Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Well impressed with Home minder

I am with Morton Michel for my car at the moment ... I always shop around but found it difficult to get a company who would give me cover as a childminder this year for some reason...

thats good advice Ellie... always shop around and be clear what you want!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Well impressed with Home minder

Hi

I'd like to add that I've been with Homeminder for a few years now. I always shop around for the best quote and found Homeminder to be cheaper than several other companies, with far more items covered. It gives me peace of mind that the mindees posessions are covered as well as my minding equipment. I've also got the motor insurance with Layton Blackham. The quote was very competitive and the staff are always very friendly and helpful. When I had an accident a couple of years ago, they were fantastic. I was a wreck when I phoned them - had just scraped my neighbours car while parking (another car was speeding towards me at the time). They sorted everything out, including a hire car. My neighbour was really impressed when they sorted out the garage who did a rubbish re-spray job on his car. He asked who I was insured with & said he's consider them when his insurance was up for renewal.
    This morning got the quote for building & contents insurance, which seems reasonable & I can pay in 10 monthly payments for no extra charge. Great for budgeting.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EllieF View Post
    Word of warning if you are thinking of using motorminder for your car insurance
    I have been with them for a few years, always have all the add ons etc, and last year had an accident, all was fine untill renewal this month.
    They told me I did not have protected no claims so it was going to cost £1200 to renew!
    I always have all the add ons, so how did this happen?
    Their response was that I should have checked the paperwork they sent through, which is quite right, but I am still peeved.
    Anyway, I went onto the online comparison sites, and all other insurance companies quoted between £400 and £600
    A big difference!
    It pays to shop around (and check the paperwork)
    Ellie
    Only just seen this thread havent been on the forum very long.

I have never found Home minder very compeitive. Been with Churchill for years never had a problem being a childminder with them and years ago when we had a fire in the flat next door they were fantastic dealing with the claim.

We have had Motor Minder cover though WHAT A NIGHTMARE! They seem incapable of getting document details right, whats with the additional £44 fee to make sure
    you get the right size hire car so you can work?!!!!!

I did have cover for a Year the renewal quote was £265.39 plus tax £13.27 plus £25 for legal cover plus £20 Broker Admin fee

TOTAL £323.66 plus that extra £44 for car hire of course
    £367.66

I googled and have renewed with Churchill (I was with them before I went to motor minder) and wait for it the premium........

£247.80!!!!!!

It includes tax, legal cover and I paid £15 extra (incl in the total ) for an enhanced hire car deal. It covers me and hubby for childminding' covers all cars seat replacement everything that motor minder does and I've saved myself £120 quid.

Motor minder had great difficulty in getting the details right or even sending ammended papers for checking.
    They also seem to be into trying to scare you in so much as they think they are the only people who provide full and comprehensive cover for childminders. Thats what they did when iI rang yesterday to say I wasnt going to renew with them!
    There is no mention I can find of any extra or special chilminding cover in the fancy 'Your Elite Motor Programme' folder they send out as far as I can see 'Childminding' is not specifically mentioned anywhere , Members of the 'Guild of Beauty Therapists' are although apparently they are not covered by Layton Blackham any more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Layton Blackham are now called Bluefin by the way, same tel and address.

Thats my rant of the day!!!!!!!

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i tried getting a quote off homeminder/ layton blackham, left my details and they said they would email me back............ 5 days later im still waiting?????????

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well why am I not surprised! They should have sent me an updated renewal document on the 18th dec cause the got some details wrong - still waiting!

I rang them yesterday they apparently had no record but they did have a record that I'd called that day and had sent other info. They also took six months last year to send a refund!!!

As you can see from previous post I've renewed with Churchill.

Wouldn't touch LB (Bluefin) with a bargepole again.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Well why am I not surprised! They should have sent me an updated renewal document on the 18th dec cause the got some details wrong - still waiting!

I rang them yesterday they apparently had no record but they did have a record that I'd called that day and had sent other info. They also took six months last year to send a refund!!!

As you can see from previous post I've renewed with Churchill.

Wouldn't touch LB (Bluefin) with a bargepole again.
    Well i have to thank you Rickysmiths as i have done a home insurance quote with Churchill and its comeback at £98.... im paying £268 with Norwich union and thats without allowing to be a childminder!!! a big thankyou as im going to get that changed over asap!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really pleased I wish mine was that cheap!!!!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i am surprised that you have had a bad experience with them
    when i called round last year for a cheaper quote and got one from norwich union layton blackham matched the quote so i saved £80 on their own price

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so much the quotes though spose the renewal was high. Its more their general attitude and they way they tried to scare me into renewing with them by strongly implying that no other company provides adequate cover and it really annoys me when companies behave like that.

By the way I have been driving since 1973 had my own insurance since 1983 have full no claims and dont live in a very high risk area. I drive a med sized family car and in all those years have been involved in only 4 accidents all minor bumps, so I dont think I am very high risk.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Well impressed with Home minder

Quote Originally Posted by Ebs71 View Post
    Well i tried getting a quote off homeminder/ layton blackham, left my details and they said they would email me back............ 5 days later im still waiting?????????
    Well they eventually rang me back twice yesterday (in 10 min period) whilst i was driving so i couldnt answer but they left me 2 voice mail. Then later in the afternoon a lady called and did my quote there and then £384!!!!! absolutly ridiculous, thats with over 5 years no claims too, especially as chuchill was £9?.... its a big difference, so im going to check that the covers are the same and that churchill havn't missed anything off IYGWIM. To top it all, the original gent who left me a 2 voice mail when i was driving rang me back yeasterday tea time and when i explained that his collegue had already done me a quote a few hours earlier he was very hostile with me saying 'well i left you 2 messages to phone me back!!'..... obviously he just wanted the commision!!!

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! At least you can claim for it

Liz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12