Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Sending you lots of hugs. I reallly feel for you, especially after all the hard work you obviously have done.

On the positive side, the inspector sounded very happy with everything else. I'm positive that once you find a system of planning/observing/evaluating that suits you then you will fly through your next inspection!

Don't give up....you CAN do it!

At the end of the day you are providing a service. If you are busy, with happy children and parents then you are a success!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ladies don't forget that there is an appeala process and what one inspector doesn't like the next one might. Don't be afraid to challenge Ofsted if you feel there is a case to be heard.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that you showed her your contracts. She has no right to see them and I hope she didn't ask too. This is reportable too.

Chin up and I am sure when she comes back you will jump at least 1 grade
    Debbie

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh you poor love,you sound like a lovely person. I think that was being really mean. I really think that the grading system is completely unfair and it's about time they changed it.

And also,it wouldn't be so bad if all inspectors worked from the same page,I've been told so many times that it depends who you get, what mood they're in and that different ones pick you up on different things. I really think it needs changing. What do you guys think?

Chin up me darlin' don't let the wotsits grind you down.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louise 144 View Post
    And also,it wouldn't be so bad if all inspectors worked from the same page,I've been told so many times that it depends who you get, what mood they're in and that different ones pick you up on different things. I really think it needs changing. What do you guys think?
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here disagreeing with you on that one!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

do ypu have a develpoment worker she should be able to help and actually show you a learning journal or child scrap book and what exactly ofsted are looking for. when i know thta ofsted were comeing to me i rang mine and asked her to come round and make sure i had all my paper work up to date and correct she even had a cheack list relating to the statatury frame work that is the legal requirement we have to work to. when i told the ofsted lady this she said that was good and that is what they get paid to do.

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Poor you. The only way is up!!

I chalenged my Inspector. She said I had outstanding in all but my medical records. This was because I had a Personal Medical Plan for a child who suffered with Asthma and needed to use an inhaler as and when required. The plan said you could not overdose on the reliever and that I was given permission to administer it as necessary. Inspector asked if the child held the inhaler or me. Child was 1 at the time so obviously it was me. She said I must telephone mum before administering medication. I said child could end up in a bad way if I waited to speak to mum first - she was a teacher, so not at the end of a phone.

I told the inespector she was being harsh as I had everything in place. She said maybe she was but that was it. I asked for the complaints procedure there and then. She asked why and I said I was going to appeal. She then said she would talk to her superior and get back to me. After about an hour she called back and said she was being harsh and my grade was outstanding.

I could easily have accepted what she said but felt it was an injustice.

Glad I stood up for myself. I don't think we do it often enough!!

Helen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding my voice to the sympathy from others....a harsh experience especially in light of your brilliant rapport with the children and parents.

The crunch is this: the EYFS is a legal requirement( has been since September 2008) , just like safety equipment, attendance logs etc. And that is why you were judged inadequate, you are falling below the law in this area. But the up side is it is easily remedied...get the paperwork and you will be allowed to shine, your inspectoar has said as much....she obvo=iously does not think you truly inadequate or you would be receiving a visit much sooner than months, and she is allowing you to continue trading so you are not really inadequate are you?
    DO you have a Childcare coordinator, or development officer, ask them to come and see you and help you get sorted. Group training is one thing but sometimes a one to one over a cup of tea is all that it takes.

Good luck.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

i am going to a sure start meeting this week and they are hopefully going through the requirements. I dont have anyone i can ring for help as in a development officer or such. so hopefully surestart will help. i have also been in touch with the reception teacher at the school where one of my mindies goes and she is willing to help.
    i feel more confident every day and have made a start!
    as far as the inadequate, i totally agree that she must not think i am "inadequate" from her comments. everything was spot on and she couldnt fault me apart from this paperwork.
    thanks again and i will keep you informed

sharon xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HelenJC View Post
    Hi

Poor you. The only way is up!!

I chalenged my Inspector. She said I had outstanding in all but my medical records. This was because I had a Personal Medical Plan for a child who suffered with Asthma and needed to use an inhaler as and when required. The plan said you could not overdose on the reliever and that I was given permission to administer it as necessary. Inspector asked if the child held the inhaler or me. Child was 1 at the time so obviously it was me. She said I must telephone mum before administering medication. I said child could end up in a bad way if I waited to speak to mum first - she was a teacher, so not at the end of a phone.

I told the inespector she was being harsh as I had everything in place. She said maybe she was but that was it. I asked for the complaints procedure there and then. She asked why and I said I was going to appeal. She then said she would talk to her superior and get back to me. After about an hour she called back and said she was being harsh and my grade was outstanding.

I could easily have accepted what she said but felt it was an injustice.

Glad I stood up for myself. I don't think we do it often enough!!

Helen
    Blimey, I bet you gave her a shock. GOOD FOR YOU!! I imagine she had rarely been challenged in the past and it just goes to show if you believe what is said is unfair and act upon it, you may be able to change the outcome.

WELL DONE!

jo x x x

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone this has happened to some of my friends follow Sarah's advice and next time the grade will be higher

Allie

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

wow sorry to read about your inspection.

it is sad to see some inspectors think paperwork is more important.

I was due my inspection in sept 08 or so i thought which I was hoping to get away with saying yes I've made a start with EYFS but still learning about it. now its Feb and no inspection meaning I cant sue the excuse that its all new to me as I've had 4 months to get to grips with it.

i actually think I've been forgotten about which isnt good but I'm now working on getting my act together with the OU course too ( if I stop reading in here and concerntrate more on my suff that is).

Thankyou Sarah for the tips too I have some in action but need to do more.

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Ladies don't forget that there is an appeala process and what one inspector doesn't like the next one might. Don't be afraid to challenge Ofsted if you feel there is a case to be heard.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that you showed her your contracts. She has no right to see them and I hope she didn't ask too. This is reportable too.

Chin up and I am sure when she comes back you will jump at least 1 grade
    hI Debbie ofsted always want to see my contracts when they come Annmmac x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annmccarthy View Post
    hI Debbie ofsted always want to see my contracts when they come Annmmac x
    My inspector looked at my contracts too!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise2613 View Post
    My inspector looked at my contracts too!!
    mine too its to check the hours you have children contracted for or so i thought

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel so upset for you Sharon. Take Sarah's advice and show Ofsted what you are capable of next time they come.

sept 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as i see it, i think she was totally harsh there with you,to judge you "inadequate" is disgraceful,if she could see the children are happy with you and so are the parents, then i think you deserved a better grade than that,i would be devastated too if i got that(we`ll see tomorrow,my inspection is noon HIGH NOON!!!)
    My sympathies to you x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12