Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Ofsted inspection

Had my Ofsted in May and been meaning to post about what the inspector was looking for etc. Wrote everything down that I remembered after the inspection so here goes........

1. She showed her pass at the door and I took it and checked.

2. I asked her to sign my visitors book in at 8.30am.

3. Can't remember but she either asked who else was present or living in the house, think she mentioned both and
    I told her all family members were out.

4. Told me my SEF was excellent and she would want to see evidence and be here around 3 hours.

5. I introduced the children.

6. She asked to see where my registration cert and parents poster were displayed.

7. I'd already given her all my folders with everything in and the children's folders.

8. In between playing instruments, talking to, singing, reading books, playing in the garden with the children, the
    inspector went through and recorded all my certificates, first aid, safeguarding course, and asked about some of the
    courses I'd been on with my local council. Looked and and recorded the five CRB/DBS checks I had for myself
    and family members.

9. She asked to see my insurance certificate. It was in my folder but she had missed it as the Pacey insurance certs
    are small A5 size.

10. After watching me with an activity, asked how I thought I could extend on the activity.

11. Asked me about starting points and how I collected them.

12. Looked at my policies and when looking at my complaints policy, asked if I'd ever had a complaint.

13. Commented on my nappy changing song I sing when changing children's nappies.

14. How do I prepare food and what snacks do I provide.

15. What mark making items did I have.

16. Asked me about the Prevent duty and what it's about and how I put it into force.

17. Use of mobile phone and camera and how I keep children safe and wanted to see if I had included this in my
    safeguarding policy.

18. Looked at my risk assessments and asked about how, for instance, would I risk assess my living room?

19. Asked if I had completed any 2 year progress checks and who I shared them with - parents, nurseries, health
    visitors. I'd done lots and she said they were very good. Told her that other agencies never
    got back!

20. Asked me about signs of neglect in children and who I would contact. Asked me what I would do if somebody
    made an allegation against a member of my family. I knew the LADO details.

21. What about ICT? She was satisfied with push button toys, toy camera, a Mr Tumble interactive board, a leapfrog
    abc/123 fridge magnet toy on the fridge.

22. Looked at my parent feedback forms with their comments.

I know there were a few other things she asked but hope this helps.

2. Likes Mouse, Maza, sarah707, Dragonfly, Tulip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    Had my Ofsted in May and been meaning to post about what the inspector was looking for etc. Wrote everything down that I remembered after the inspection so here goes........ 1. She showed her pass at the door and I took it and checked. 2. I asked her to sign my visitors book in at 8.30am. 3. Can't remember but she either asked who else was present or living in the house, think she mentioned both and I told her all family members were out. 4. Told me my SEF was excellent and she would want to see evidence and be here around 3 hours. 5. I introduced the children. 6. She asked to see where my registration cert and parents poster were displayed. 7. I'd already given her all my folders with everything in and the children's folders. 8. In between playing instruments, talking to, singing, reading books, playing in the garden with the children, the inspector went through and recorded all my certificates, first aid, safeguarding course, and asked about some of the courses I'd been on with my local council. Looked and and recorded the five CRB/DBS checks I had for myself and family members. 9. She asked to see my insurance certificate. It was in my folder but she had missed it as the Pacey insurance certs are small A5 size. 10. After watching me with an activity, asked how I thought I could extend on the activity. 11. Asked me about starting points and how I collected them. 12. Looked at my policies and when looking at my complaints policy, asked if I'd ever had a complaint. 13. Commented on my nappy changing song I sing when changing children's nappies. 14. How do I prepare food and what snacks do I provide. 15. What mark making items did I have. 16. Asked me about the Prevent duty and what it's about and how I put it into force. 17. Use of mobile phone and camera and how I keep children safe and wanted to see if I had included this in my safeguarding policy. 18. Looked at my risk assessments and asked about how, for instance, would I risk assess my living room? 19. Asked if I had completed any 2 year progress checks and who I shared them with - parents, nurseries, health visitors. I'd done lots and she said they were very good. Told her that other agencies never got back! 20. Asked me about signs of neglect in children and who I would contact. Asked me what I would do if somebody made an allegation against a member of my family. I knew the LADO details. 21. What about ICT? She was satisfied with push button toys, toy camera, a Mr Tumble interactive board, a leapfrog abc/123 fridge magnet toy on the fridge. 22. Looked at my parent feedback forms with their comments. I know there were a few other things she asked but hope this helps.
    That's so useful thanks catswhiskers :-) I take it you got an outstanding? Well done! So helpful to get feedback X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No stone unturned!

