Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thicko Alert lol

Completely naive and stupid question here lol

Hi everyone, hope you are all well!
    Ive just had my NCMA renewal come though .... £52.50 for NCMA membership and £24.76 for insurance. When i first joined i obv got the box and all the paperwork and things ... so what do you get for your money this time round?

Someone mentioned trying MM and thats £44, is that just for insurance? Why i get myself so confused about these things i dont know lol

Kel H

Pipsqueak Guest

Hi there, you aren't thick at all - some of us more experienced minders often struggle with this question!

What you need to remember there are TWO parts to NCMA - the insurance part 1 and the membership part 2.

Membership is what supports an organisation that lobbies on behalf of all childminders everywhere - they tackle Ofsted about fees, the tackle the government about legislation, they are about supporting grass roots minders and issues that face us. There are regional and national forums that we can attend through out the year - this is where its important to lend your support and voice.

Insurance is farmed out to companies representing NCMA. In the past the insurance regarding legal stuff has been less than desirable. Apparently they are bucking their ideas up.

There is lots of stuff around the forum about this

I have no experience of MM - however I know they are an insurance only company.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

been with both prefer MM

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys :-)

So if i went with MM ... i get insurance only but if i needed new contracts or something, i can still get them? I only look after a couple part time so i dont get through much paperwork. xx

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy contracts, child info sheets, accident forms etc from MM too.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gromitsgal View Post
    Thanks guys :-)

So if i went with MM ... i get insurance only but if i needed new contracts or something, i can still get them? I only look after a couple part time so i dont get through much paperwork. xx
    i believe that you can make your own contracts with MM, although you can buy theirs and tailor them to suit your business.

If you use NCMA insurance you HAVE to use their paperwork if you want their legal backup

You can take NCMA membership without taking the insurance - please consider this

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You do get free legal advice with MM.
    Their contracts and other paperwork is reasonably prices as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been with both and much prefer MM

Their contracts are more informative.

Some good free resources on their site too, discounted prices on days out,all if you are a member.

Cheaper insurance and helpful if you have a problem

Angel xxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bear in mind though that if you are not a Member of NCMA you will pay quite a bit more for their paperwork.

For example a pad of contracts for members is £9.50 but non members is £16.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If i swap to MM and not re new my membership with NCMA, do i have to stop using all the NCMA paperwork im currently using? x

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gromitsgal View Post
    If i swap to MM and not re new my membership with NCMA, do i have to stop using all the NCMA paperwork im currently using? x
    No MM let you use any so get photocopying!!!

I've been with both and can not fault MM, fantastic and cheap!! and tbh i find their paperwork easier to use, for instance their attendance register is soo much better, the ncma register used to drive me nuts with all the flicking back and forth!!

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, thanks everyone! Think im sold on MM here. If times were better id stay with NCMA but Hubbys just taken a huge paycut and i only work part time, so cuts have to be made everywhere :-/

xx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bear23 View Post
    No MM let you use any so get photocopying!!!
    If you are with NCMA can you photocopy their paperwork and use it or does it have to be on the original documentation? Also is this for there free legal advice that it has to be on their documents or would it invalidate your insurance if it wasn't on their paperwork?
    I insure through MM at the moment but as I am also a member of NCMA it feels like I am doubling up and with the membership and MM insurance it works out dearer.