Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boiler Breakdown Cover

Hi All , Just wanted to let you all know that I have had a sales call from "Homeserve" who I have been with for my boiler breakdown , plumbing , and electrical cover for years . Asking me to sign up for a new policy that would cover any visitors to my home, I replied I was already covered with my public liabilty insurance, she then put me on to her line manager who said that if *****mind for more than 2 days per week they can no longer insure me They say they have new underwriters who will no longer insure childminders , I got really angry and asked when were they planning to tell me and when were they going to refund me my monies paid? Well to cut a long story short they are letting my policies run and honor them until they run out, (luckily that's not until next year ), but after these dates I can longer get insurance through them . So be warned everyone the name is HOMESERVE .
    June
    Who does everyone else use for boiler breakdown cover ??????

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boiler Breakdown Cover

Is it just me but why cant they insure your boiler if you are a childminder? Am i missing something because I have had a drink (or two).
    Annie x

july 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I am with British Gas and they rang me a month of so ago to offer me boiler and radiator cover with them. £16 a month and is supposed to cover all parts and labour and also a yearly service. Supposed to be phoning to arrange service any time. If do as they say they will seems not a bad deal - they didn't ask if ***** mind - can't see what difference it would make?

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Is it just me but why cant they insure your boiler if you are a childminder? Am i missing something because I have had a drink (or two).
    Well Annie I have not had a drink and I can't work it out either, but they say they only cover private residences with no business use
    Last edited by Cammie Doodle; 26-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shopshelleyd View Post
    Hi

I am with British Gas and they rang me a month of so ago to offer me boiler and radiator cover with them. £16 a month and is supposed to cover all parts and labour and also a yearly service. Supposed to be phoning to arrange service any time. If do as they say they will seems not a bad deal - they didn't ask if ***** mind - can't see what difference it would make?
    Mmm I have heard when British Gas visit they recommend you change this and that to bring it all up to their standards, one of the Parents paid £3000 for new system on BG recommendations as her rads were too old!!!!! Mine still work fine and they were fitted at the same time as her old ones .

jan 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Hi All , Just wanted to let you all know that I have had a sales call from "Homeserve" who I have been with for my boiler breakdown , plumbing , and electrical cover for years . Asking me to sign up for a new policy that would cover any visitors to my home, I replied I was already covered with my public liabilty insurance, she then put me on to her line manager who said that if *****mind for more than 2 days per week they can no longer insure me They say they have new underwriters who will no longer insure childminders , I got really angry and asked when were they planning to tell me and when were they going to refund me my monies paid? Well to cut a long story short they are letting my policies run and honor them until they run out, (luckily that's not until next year ), but after these dates I can longer get insurance through them . So be warned everyone the name is HOMESERVE .
    June
    Who does everyone else use for boiler breakdown cover ??????
    I think it might be as regards to the plumbing, because I went to renew cover with three valleys to cover any pipes in your driveway etc, and on the mention of being a childminder I was told their underwriters would not cover me. What have pipes in the driveway got to do with childminding, wait for it.... because you are looking after children, its wear and tear on the pipes, and the toilet is being flushed more !!!! I commented that someone could have a family of 6, I could be a family of 4 looking after 2 children, and we would be the ones that would't be able to get insurance cover, she commented that they now will not cover for familys of 6 or more, and also a mechanic working from home would no longer be covered..... so wear and tear on pipes that was there answer !!!!

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the world is conspiring against us childminders.
    Annie x

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a nightmare is'nt it ? I had troubles a few years ago re contents cover, as most companies would cover me as long as there was no more than 4 children in my care at anyone time Now with Zurich they dont seem to have any prob with childminders at all (well as far as I know lol)

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie_5 View Post
    I think it might be as regards to the plumbing, because I went to renew cover with three valleys to cover any pipes in your driveway etc, and on the mention of being a childminder I was told their underwriters would not cover me. What have pipes in the driveway got to do with childminding, wait for it.... because you are looking after children, its wear and tear on the pipes, and the toilet is being flushed more !!!! I commented that someone could have a family of 6, I could be a family of 4 looking after 2 children, and we would be the ones that would't be able to get insurance cover, she commented that they now will not cover for familys of 6 or more, and also a mechanic working from home would no longer be covered..... so wear and tear on pipes that was there answer !!!!
    OK so I have 3 babies none of which are trained so dont use the toilet. I have one other mindee who is here for a couple of hours and might do 1 wee per day - how do they monitor that? Madness!
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with British Gas and have been for ages. Not had any trouble with them wanting me to change various things.

They have been very helpful as well. I phoned them this morning to arrange to have my annual service on my boiler and said could they do it around school runs. They replied that they do a family service where it will be between 10-12 rather than 8-1!!

Can't understand Homeserve. You could have 3 children of your own under school age and not work, so therefore you would be at home flushing the toilet more!!!
    littletreasures xx

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

i have mine with swlec as the do both my gas and electric

never had any problems actually they are coming on Tuesday to do it

cathy

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littletreasures View Post
    I'm with British Gas and have been for ages. Not had any trouble with them wanting me to change various things.

They have been very helpful as well. I phoned them this morning to arrange to have my annual service on my boiler and said could they do it around school runs. They replied that they do a family service where it will be between 10-12 rather than 8-1!!

Can't understand Homeserve. You could have 3 children of your own under school age and not work, so therefore you would be at home flushing the toilet more!!!
    That's good to know maybe Parent was easily talked round to changing heating system lol. Maybe I will renew with BG next year, do you have your Gas with them too Littletreasures?
    I was so mad with Homeserve today its a wonder they did not cancel my cover immediatly lol. But Hubby said they knew they were in the wrong for not informing me of the changes

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruby View Post
    i have mine with swlec as the do both my gas and electric

never had any problems actually they are coming on Tuesday to do it

cathy
    Ah Cathy, but do they know you are a Minder ?????

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont really know why I am moaning because I dont pay for any of those insurances - William's godfather is a plumber so he just comes out when I tell him and doesnt charge me for anything other than parts But it is still madness!
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I will renew with BG next year, do you have your Gas with them too Littletreasures?
    Yes, we do and Electricity with Seeboard.

Hubby won't change to put them together. He would prefer to pay a bit more to leave them as they are. Perhaps he's right.
    littletreasures xx

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He Could be right , now I need to shop around for new cover for next year

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annie337 View Post
    Dont really know why I am moaning because I dont pay for any of those insurances - William's godfather is a plumber so he just comes out when I tell him and doesnt charge me for anything other than parts But it is still madness!
    our neighbour is a plumber too, and does our plumbing for us, but I got boiler cover because I was minding and wanted any breakdowns done asap, so babies are kept nice and warm. The world has gone mad Im sure

LOOPYLISA Guest

If there is a problem with my heating i just go downstairs and call hubby -hes a corgi registered heating engineer!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    If there is a problem with my heating i just go downstairs and call hubby -hes a corgi registered heating engineer!

Mine is Father Christmas ,( but thats a secret)

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i told them when i changed

cathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast