Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall problem!

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wall problem!

Yesterday, my EY team picked up on a problem we have and basically said this is the only real concern Ofsted will have with my setting.

Where I live, it's a conservation area (Yorkshire for you!) and the wall at the back of our garden is only around 3ft tall. Problem is, over that wall is around a 12ft drop into a shallow stream. Before now, I just thought it was ideallic as the ducks and their ducklings would gather down there and we would feed them but now of course, with my CM head on, can obviously see it's going to be a problem in terms of potential children climbing.

EY team said Ofsted would have a heart-attack, lol or maybe not so lol!

Anyway, trying to attach a photo so you can get the general idea (see attachment - small but had to be to upload it!)

Basically, I know I have to do something but I am looking for ideas as to what. Obviously we dont want anything too permanent or intrusive as this is still our home and in the summer, it really is lovely. So something temporary to use when minding would be ideal but what?!?!

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions which they might have used.

EY was saying if we do nothing, I'd have to not register the garden which would be such a shame

Thanks.
    Ellie x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wall problem!

I can see what you mean from the photo.

I have conifers in my garden which Ofsted said the children could get through and "escape". We discussed and compromised on a condition which stated that I had to be in the garden with the children under 5. This was some time again and now you would have to prove outdoor options for all ages.

Sorry no other solution than not to register the garden but maybe others will have.
    Debbie

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Debbie, the thing is, I will absolutely be out in the garden with the children as I am hoping to have one mindee only (plus obviously my own daughter) but would never dream of leaving them in the garden alone. Not a chance. I dont think this will be enough though for Ofsted.

I've had a thought about possibly a temporary bamboo wall which will go up to stop the children going to the wall and climbing but then it kind of defeats the object of feeding the ducks and ducklings like we already do in the summer. I guess we'd have to go to the canal instead or the beck and not be lazy stopping in my garden, lol!

It's such a pain, this is my home!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted cannot tell you what you must do but they can ask how you are going to make it safe. if you have a good answer you will be alright and not leaving them in the garden unattended should be sufficient. it is worth a go.
    Debbie

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm cheers, might say that then and see what she says. Didn't seem a good enough answer yesterday though with Early Years but it wont hurt to say. If it's not sufficient, I will mention the bamboo idea and see what she says. She can only action me for it!

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you get the bamboo fencing that can be rolled up. You'd be able to roll it out and tuck it behind some large stone stoppers on the grass when you have mindees there and put it away at other times.

You'd also be able to roll it back to feed the ducks when you are there to hold on to smaller children.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes possibly SimplyLucy, the bamboo was my idea to hubby last night. I think I'm going to say the idea of never leaving the children unattended first and see what reaction I get from Ofsted. If they aren't impressed by that then I will say the backup idea.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no thats a bummer hun

could you not build the wall up a bit more (not much but enough that young ones cant climb easy onto the wall)

can still feed ducks then too
    To Dare Is To Do

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking probably not or the builders would have surely have done it, plus to do it, it would make the other houses look odd. Plus, I will have to get planning for it due to the conservation area and as others dont have it, will probably get refused. Plus dont think I want to build the wall any higher, it's nice as it is

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear me it is a bit of a dilema, I don't see how the early years team can say that, what about minders who live in flats with balconies I'm sure they are far more dangerous than your wall.

I'm quite sure that if you have a risk assessment and a copule of solutions beginning with the one to cause the least disruption to you and your family then it should be OK. I'm sure that stating that you will always be out there with the children and there will never be more than 2 children per adult in the garden.
    Celest

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do a risk assessment for it to show how aware you are of the danger (and that you'd thought about it) with the "solution" being that you will not leave the children unattended in the garden plus how you will make sure they can't get into the garden by themselves and see what happens when the inspector comes.

