Why socket covers should NOT be used
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I read this thread, late last night, and have since gone onto the fatally flawed website and looked at the videos!

I am totally gobsmacked as this, as it is natural instinct to think, let's pit a socket cover on any exposed sockets!!!

Hugely grateful to the poster and the creators of the website for this information!

Aug '11
    Post Thanks / Like

Soo wish I'd read this before yesterday!!!

Covers were briefly mentioned in my cypop course workshop but I kept my trap shut, by that point in the day I was bored and really questioning my career path

but there was a positive mention of having to use socket covers!

I have Ofsted due over the next 3 weeks (only got eyfs age kid on a weds) hopefully wont get a dumb one

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We covered this in a network meeting the other day. Apparently Ofsted will not say you should or should not use them, it is down to your risk assessment so individuals choice. However if you have any socket covers in place at all you need to use them in every single socket including those hidden behind chairs etc as you have assessed them as necessary. Obviously most of us will agree its better not to use them but I thought I would add this incase anyone has any stray ones knocking around as that is where you will have a problem (at least if the inspector knows the guidelines!)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    Soo wish I'd read this before yesterday!!!

Covers were briefly mentioned in my cypop course workshop but I kept my trap shut, by that point in the day I was bored and really questioning my career path

but there was a positive mention of having to use socket covers!

I have Ofsted due over the next 3 weeks (only got eyfs age kid on a weds) hopefully wont get a dumb one
    As long as you have a RA explaining briefly why you choose not to use socket covers you will be fine. I don't use them and I was inspected, we have had an extension built and all new wiring so all the sockets are half up the wall now and the inspector never even mentioned it.

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

will take mine out today
    One life live it

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it might be helpful to add the following information to this thread, it is taken from page 11 of an Ofsted document that you can find here.

"Childcare safety issue – electrical socket covers
    Some inspectors are continuing to make judgements about risks to children when inspecting childcare settings where the provider has decided not to use electrical socket covers on exposed sockets.

Our position on the use of electrical socket covers has not changed. We neither encourage nor discourage the responsible use of socket covers as part of a risk-assessed approach to electrical safety. In line with the relevant requirements for registration, it is up to each individual registered provider to demonstrate to us that the environment is safe for children and meets legal requirements. It is for the provider to decide, as part of the risk assessment they carry out at their premises, how best to protect children from any dangers associated with electric sockets and appliances.

Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports. If a provider is unsure whether or not to use socket covers and asks our advice, we should refer them to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers and the type of sockets considered as ‘safe’."

The last phrase is both curious and pointless, the standard UK socket, introduced in 1945, has always been safe as it has built in safety shutters. Providing you are using flat pin sockets, not round pin, you are safe.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Socketman
    Pauline x

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my inspection 6 weeks ago and haven't used socket covers for several years. The inspector didn't mention anything about them although I have an I formation sheet from the fatally flawed website in a file. I also gave all the parents one a long time ago

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was the same in Sept. I have risk assessed and have info with this and the inspector didn't even mention or question that I have no socket covers anymore.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by the Fire Brigade when I had my fire inspection that I should definately use socket covers. They say that a child can still push an object into the socket and push the pins to one side.

Its all very confusing getting conflicting advice from different sources!

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I was told by the Fire Brigade when I had my fire inspection that I should definately use socket covers. They say that a child can still push an object into the socket and push the pins to one side.

Please ask your Fire Brigade what socket covers they would recommend. I say this because there are no standards for socket covers, and therefore no regulation (apart from the requirement that if a child tries to eat a cover it will neither poison nor choke them). We know that there are no socket covers which are the correct size to safely place in a socket, and that oversized pins can permanently damage socket contacts, giving rise to the potential to overheat and catch fire. If a Fire Brigade wishes to recommend that you use covers they have to be prepared to state which covers and be prepared to stand behind that recommendation.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post

I would challenge anyone to find anything that was small enough that the children would be unsupervised with that would actually fit. The they have to be strong enough to actually push it in the hole and move the shutter!!! So unlikely that it is a very small risk to take.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Thanks Socketman
    Socketman, you are a safety superhero!

I had no idea these things were so dangerous.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post
    I just read this and now have visions of a superman kind of character flying in to the rescue

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I just read this and now have visions of a superman kind of character flying in to the rescue
    It's a blockbuster 3D movie trilogy based on the best selling graphic/young adult/prize winning novels that is just begging to be made!

or something...

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that information. Quite scary especially when i thought sockets covers were safe.

Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting - thanks for the info

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post

I had no idea these things were so dangerous.

Hi All,

It is a while since I last visited this thread, so I only just found out about my elevation! Thank you very much.

MK, the leading socket manufacturer, recently endorsed the FatallyFlawed campaign, you can see their statement on our home page, www.fatallyflawed.org.uk

With respect to the Fire Brigade references above, I am still very keen to hear about advice from fire officers. I recently came across official advice from West Midlands Fire Service, they are quite clearly warning against socket covers, see
    http://www.wmfs.net/content/plug-socket-covers

Best wishes, David

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to defend the ofsted inspector i had in light of this. She pointed out to me that they are now frowned upon during my pre reg visit. So i havent put any in place, even though some of my sockets are mid way up the wall in my play room. It seems so hit and miss as to which inspector you get. We all deserve more consistency from them i think!

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I think we now need to see how many uses we can put our redundant socket covers to!

They make good wind mobiles, they scratch painty pictures really well, make little picnic tables for ladybirds, squish into playdough, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm
    Over to someone else...............!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast