Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PACEY Settling in period

Hi guys,

I have two children starting with me full time who I have looked after in a nursery and know of me well. I haven't looked after them for around 6months, but I know they will be fine with me. Mum and Dad will be signing contracts this evening and I am going over the PACEY contracts. With the Settling in period it states in the contract

'A 2-4 week settling in period is recommended at the start of the arrangement. During this time no notice or notice payment will be required if either party wishes to end the agreement, but all other areas of the contract are applicable.' (what is the notice payment?)

Mum has asked if we can offer a settling in session before they start. They are due to start 1st September and my insurance starts this day too. I rang PACEY and I am unable to move my insurance forward. However I have looked after them babysitting a few times where I've not had insurance so would a couple hours be okay? Although they are still in their current nursery until Friday 29th August so I'm not sure where they want this settling in?

I feel they may ask to knock money off the first week to provide 'a settling in' period... but they are already getting a discount and I do not want to knock any more money off as I cannot afford this. Also, could I say they can't come a full day if it's a settling in session as they are booked in 7.30-6.30 but will generally come before 8-5ish. Kinda defeats the point of a 'settling in' if they are in all day all week...

Do people offer a free settling in for 2-4 weeks?

Thanks

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Using the words 'settling in' sessions and periods, can sometimes confuse parents (and minders)

I use 'getting to know you sessions' as 'settling in sessions' - This is done to introduce the child/ren to me and my setting.
    As an idea: first one parent and child stays for an hour, 2nd one parent stays for 30 mins, then leaves for 30 mins, 3rd session parent stays for 15 mins and leaves for 45 mins, 4th session parent drops of for an hour.
    Some minders do sessions for free, may build the time up to a couple of hours, or do these sessions for a longer time period, but not generally for full or half days.

The settling in period is the first few weeks (2-4 or whatever you agree on) of a contract with normal contracted and payable hours.
    When notice to terminate a contract is given, it's normally 4 weeks paid notice. If it turns out during the settling in period that things aren't working out, then parent or minder can give notice without the parent having to pay said notice period.

If parents want a weeks worth of 'getting to know you sessions' then they would be paying me

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the settling in period as stated in contracts is generally just a period of time ( 2-4 weeks ) from the start of the agreed contracted hours during which time care can be terminated by either party with little/no notice and no payment for hours unworked. if you were unsure who a child might be, or were having issues with a child/family, then you might then extend the settling in period during which you can quickly and easily terminate the contract.

a settling in session is different - this is an hour or 2 when the child comes to play ( with or without parent ) to get to know you/you to get to know child before child starts regular contracted hours.

once contracts are signed i usually do a 30-60mins visit where mum comes too for a cup of tea, and we all play, but with mum sitting back a bit and letting child get to know me. then i do another visit where mum drops off for 30-60mins, and then comes back to pick up child. depending upon how the child is ( or the parent ) i might do another 1 or 2 settling sessions, but at my discretion. i fit these in before the child starts regular contract. i don't charge for these settling in sessions, but if the parent wanted more or longer, then i would charge for them.

good luck x

4. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

okay thanks. that's great to know

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, in the pacey contract where it states to include the public/bank holidays recognised by childminder, do u list just the dates or what they are. eg 'good friday' .... the dates change each year and how far would u list them in advance??