Why socket covers should NOT be used

Threaded View

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why socket covers should NOT be used

Hi, I am one of the founders of the FatallyFlawed campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of plug-in socket covers.

There have been several recent references to the use of socket covers in these threads, so as it is almost three years sicnce Ofsted policy on socket covers changed (as a result of the FatallyFlawed campaign) I hope you do not mind me bringing the issue to your attention once more.

• British 13 Amp sockets have built in automatic shutters to protect against children poking things in them.
    • First introduced more than 60 years ago, they are considered the safest in the world and do not require external covers.
    • No responsible national body recommends using socket covers.
    • That includes the UK Government, RoSPA, Ofsted, Child Accident Prevention Trust and Electrical Safety Council.
    • Sockets are made to accept plugs which meet very exact requirements. Anything which is not a standard plug MUST be made to the same dimensions as required for plugs. No socket covers which meet those dimensions are available!

Please note, ALL UK power sockets (three rectangular pins) have shutters, even those which are 60 years old!

Socket covers introduce a variety of dangers; they make sockets less safe, not more.

Some socket covers have many faults, some just a few, but none makes sockets safer than they already are.

www.fatallyflawed.org.uk has lots of detail on socket covers, the dangers they create, and reviews of many different types.

Ofsted does not require you to use socket covers!

In the interests of safety you shopuld regularly check the condition of your sockets, and you may want to include that in your risk assessment. Make sure that the socket shows no signs of damage and check the operation of the shutters. There is a guide to checking the shutters on our FAQ page.

I hope that you will find this information of interest.
    Last edited by Socketman; 10-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.