1st Inspection!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Inspection!!!!

Hi all,

I can tell that this is going to be a long one as I have so much on my mind

I received a call from Prospect on Friday to say that I will have my 1st inspection some time within the next 2 weeks. Apparantly they don't give us the exact date anymore

So now I need to live like a domestic goddess for at least 2 weeks. Dont get me wrong I strive to make my house as clean and tidy as postive but there is always something that you put of til later isn't there. Well not for me at the minute. My dh and ds cant sit down without being dusted!

I think im prepared but would welcome any advice. Some questions that spring to mind are as follows:

1. Am i correct in thinking that i should ask for id and get her to sign my guest book?

2. I look after 2 2 year olds and dont use stairgates as they dont go near the stairs. On my training course i was told that you didnt have to use them, just demonstrate that the children are safe. Should i use them?

3. Changing nappies - i use a changin mat for both babies, detol it after use, then put the nappy in my outside bin (which is just outside of my kitchen door), then wash my hands in the kitchen? All ok? Is it ok for the inspector to be left alone with the children while i dispose of the nappy? Do I HAVE to wear disposable loves?

4. What paperwork will they ask to see?

5. With my attendance register, I dont get parents to sign it, nor with my expenses. Will this be frowned on do you think?

6. Do I just play with the children in the usual way while she is there?

7. How long do they stay?

8. What could lead to me being given 'unsatisfactory'.

9. I have no fire drill log yet as the kiddies are so young. Is that bad?

10. I go to a couple of toddler groups and out for walks each week, am i expected to wait in for them?!?

I think thats it for now - sorry all! In a way i am actually looking forward to my inspection just to get it out of the way and to know i am on track!

Thanks for reading

Registered Childminder since
    jan 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

first off all don't panic...
    you donot have to live in a palace u can have a bit of a lived house as long as its clean and safe...
    i opened the door on the chain and asked for her id.... and when she took it off her neck i looked at it then opened the door.. and visitors book yes if that
    is the way you keep a record..
    stairgates as long as you can show how u keep them safe that should be fine
    Nappies.... i didnt leave them alone with the inspector at all and putting it in the bin and the dettol is fine but you should wear gloves..
    paperwork .. have you got eyfs jourmals on the go for the children ?? even if its only a few pieces of paper they will still wanna se it.. and then your policies, training and things like your car insurance, mot. crb checks ..#
    the attencance register ... every inspector i have had have been different some think its vital others don't ... yes just play with the children as normal , mine stayed 3 half hours and they said if they werent there by ten they werenot coming and as long as you have an answer for what would be your plan if there was a fire ..

hope it helps goog luck and RELAX

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely need to be having fire drills it's not just about the kids being too young, it's getting then used to the noise, that noise means leave the house, it's also about you practicing how you are going to get two three small kids out safely. Attendance register doesn't need to be signed

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

with regards to fire drills, i only had 2 babies (8 months old) and told her that the smoke alarm had gone off due to sausages cooking so I turned off the grill and took the babies outside until the alarm stopped and the house was "safe" again. I told her that i didn't write it up as the babies were too young to have learnt anything from it but that they would know that of they hear the scary noise, we would go outside. She seemed happy with that.