Good luck - it looks a lovely view and would be a shame to spoil it

Miffy xx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thinking Celest, will go and do a specific risk assessment now for the garden to show her tomorrow and then an optional solution about the bamboo. Urgh, I hope we dont have to do anything with it really as it really is lovely in the summer!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered having some railings bolted onto your wall top? They wouldn't need to be high (maybe only a foot). I know they would be expensive but they would have the advantage of still being able to see and feed the ducks as well as improving the safety aspect considerably. From the picture it would look like you will also have to consider possible escapees into next doors gardens too as the dividing wall is the same height.
    In my garden I have a low wall (2ft high) dividing the patio from the lawn. The lawn is lower so from the wall top it is a drop of 3.5 ft. I use square planters all along the top to stop the children climbing onto the wall and we grow lots of veg. I would consider this a good idea for the walls adjoining your neighbours (if they're happy) but not for the drop into the stream.
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont like the idea of iron railings. Nothing personal about people who have them but just dont like the look of them. Plus they are a rather permanent fixture we would rather live without. Plus, I dont think the neighbours would be too pleased with us putting them up either. Furthermore, I would have to apply to planning to have them up and will probably find they are refused. Not that I think they are an option anyway.

Hubby mentioned the fact about next doors walls also so think the statement about always being in the garden with the children is really important. Just doing a risk assessment now and allaborating on the action I will take. Hopefully, Ofsted inspector will think this is suitable enough as I dont intend on looking after anymore than 3 children including my own anyway.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I would imagine that Ofsted would be happy with a detailed risk assessment and you saying you will obviously be in attendance and supervising at all times.

I'm sure other people on here will read your message and have the same kind of problems and Ofsted will have agreed to this with the risk assessment in place.

I can't see what else you can do because as you say you can't increase the height of the walls at the end or sides of your garden without it being inconvenient and forcing your neighbours to act on it too.

If you are in attendance the whole time and only have two children you are very much in control of the situation, also obviously teaching them of the dangers and to be careful, ensuring external doors area always locked when indoors, etc. I would have thought that would be fair enough surely?

It all depends on what the inspector you get is like though a lot of the time.

Could you phone Ofsted maybe and make an enquiry about it and see what they say? Or better still e-mail them so you've a copy of the reply? Maybe attach a copy of the risk assessment?

Sorry - not much help am I!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lorri, thanks, your reply was actually a lot of help. Good idea about calling or emailing them but my Ofsted pre-inspection is tomorrow morning. I've been informed by my trainers that my inspector is a bit of a battle-axe too but I dont know what else I could possibly do.

I have really emphasised the action on the garden risks, especially the wall in question. Hopefully this will be enough, if not... time to think of a plan b!

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a think about this and the other option is not to have the garden registered.

This doesn't mean that you can't use the garden it just means you'd treat the garden like you would a visit to the park or playground.

I remember someone at my pre-reg meeting had to do this due to a stream that ran through her garden.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck for tomorrow! As it's your pre-inspection I think the inspector will be really impressed you've given it so much thought and been so pro-active actually.

If it is a problem she will be able to tell you how you could solve it to their satisfaction anyway.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Let us know how it goes.

x

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLucy View Post
    I've had a think about this and the other option is not to have the garden registered.

This doesn't mean that you can't use the garden it just means you'd treat the garden like you would a visit to the park or playground.
    Interesting comment SimplyLucy, I had no idea you could still use the garden even though it isn't registered. Maybe that is an option then but surely it still maintains the same hazards and risks?

Ideally, I would like to have the garden registered though as I plan to do activities (depending on my age group) in the summer.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spangles View Post
    Good luck for tomorrow! As it's your pre-inspection I think the inspector will be really impressed you've given it so much thought and been so pro-active actually.

If it is a problem she will be able to tell you how you could solve it to their satisfaction anyway.

x
    Thanks Spangles, I hope you're right. EY seemed to be impressed yesterday and said I should consider being Quality Assured which was quite a compliment Roll on D-Day... I mean Thurday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast