Ofsted coming next week - it's not even two years since my last inspection!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted coming next week - it's not even two years since my last inspection!

So I got the call today and I'm feeling a bit miffed! Had my last inspection in June 2015 so wasn't expecting one anytime soon! Last time I was graded good - with no actions.
    I've just returned back from maternity leave so I am only just getting back into the swing of things Too 😩

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A CM friend near me was inspected recently, well before she was due. She feared a malicious complaint but was told they were doing a number of random spot checks. I'm amazed they have the resources.

My last inspection was almost a year earlier than I'd been told to expect, even though other CMs locally were inspected late "due to backlogs and staff shortage".

All in all, it's rarely wise to expect Ofsted's actions to make sense.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

People still seem to be thinking along the lines of having an inspection every 3 or 4 years, when it's actually once every inspection cycle. A few local childminders were inspected late in the last cycle and early this cycle, so there hasn't been that long between inspections.

I guess it'll keep us all on our toes knowing we need to be ready at any time, not just 3 or 4 years after our last inspection. It's not even a year since my last one but as I put in a complaint about it, I wouldn't mind betting I'll get another one sooner rather than later!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had mine 2 weeks ago, and my last one was only in Jan 2015, where I was graded Outstanding, so was a bit of a shock!

The inspector told me that it was part of pilot inspections being carried out before it went back in house, as she came out as an 'ofsted' inspector (Ofsted ID) and not prospects or tribal. I retained my outstanding, and she said to relax! I joked that I would normally say for at least 3 years... She replied that as this inspection cycle only started last year (Sept?), and runs until 31st July 2020, then I shouldn't get another until after that now.

I know someone else had one scheduled for the same week, who's last was Nov 2015, but it was postponed. Others I know recently have been between 2 1/2 years - 2yrs 10 months! Friends inspected Nov/Dec 2015 have also been advised to expect inspections this year....

But, if they are planning on pretty much inspecting everyone this year - what are they going to do for the next 3 years????

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post

But, if they are planning on pretty much inspecting everyone this year - what are they going to do for the next 3 years????
    That's what I wondered! They're obviously doing the rounds here as a lot of people have been called. Most of those were inspected less than 2 years ago. I did wonder if Ofsted were particularly targeting inspections from roughly 2 years ago as some sort of quality control effort. But then with Ofsted, who knows

Post Thanks / Like

So newly registered childminder's can wait up to 30 months before they have their first graded inspection but established childminder's, regardless of their grade, are finding themselves being reinspected after 24 months?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me - still this is Ofsted we're talking about!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

7. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    So newly registered childminder's can wait up to 30 months before they have their first graded inspection but established childminder's, regardless of their grade, are finding themselves being reinspected after 24 months?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me - still this is Ofsted we're talking about!

Miffy xx
    Doesn't make much sense to me either. I've been registered 26 months and am waiting for my first inspection and yet Cms around me graded good seem to be taking priority. I would like to get my first inspection out of the way!

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childminder in Kent View Post
    So I got the call today and I'm feeling a bit miffed! Had my last inspection in June 2015 so wasn't expecting one anytime soon! Last time I was graded good - with no actions.
    I've just returned back from maternity leave so I am only just getting back into the swing of things Too 😩
    Same thing has happened to my friend, it's because a new cycle has started so we can be inspected any time within that 3 year cycle (now dreading the call which I wasn't expecting for at least another year )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I had mine 2 weeks ago, and my last one was only in Jan 2015, where I was graded Outstanding, so was a bit of a shock!

The inspector told me that it was part of pilot inspections being carried out before it went back in house, as she came out as an 'ofsted' inspector (Ofsted ID) and not prospects or tribal. I retained my outstanding, and she said to relax! I joked that I would normally say for at least 3 years... She replied that as this inspection cycle only started last year (Sept?), and runs until 31st July 2020, then I shouldn't get another until after that now.

I know someone else had one scheduled for the same week, who's last was Nov 2015, but it was postponed. Others I know recently have been between 2 1/2 years - 2yrs 10 months! Friends inspected Nov/Dec 2015 have also been advised to expect inspections this year....

well done on retaining your outstanding, that's fantastic, what did they look for this time around?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childminder in Kent View Post
    good luck, when are they due to come? I thought they always rang on a friday and came out the following week?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

good luck, when are they due to come? I thought they always rang on a friday and came out the following week?
    My last inspector rang on the Tuesday and wanted to come the next day. I was out though, and then away so then she gave me a selection of dates over the following few weeks that she 'might' come.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    well done on retaining your outstanding, that's fantastic, what did they look for this time around?
    Thanks! 😁

I don't think there was anything in particular she looked for, just asked questions about everything. Usual safeguarding/prevent/British values. Questioned us about the children, where they are now and next steps and why. Watched some activities, free play, stories (in which they all usually sit nicely and listen - but ended up looking like chaos! 🙈 - although she praised me on my handling of 3 kids wanting different stories... 👍&#127996 music time, snacks & lunch. Wanted to know how we worked with other settings too. To me, just general info we all know they're looking at.

I was normal, and just got on with it. She just followed me round, and fired questions, but sometimes I had to ask her again, or stopped answering halfway through if a child wanted me, then said 'what was I saying?' 🙈😂 At one point I stopped talking and said 'excuse me while I just tidy this before they get it everywhere' and got the hoover out! It was just a normal 'organised chaos, fun day' at mine! 😜

My advice, be yourself, she knew I hadn't changed anything as the kids said stuff which showed it was all normal practice, and justify why you do what you do. They're not trying to catch you out, but want you to have a reason for doing/not doing something and not just because 'ofsted' like it, or everyone else is/isn't!

xx