Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding car insurance and classes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCMA magazine p.17 has an advertorial about their Motorminder policy. It says Class 1 and Class 2 business use is not adequate for childminders, we should all have class 3.

I've always bought Class 1, having told the insurance providers I am a childminder and checking the policy is suitable before buying each policy - so I assumed the NCMA "advertorial" was simply designed to frighten people into buying their policy.

Sheilas wheels have an online chat facility, I spoke to Pam there and she explained that different insurance providers have different definitions for each class. For example, their Class 3 is just to enable other named drivers to use the car in connection with the business as well as the main policy holder. She assures me their Class 1 is suitable for childminders. Another website says their Class 3 is for transporting light goods.

Anyway, my current insurance provider Ecarinsurance now tell me that I am not covered by my policy -

"Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you to carry passengers as a
    occupation. The underwriters calculate this as too high risk to the
    insurance company."

So my recommendation is, whichever class of business use you buy, to get written confirmation that the policy covers you for transporting minded children and keep it on file.

Susi

dear minders
    i just wanted you to know that this is not always the case

i have vw insurance which is underwritten by Zurich, i have just spoke to them about my class 1 car insurance, and they said that i am covered to carry minded children in my car on class 1 insurance. and will send me a letter to prove it for whomever needs to see it

class 3 insurance with them is to do with selling, so

the moral of the story is before you change check first to see if your covered

also i will be ringing who minds on monday to put them straight to as i think they have got their info wrong?

i just thought you should know
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: regarding car insurance and classes

Good advice Rascal... worth a quick phone call to your car insurer to check your policy in the current climate of uncertainty

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this out as I was with ecar inusrance, ive had to cancel and go with morton now and confirmed with them it covers me and children that I care for.

Not happy bunny as had 4 months left on my policy that id paid for and they are saying im not due any refund as they charge £50 to cancel a policy and you do it all on line.

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will ring and check with my insurance.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Car Insurance Policy state the class on certificate, my husband insured our car on the policy I have on wall only states in Limitations to use, Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes. Business use in person by the following then my name. it dosn't state what the business is and I would have thought if you are insuring the car to carry other peoples children then the business should state childminder, I have a word with my husband about this when he comes in from work. jus

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm goin to ring and check that i can have it all in writing when i change mine over, you can't take chances. plus would be good to have in case you have worried parents.
    Tinkerbell x x x

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread running about this a couple of weeks ago, I checked straight away. I am with Sheilas Wheels and they said mine is business class 1 and I WAS covered to carry children.

Kelly