Any suggestions for home & car ins providers?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any suggestions for home & car ins providers?

MM Want 1554 for B&C ins!!!! argghhhhhh

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with more than, at the momnet they give you free contents insurance if you take out building/home ins. I just renewd with them childminding is an allowable profession so they dont charge more, they dont cover loss or property or accident for those you mind or who come into your home, but your liability insurance will cover this, my insurance for the year was £211, maybe worth a try with them

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Churchill are good for car insurance - they don't charge any extra for business use, its included in the standard premium.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmanc View Post
    I am with more than, at the momnet they give you free contents insurance if you take out building/home ins. I just renewd with them childminding is an allowable profession so they dont charge more, they dont cover loss or property or accident for those you mind or who come into your home, but your liability insurance will cover this, my insurance for the year was £211, maybe worth a try with them
    I had a conversation with my home insurance provider yesterday, Esure. They said they will insure me as a child minder and my premium will not go up, but I will lose my accidental cover.

Am I reading your post right that my public liability insurance will cover this, so I wouldnt really need to change my provider? I will be taking this cover through the NCMA once I'm registered.

I have only submitted my CYPOP5 yesterday to be assessed.... eeeek!!!!

Thanks

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ncma bout 375 year with accidental damage . contents and building think its though bluefin insurers
    Dust its Fairy Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

car insured with direct line, no problems and it didnt cost any more for business use.

house insured with tesco.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A sparkles, with more than i dont loose my personal cover, just that mindees will not be covered and those coming into my home, also for loss aor damage to their property, but if you looks at MM and NCMA their policies will cover this.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my cover, but just loose accidental damage.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with Churchill for home and Contents. They cover me for everything except accidental damage in relation to childminding but accidental cover for me and my family is included.

To be honest it is debatable how much you actually need accidental cover for cm. Most policies have at least a £100 excess and a lot have a min of £150 and if you make a claim you could loose your no claims and would prob have increased premiums the following year. Any claim you made would need to be quite big to make it worthwhile. You can claim 10% wear and tear off your gross income before you pay tax each year as well. In 17 years of childminding I have never had a breakage or damage that has been anywhere near worth claiming on insurance for so not having that cover is not an issue.

A friend told us once that you only pay insurance for the major problems and it is never worth claiming for small items. It certainly made us think.

How much you pay depends on where you live, the size and construction of your house and the value of your contents so it is very difficult to compare with other peoples. For instance my dh has a piano worth £10,000+ and we have 200year old Grandfather clock worth a lot more than that so that is reflected in our premiums.

Penny1959 Guest

My car is with NCMA - 7 seater - I have health issue restricted driving licence - costs around £380 a year.

My house and contents are with insureforretirement - I was surprised that they are not only happy to cover contents for childminding (seems strange as insure for retirement) but also give me accidental damage cover for childminding as well - and for under £250 a year

One perk of being over 50

Penny

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I am with Churchill for home and Contents. They cover me for everything except accidental damage in relation to childminding but accidental cover for me and my family is included.

To be honest it is debatable how much you actually need accidental cover for cm. Most policies have at least a £100 excess and a lot have a min of £150 and if you make a claim you could loose your no claims and would prob have increased premiums the following year. Any claim you made would need to be quite big to make it worthwhile. You can claim 10% wear and tear off your gross income before you pay tax each year as well. In 17 years of childminding I have never had a breakage or damage that has been anywhere near worth claiming on insurance for so not having that cover is not an issue.

A friend told us once that you only pay insurance for the major problems and it is never worth claiming for small items. It certainly made us think.

How much you pay depends on where you live, the size and construction of your house and the value of your contents so it is very difficult to compare with other peoples. For instance my dh has a piano worth £10,000+ and we have 200year old Grandfather clock worth a lot more than that so that is reflected in our premiums.
    To be honest, I was never really that concerned with having the accidental cover for the CM, as I agree with what you say above. I do however want it in case the OH drops a pot of paint on the carpet, or breaks the telly or something! This is more likely