Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pacey CPD tool: audit tool versus SEF

IIRC pacey were saying Ofsted would accept the pacey online 'SEF' instead of the cumbersome Ofsted SEF.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Is it correct?

Do they mean the pacey CPD tool or the audit tool to achieve the various different pacey membership levels? (ie. 'member' 'affiliate' etc etc.)

Simona Guest

Info here on SEF or alternative we can provide for Ofsted...see slide 14

Getting ready for inspection: seminar for early years providers

I understand CPPD is part and in addition to the Self Evaluation...it cannot be presented on its own unless you have devised a dual use for it
    pacey CPD is a system for their tiers in membership
    Last edited by Simona; 08-02-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do Ofsted SEF and the Pacey CPD log- it is just that, a log with 'what you want to achieve/what you did/how many CPD hours/what the result was'. There is no where in it to explain your setting, talk about your way of working, explain how you work with children etc etc.

I refer to the Pacey CPD log in my Ofsted SEF and download it occasionally to show if I was to be inspected.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't complete a SEF anymore, just the Professional Standards of Pacey. The reason being I did my first SEF when they originally came in and it took 10.5 hours, only for my inspection to be 6 hours. A complete waste of my time as I don't believe the SEF was used at all.
    Debbie

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends - as with all these things - on which inspector you get!

We had a member on the FB group recently told she was not outstanding because she hadn't done the Ofsted sef despite it not being a requirement - she did her LA document instead and was told it wasn't robust enough........

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I don't complete a SEF anymore, just the Professional Standards of Pacey. The reason being I did my first SEF when they originally came in and it took 10.5 hours, only for my inspection to be 6 hours. A complete waste of my time as I don't believe the SEF was used at all.
    Totally the opposite of my experience...so there goes the theory that inspectors are still applying individual interpretations despite Ofsted numerous guidance on how inspector must inspect and behave

the one advantage of SEF is that inspectors see this in advance and can inform themselves on our practice..this is clearly stated in the Seminar and slides I posted earlier
    the guidance is there for us to challenge inspectors if they deviate from it...it is our right to do so

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It depends - as with all these things - on which inspector you get!

We had a member on the FB group recently told she was not outstanding because she hadn't done the Ofsted sef despite it not being a requirement - she did her LA document instead and was told it wasn't robust enough........
    It's an absolute lottery, isn't it.

I spent a panicky weekend before inspection doing my SEF. My inspector read it, told me it was the worst SEF she'd ever seen, then spent the whole day here and graded me way beyond my wildest dreams (and they're pretty wild - you don't want to know....)

This sort of thing makes the whole inspection process a joke. I've never had one prospective client interested in my Ofsted report if they've had regular dealings with Ofsted (that includes teachers, TAs, a nursery deputy manager, a children's centre SLT, and a bloke who works with young offenders.) But there are still parents posting childcare search profiles insisting on good/outstanding CMs.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    IIRC pacey were saying Ofsted would accept the pacey online 'SEF' instead of the cumbersome Ofsted SEF.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Is it correct?

Do they mean the pacey CPD tool or the audit tool to achieve the various different pacey membership levels? (ie. 'member' 'affiliate' etc etc.)
    Seeing as completing a Sef is not a requirement Ofsted can not express a preference. As long as you can demonstrate that you are Self reflecting on what you do you can do it in any way you choose. I have never completed a Sef

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone done any of the free-to-members pacey training courses?

I'd like to know:-

1. Is the safeguarding course sufficient for compliance with the EYFS safeguarding training requirements?
    2. Do you have to complete the online course in one go, or can you save and keep coming back to it until completed?

Thanks.

Simona Guest

1. Is the safeguarding course sufficient for compliance with the EYFS safeguarding training requirements?
    2. Do you have to complete the online course in one go, or can you save and keep coming back to it until completed?

Thanks.
    Online courses usually give you a log in system...do your work...save and go back the next day by logging in again
    Educare training do that

The course has various levels ...and also a refresher ...but...make sure you have your LA LSCB guidelines to apply to your policy and you know their name and number.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

[*]Is the safeguarding course sufficient for compliance with the EYFS safeguarding training requirements?[*]Do you have to complete the online course in one go, or can you save and keep coming back to it until completed?

Thanks.
    I completed the one on autism the other day. Im pretty sure I could have left it and come back later although I didn't

I would also like to know about the safeguarding one