders who need it. I am sad that they have not been able to sort this side of the business out.

ICO fees would have been a couple of hundred pounds if NCMA hadn't negotiated a fee of £35 for us.

So there is a lot that NCMA have done for ALL childminders even those of you who are not members and those who have left. I do feel sad when I see people have left because their insurance is 'so expensive' when it isn't and don't see what they have 'done' for us because they have done a lot for us.

I fear that the future will be a diluting of help now they are increasing the membership because their interests will be diluted and I fear lead by the stronger Nursery/Pre school sector. Either that or it will all fall flat on its face because that sector won't see any benefit in joining what was the National CHILDMINDING association.

I would love to know how many Nanny members there are. I was shocked and disappointed to see their membership fees are less than a childminders though. But what benefit do they feel they get from being a member and how many are there does anyone know this?

We are all complacent when it comes to filling in surveys and consultations and going to meetings etc. It is hard and we have to step out of the box and often especially with the Forum meetings travel considerable distances. I know childminders near me who po po that and say their weekends are their own time and they won't take the time or trouble to go.

I have laboured as to whether I will remain a member or not, I have been a member for 17years. I probably will because until there is another viable way for childminders to be represented at any level. I feel passionately about my work I love it and would be gutted if I was forced out of it because all those presently small annual costs were to go up significantly. I am depending on being able to work for another 10 years!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have to agree with Debbie although I understand why Penny has made her choices. But it is vital to maintain a voice for childminders. Without it I fear that childminding will actually disappear within 10 years if that. Why because as Debbie points out our basic costs will go up for a start with no recognised body to represent us.

It would take a new one a long time to become established and gain credibility and by then I fear in this climate where there is no doubt Day Nurseries are being pushed as the best thing since sliced bread childminding would have disappeared.

Things like our Ofsted Registration fees without NMCA we would all be paying around £300pa now not the £35 we do.

Our insurance, MM is reasonable now because NMCA provide cheaper insurance but without that they are just a commercial insurance broker with no basic interest in childminding (I know they provide an online magazine and discounts but that is a sweetener not because they care about childminders) other than make money out of selling insurance and they will put their rates up.

Ncma have done insurance for many years and I can't see what benefit there would be in them stopping. What they can not, for some reason get right is the support both legally and emotionally for childminders who need it. I am sad that they have not been able to sort this side of the business out.

ICO fees would have been a couple of hundred pounds if NCMA hadn't negotiated a fee of £35 for us.

So there is a lot that NCMA have done for ALL childminders even those of you who are not members and those who have left. I do feel sad when I see people have left because their insurance is 'so expensive' when it isn't and don't see what they have 'done' for us because they have done a lot for us.

I fear that the future will be a diluting of help now they are increasing the membership because their interests will be diluted and I fear lead by the stronger Nursery/Pre school sector. Either that or it will all fall flat on its face because that sector won't see any benefit in joining what was the National CHILDMINDING association.

I would love to know how many Nanny members there are. I was shocked and disappointed to see their membership fees are less than a childminders though. But what benefit do they feel they get from being a member and how many are there does anyone know this?

We are all complacent when it comes to filling in surveys and consultations and going to meetings etc. It is hard and we have to step out of the box and often especially with the Forum meetings travel considerable distances. I know childminders near me who po po that and say their weekends are their own time and they won't take the time or trouble to go.

I have laboured as to whether I will remain a member or not, I have been a member for 17years. I probably will because until there is another viable way for childminders to be represented at any level. I feel passionately about my work I love it and would be gutted if I was forced out of it because all those presently small annual costs were to go up significantly. I am depending on being able to work for another 10 years!
    I believe that the representation will be stronger. The membership is not for the Managers/owners of other settings but the actual workers who are employed.

I can see the positive in mixed training, better relationships and have often heard on here that the nurseries won't get involved or communicate. This could be a good way forward to promote harmonious working together

Time will tell but please be open minded until the actual structure and membership details are known.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the representation will be stronger. The membership is not for the Managers/owners of other settings but the actual workers who are employed.

I can see the positive in mixed training, better relationships and have often heard on here that the nurseries won't get involved or communicate. This could be a good way forward to promote harmonious working together

Time will tell but please be open minded until the actual structure and membership details are known.

The thing is though we are self employed and I don't see any common interest between me as a self employed effectively Manager running my own business and an 18year old employed Nursery worker. I know that sounds horrible I don't mean it to but I think you may know where I am coming from.

Our places of work, our methods of work are so totally different that I just don't see it. Also yes the more of these workers that can see what a cm does the better but in reality it is the Managers at the end of the day who make the Policies and decide on the day to day matters. I suspect that most of the staff have very little say in how things happen. I think we have to educate the managers first to achieve anything.

I also don't many of the staff of your average Nursery or Pre school wanting or seeing the need to join something like NCMA. Frankly if NCMA can't attract many new and retain current cm members why would they do any better in a market they are not currently working with. The same as Nannies.
    Maybe I will be surprised.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 16-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile NCMA?? end of an era?

Good morning ladies
    my name is Sarah+i am currently looking into registering as a childminder+therefore have been reading various threads on here for info etc, sorry to butt into your conversation but from what i can see it sounds like lots of you are rather disheartened with NCMA. Obviously being new to the childminding world (although i have 13+years experience in childcare in various other areas) i had only really heard of NCMA as an option and was automatically going to join them+prob insure through them too, would any of you mind making some recommendations/comments as to any other options+or reasons for+against, i would really appreciate it, many thanks in advance
    Sarah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast