Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Hi all,

I need help and fast please.
    Had my inspection on Friday. I really pushed the boat out and had everything spick and span. I knew my paperwork side would let me down a little as i havent had my EYFS pack very long and was a little confused with it all.
    She arrived and all went well, she said the love, care and attention i gave the children was brilliant. She could see the children were happy and settled here. My safety check was good too, so i thought i was on to a good start there!
    She was thrilled with a couple of letters from parents explaining how happy they were with my services.
    Now came the down side - paperwork!
    She started with my contracts and info forms, all policies were good, but needed a little more attention but not much.
    Then came the EYFS pack....... she put me down so much on this i cried! i explained i hadnt had it long, was going on a course early February to help me with it....... that didnt matter one bit!
    I got an Inadequate grade!
    I am so upset about this as i thought the main priority is the happiness and safety of the children. Obviously not! Paperwork comes first!

Can anyone give me some examples as to what i am supposed to be doing as far as assessments etc. She said i do it every day just dont write it down.

I would appreciate as much help as anyone can give me please as she is coming back in 6 to 12 months for another inspection.

Thank you xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Oh I'm so sorry that happened to you!

It is about the care of the children... but with the Eyfs it is now a legal requirement to write things down.

Ok, so the first thing you need is a book for each child... a scrap book or loose leaf, whichever you prefer.

Header page - child's name and age, a nice photo...

Next pages - make a note of what the child is doing / what the child enjoys / what the child says / how the child acts etc.

You could back this up with photos or things the child has drawn / made etc.

Link this note you have made to the Eyfs ages and stages information at the back of the statutory requirements. Use the right age information for the child - they all overlap so choose the one most relevant.

THEN use what you have seen to decide what kinds of activities the child will enjoy next. It's what you do already, just write it down!!

It's an ongoing thing, every week try and write up a little bit more about each child. It will build into a really nice booklet of evidence that the child can take home when he leaves.

Don't forget to get comments from the child, parents and other places the child goes (if relevant) and put those in the book too.

Keep it simple... it's not about writing an essay. Keep it relevant to the child... it's not about waffling on.

There are lots of places to look for more ideas... here's a good place to start.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/3/1.htm

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyf...gfrombirth.pdf

Hth

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Thank you so much for you help.
    Its all just a matter of simplicity, i was totally confused with the pack.
    I will do as you say, and also check the websites out for more info.
    Once again thank you and its nice to have someone to talk to
    Sharon xx

Aug 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry this has happened to you, I can't really add anymore to the advice Sarah has given as she is the best, but I do want to say don't become disheartened. Once you have got into the swing of it you will find it is quite useful and also can be fun and the main thing is the children and their parents already know you are good and that the children are happy and that is the most important thing.

So keep smiling.

Sara

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Thanks Sara

It's just disheartening that i got the inadequate, because she did say i know you can do it and i have every confidence in you and mayb when i come back you will hit the good or even outstanding.. that's why i thought the inadequate was a little harsh. I thought a satisfactory was a better outcome but underline the fact i need to work on the paperwork side of things.
    Never mind, i am looking positive now, rather than disillusioned!
    I will get stuck in and prove i can do it.

Thanks again

Sharon xx

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible thing to have happened when you were doing so well, you must be so disappointed.

Don't worry, if you follow Sarah's advice you will be doing great next time you see your inspector.

Good luck.

x

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you had a horrible grading but you have come to the right place for loads of support, ideas and help. Sarah's advice will be spot on. Hopefully your training will help but if you get stuck just give a shout and you will get plenty of help from here. Most importantly she was pleased with the care you gave the children and should show that in your report. xx
    Annie x

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you've had such a rough time over this.

Just remember your "parents" are happy with the care you give their children and that is the most important thing.

Not everyone is good at getting things down on paper but they can be fantastic childminders.

There is lots of information on the forum to help you, Sarah707 has written e-books you can buy to help you and there are lots of other books about the EYFS (The Practical EYFS Handbook by Penny Tassoni is just one that some members have found really useful)

Whatever questions you have there will always be someone here to help.

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She probably gave you an inadequate to give you a chance to get the paperwork in order. I may be wrong but as far as i know if she gave you a satisfactory they wouldn't inspect again for three years.

Still very harsh for you though. Don't let it knock your confidence you know the children are happy, well cared for and safe.

Now just see this as an opportunity to knock their socks off with all the paperwork you'll have next time they come.

You will find the answer to all your questions here and there's always someone to listen even if you just want to sound off.

Lots of luck and remember you are a good minder now you just have to prove it to ofsted.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this, but like others have said do what Sarah has said and then when you have your training behind you things should have a better outcome next time, and at least you get chance to put it right earlier than 3 years to wait

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

follow Sarahs advice, just sending hugs
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meggamee View Post
    Thanks Sara

It's just disheartening that i got the inadequate, because she did say i know you can do it and i have every confidence in you and mayb when i come back you will hit the good or even outstanding.. that's why i thought the inadequate was a little harsh. I thought a satisfactory was a better outcome but underline the fact i need to work on the paperwork side of things.
    Never mind, i am looking positive now, rather than disillusioned!
    I will get stuck in and prove i can do it.

Thanks again

Sharon xx
    Oh god that's horrible! I'm really worried about my own inspection - I didn't think anyone got an inadequate and that seems really harsh with what you've said! But, YOU CAN DO IT GIRL!!!! When she's been next time and given you the grade you deserve, you come back on here and let everyone know - in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS! Ok?

xx

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww, Sharon, that's awful, I really feel for you. As everyone says, take Sarah's advice. It's a bit of a mare this paperwork stuff, I think it is anyway, it confuses me and I've been doing it longer than you. I feel she was really unfair and hard on you. Hope you've cheered up now. Miserable old devil she was!!!
    Sue

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

How Awful for you and unfair to boot by the sounds of it. I totally agree with all thats been said here and have nothing more to add but really wanted to send a big hug and say CHIN UP!

jo x x x

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sue m View Post
    Aww, Sharon, that's awful, I really feel for you. As everyone says, take Sarah's advice. It's a bit of a mare this paperwork stuff, I think it is anyway, it confuses me and I've been doing it longer than you. I feel she was really unfair and hard on you. Hope you've cheered up now. Miserable old devil she was!!!

I agree. Sounds like one of the tough ones. It would seem to me from reading many of the threads here that its a complete lottery as to who you get for inspection and how they grade. Ofsted need to get themselves sorted out and put in place some standards to follow. Whose inspecting the inspectors!!!!!

Sorry, got a bit cross there for a mo

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Thank you everyone for all your replies. It has helped me come to terms with it. To be honest i had contemplated packing my job in but when i have people like you here to encourage me i feel a lot happier.
    Just been asked to look after a 6month old baby full time! Just shows me that i am a good childminder no matter what my grade was!
    I will keep you all informed and take your advice and hopefully will get there!
    Thanks again EVERYONE!

Sharon xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meggamee View Post
    Thank you everyone for all your replies. It has helped me come to terms with it. To be honest i had contemplated packing my job in but when i have people like you here to encourage me i feel a lot happier.
    Just been asked to look after a 6month old baby full time! Just shows me that i am a good childminder no matter what my grade was!
    I will keep you all informed and take your advice and hopefully will get there!
    Thanks again EVERYONE!

Sharon xx
    I also had a horrid inspection last week, I had absolutely everything covered paperwork wise and basically she didnt give a I am stilll very furious as the things she put me down for were pathetic in mu opinion. I have been in a foul mood since and cant shift it

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Louise
    i can sympathise totally. its just not fair.
    i am sure there is a complaints procedure for us too, we have to have them!
    anyway, chin up and hope the mood changes soon for you.
    we all know we do a damn good job here.... don't let it get you down.
    if i can pull myself back up i am sure you can

Sharon xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad your not going to give up Sharon, like the inspector said you have the care bit perfect and thats what is important

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no! stoopid OFSTED. just sending big hugs
    Love Lisa xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast