Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCMA V MM?????

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NCMA V MM?????

I'm with NCMA at the moment as the first year was free, but come renewal i will be changing to MM

NCMA did NOTHING to help me claim back over £1500 in owed fees so i lost out big time

sorry but NCMA are a joke

MM seem to support childminders more in contractual disputes/none payment of fees/ termination/ unpaid fees which is the main reason we all have insurance in the first place

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Been with MM for two years.........no complaints.......much better than NCMA who i was with for 8 years before. No contest
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    I'm with NCMA at the moment as the first year was free, but come renewal i will be changing to MM

NCMA did NOTHING to help me claim back over £1500 in owed fees so i lost out big time

sorry but NCMA are a joke

MM seem to support childminders more in contractual disputes/none payment of fees/ termination/ unpaid fees which is the main reason we all have insurance in the first place
    Me too.

I found my ncma contact not very helpful at the beginning when I wanted help on how to do the accounts..what did she do?? booked us all onto an inland revenue course..which was fine but still didnt help {STILL dont know what im doing]

I am almost certain I will be going to MM and glad this thread is here as I wanted to start one but didnt.

Do you get reminded when your renewal is due??? or is it left to us?? mine was feb anyway

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't really got time to go into loads of detail right now but I have just renewed with NCMA and that is where I will stay.

I think there are also two issues within this thread. One being NCMA's PLI and one is being a member of them as a professional body.

Will be back later x

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As I have said on many many occasions NCMA is a charity and MM is a profit making company. NCMA takes up issues and concerns with government and LA's and gets results for us.

Christine

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    As I have said on many many occasions NCMA is a charity and MM is a profit making company. NCMA takes up issues and concerns with government and LA's and gets results for us.

Christine
    i appreciate what your saying but the lack of support when WE need it is offputting i lost out on £1500+ cos of them

july 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have also had issues with ncma legal department regarding unpaid fees and ended up going throught the small claims court to retrieve my money as i found them slow and unhelpful, so changed to mm for this reason alone , and i must say i havent had to use their legal department so far , but find thier paperwork really easy to use ,especially their contract as it already has all the permissions on that you need and space to add any others , and as others have said you get good resources online and money off stuff aswell
    also cost and value for money is a deciding factor and ncma need to look at this if they want to continue providing a service for cm's

Jan 03
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago I had difficulties with a parent paying and NCMA gave me loads of help and support. They provided legal help when I had to go to court. I think for childminders who are self -employed, this is big bonus of memebership. You don't know how awful it is to have to go through this until you have a problem, but knowing I had the backing of a recognised organisation really helped. I couldn't have afforded legal assistance otherwise.

NCMA also lobby the government and make sure childminder's voices are heard - the Ofsted fee would have gone up a lot more if NCMA hadn't campaigned against this. I think childminders need a voice in government to represent their views regarding legislation and any issues about childcare.

Post Thanks / Like

My insurance/membership needs renewing next week and I'm having the same dilemma. I have not had to use any legal help yet (touch wood) or claimed any insurance and have always used NCMA in my 3 yrs of minding.

However.....now I am thinking about using MM mainly because I like the sound of their package and eyfs training guides. On the other hand I know of a lot of people who have used NCMA's legal help etc and it has been invaluable to them.

So.... I was tempted to renew the ncma membership and get the MM insurance - that way I have access to both. This will cost me £89 though

or I could go with MM and will cost me £41

or I could continue with NCMA and it's cost me £71

I should point out that I use NCMA contracts, would they still be valid if i purely go with MM and does the £41 MM package come with legal help etc?

Thanks loads your experience and advice would be invaluable
    Little Miss Chatterbox xx

nov 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little miss chatterbox View Post
    My insurance/membership needs renewing next week and I'm having the same dilemma. I have not had to use any legal help yet (touch wood) or claimed any insurance and have always used NCMA in my 3 yrs of minding.

However.....now I am thinking about using MM mainly because I like the sound of their package and eyfs training guides. On the other hand I know of a lot of people who have used NCMA's legal help etc and it has been invaluable to them.

So.... I was tempted to renew the ncma membership and get the MM insurance - that way I have access to both. This will cost me £89 though

or I could go with MM and will cost me £41

or I could continue with NCMA and it's cost me £71

I should point out that I use NCMA contracts, would they still be valid if i purely go with MM and does the £41 MM package come with legal help etc?

Thanks loads your experience and advice would be invaluable
    i want to know exactly the same thing as you.....my insurance is up 14 jan, and i thought about doing ncma & mm, just to get the free stuff this year, but it seems a lot of money...i dont know what to do
    Julie

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure someone has said before on here that if your with mm you can use any contracts you want but if your with ncma you have to use their 1s
    im with mm purely coz of the money side i looked into ncma but im sure i read you have to pay membership to be able to then use their insurance too much money i found im with mm you get to buy contracts etc.. at a discout price because im using their insurance and iv found them very useful when iv rung them .
    X SUEZ X

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I did notice that difference Debbie - any other major ones that you've noticed?
    Sorry didn't see this until today.

The additional insurance cover was my main priority but the all over membership allows a professional body to work on our behalf. What did MM do when the government wanted to put our fees up?
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    i appreciate what your saying but the lack of support when WE need it is offputting i lost out on £1500+ cos of them
    Just seen this - why haven't you taken it to a solicitor other than NCMA? Surely if you have a case you will get all your fees back?
    Debbie

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent' read replies, sorry

I have voted NCMA but I can]t say who is better as I have never used MM - I use NCMA as when I registered as part of my grant was NCMA membership, toolbox and insurance x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oh! and plus I like using NCMA contracts, child record forms, accounts book, register,.. I would be lost without these documents. If I weren't a member I would have to pay double the price when it comes to purchasing these goods

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    It is interesting that childminders, based on this thread so far, are moving companies not because of price but because of what they can also access.
    it is. worth feeding back at the regional forums. I'm going to the jan one.

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am debating whether to have insurance with mm but membership with ncma... up for renewal inmarch

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just re-newed my insurance this morning and I have switched to MM.

The main reason being the cost! I understand what you are saying about NCMA being a proffesional body etc but I needed to save the money. Also have a friend who is owed £800 by a parent and the NCMA have been next to useless in helping her so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12