1st Inspection... HELP!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Inspection... HELP!!!

Mr O has called- he is coming Wed afternoon onwards up to friday!!

I do not know where to begin!! All my paperwork is in place etc I am just worried incase I don't have enough things to do or what if i run out of things to say to the children!! The children I have don't speak much as it is. Depending on the day i have a 2 1/2 yr old with delayed speech, a 20month old and it will b her first day and a ten month old!!

Any fool proof activity ideas? I will have the child led ones that children can access- i'm just thinking of focused activities.

Penny1959 Guest

I would go for open ended resources - such as wooden blocks, saucepans and spoons, containers and things to put in them, water play including painting with water on path / patio.

Or anything that mindees enjoy and are interested in.

As for running out of things to say - give a running commentary about what you are doing and why - and what the children are doing.

For example 'I am just go to put on the special nappy cream that mummy likes me to use'

' Oh well done A, you have built a tower with 6 bricks - you did that on ? - now lets see can you add another brick. Shall I build a tall tower for you to knock down?'

and so on

not only does it help avoid horrid silences - you can give Mrs O a lot more information without her / him having to ask questions or look for in your folders

Good luck with you inspection

Penny

Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply Penny.

What you have said definatley makes sense!

I see u have been registered since April '10 and have an Outstanding grade, does this mean you scored this on your first inspection?? I have been told to expect satisfactory for a first inspection although I am secretly hoping for higher!!

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vikkileeds View Post

I see u have been registered since April '10 and have an Outstanding grade, does this mean you scored this on your first inspection?? I have been told to expect satisfactory for a first inspection although I am secretly hoping for higher!!
    i was told by my DO that i wouldnt receive anything but a satisfactory & should be pleased with it.....but i got a good
    What a crock!!!

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

tips....

put all files on dining table at hand
    invite in and look at ID remember its your setting so show him around
    introduce to LO's

have photoes of everdance to show off
    remember hand washing etc

mention fire evacuation doors

you will be gr8 good luck

Feb 11
    Non childminder member
    Little Learners
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck, I'm sure you'll be great

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vikkileeds View Post

Yes I did get outstanding at my first graded inspection - but then so have quite a few others on here.

In my case the registered April 10 is a little confusing - it is true - but I was also registered from 1985 - 2004 and in between I worked for NCMA as a Network coordinator and the LA as a childminding development officer - so really I have over 25 years experience of childminding - and in my NCMA and LA job I learnt fron the 'other side of the fence'

As I say others have also recieved an outstanding at their first inspection - and not had my background - so it is totally wrong to say you can not get any higher than a satisfactory - and anyone saying so need to be taken to task for it .

Yes a lot do get satisfactory - I hate that word - but usually it is because the inspection is so close to when the start minding their first child that they do not have evidence to show the inspector about the child's development or about their own reflective practice - so in my opinion they are not satisfactory because they are doing anything wrong - they just need time to gather the evidence, to try out their recording systems and to then reflect on what is working and what is not.

The other main reason - is lack of confidence and not explaining to the inspector why they do what they do - and not being able to challenge what are sometimes inspectors personal views and not within EYFS at all!

I hope all goes well with your inspection - and remember if you do get satisfactory - that actually means that you are meeting the requirements and have 'passed' - so there is no shame in it at all.

Penny

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my inspection on thursday and am petrified! I have spent the last few nights making sure my policies and risk assessments are up to date.
    My main concern is the children's development files and linking it up with the areas of learning, not sure I am doing it right.
    Can anyone confirm that I should defeinitely have individual learnig plans - not sure how to do these as it seems so confusing - HELP please!!!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i got asked for risk ass i hadn't done but as i could tell her the risks she was happy i just hadn't got around to it.

Ofsted lady loved my observaions, learning journey.
    I do a observation a week which is a list of all the area and a note next to the ones the activity touched upon and a photo next to it.
    Then i have photocopied the a4 sheet supplie with all eyfs stuff listed and do one a month. then i have a detailed 6 mthly form with all the points from the practice guidance.

only have one baby so i know that if you have lots it is difficult.
    sit and play with the kids, follow them if they move about. good luck

Satisfactory is like a 2:2, good a 2:1 and outstanding a 1st. all excellent grades!