Well done and thank you for the feedback. How long did he/she stay at yours?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Had my Ofsted in May and been meaning to post about what the inspector was looking for etc. Wrote everything down that I remembered after the inspection so here goes........ 1. She showed her pass at the door and I took it and checked. 2. I asked her to sign my visitors book in at 8.30am. 3. Can't remember but she either asked who else was present or living in the house, think she mentioned both and I told her all family members were out. 4. Told me my SEF was excellent and she would want to see evidence and be here around 3 hours. 5. I introduced the children. 6. She asked to see where my registration cert and parents poster were displayed. 7. I'd already given her all my folders with everything in and the children's folders. 8. In between playing instruments, talking to, singing, reading books, playing in the garden with the children, the inspector went through and recorded all my certificates, first aid, safeguarding course, and asked about some of the courses I'd been on with my local council. Looked and and recorded the five CRB/DBS checks I had for myself and family members. 9. She asked to see my insurance certificate. It was in my folder but she had missed it as the Pacey insurance certs are small A5 size. 10. After watching me with an activity, asked how I thought I could extend on the activity. 11. Asked me about starting points and how I collected them. 12. Looked at my policies and when looking at my complaints policy, asked if I'd ever had a complaint. 13. Commented on my nappy changing song I sing when changing children's nappies. 14. How do I prepare food and what snacks do I provide. 15. What mark making items did I have. 16. Asked me about the Prevent duty and what it's about and how I put it into force. 17. Use of mobile phone and camera and how I keep children safe and wanted to see if I had included this in my safeguarding policy. 18. Looked at my risk assessments and asked about how, for instance, would I risk assess my living room? 19. Asked if I had completed any 2 year progress checks and who I shared them with - parents, nurseries, health visitors. I'd done lots and she said they were very good. Told her that other agencies never got back! 20. Asked me about signs of neglect in children and who I would contact. Asked me what I would do if somebody made an allegation against a member of my family. I knew the LADO details. 21. What about ICT? She was satisfied with push button toys, toy camera, a Mr Tumble interactive board, a leapfrog abc/123 fridge magnet toy on the fridge. 22. Looked at my parent feedback forms with their comments. I know there were a few other things she asked but hope this helps.
    What ages of children and how many did you have? What was your activity?
    I'm interested to know what the nappy charming song is!! :-)
    My son always shouts "no!" When I start to sing!!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So annoying - I replied to all your questions but went to submit reply and said I wasn't logged on!

Late now and I know I won't be able to go on-line until children have gone tomorrow evening and then have other things to do. Have an extra busy week this week too!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maza, she was with me exactly 3 hours, signing out at 11.30. Was relieved really as my last inspection was 4 hours.

Mumofone, look after 3 children over the week but had a 19 month and a 17 month old on the day. Didn't have an activity as such, just everything that I do anyway, but had a big box of instruments out. Sang the 'I hear thunder, pitter patter raindrops' song while using shakers and rain sticks, used shakers to sing the hi low, hi low, hello song.

Moved on to puppets, nursery rhyme books. I love singing and don't mind leading the singing at a toddler group I run.

The nappy changing song is something I picked up years ago on a holiday to the Isle of Wight with my own three children. The holiday site had a show on for the kids every night with singing and I nicked their "stinky poo" song! Includes a "boo" action. It's always helped when some children can't sit still at nappy change!

Post Thanks / Like

Do they come as early as 8.30, gosh I didn't know that!

What mark making stuff did you have out? Where was it? I know this is one that causes lots of debate usually!

10. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So annoying - I replied to all your questions but went to submit reply and said I wasn't logged on! Late now and I know I won't be able to go on-line until children have gone tomorrow evening and then have other things to do. Have an extra busy week this week too!
    What number comes up when they call you catswhiskers? Did they calm your mobile or landline to make contact? Thank you..

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What number comes up when they call you catswhiskers? Did they calm your mobile or landline to make contact? Thank you..
    This time they phoned my mobile from her mobile as I didn't recognise the number.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    This time they phoned my mobile from her mobile as I didn't recognise the number.
    Thanks ballyh, so it was just a regular mobile number then?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ballyh, so it was just a regular mobile number then?
    Yes, the 11 numbers. During my inspector when chatting my inspector said it can be quite tricky sometimes during inspections as she has to excuse herself to go outside to phone the next people/settings to let them know she's coming to inspect. So mine was her mobile phone. The time before was to my landline and they left a message for me to phone them back.

You still waiting to be done before the end of this month?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Yes, the 11 numbers. During my inspector when chatting my inspector said it can be quite tricky sometimes during inspections as she has to excuse herself to go outside to phone the next people/settings to let them know she's coming to inspect. So mine was her mobile phone. The time before was to my landline and they left a message for me to phone them back. You still waiting to be done before the end of this month?
    Before the end of this month...? I think I'm within 30 months from registering...I registered at the beginning of last year so don't know when it may be, could be soon, could be ages! Argh!!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They have whatever phone numbers you have given to Ofsted and can call any of them. Each inspector works in their own way so may use their own mobile, an office phone or anything they like. There is no way of telling by looking at the phone number used!!

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Before the end of this month...? I think I'm within 30 months from registering...I registered at the beginning of last year so don't know when it may be, could be soon, could be ages! Argh!!
    I registered beginning of last year too and waiting for my first inspection. Any random phone numbers on my phone send me into a panic! Hopefully my own kids will be back at school/pre school when I get inspected. I feel like a much better CM when my kids aren't around!

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Had my first inspection last week- 'the call' quickly snapped me back into term-time mode!
    Although it was hard-work (having someone else in the house for three hours watching you, reading your paperwork and typing is stressful!) it was a positive experience. I think it helped that the inspected sounded nice on the phone and was as nice as she could be on the day.

I was glad I got all the paper work she might want to see ready. I labelled things with post-its so she knew what was what, it also helped me to find a couple of things she missed. I also felt confident knowing it was all there.

She was easy to talk to and made it very clear that talking to her was to come after seeing to the children. When I needed to go and change a nappy upstairs leaving a 4yr old and my 5yr old daughter downstairs (they were happily engaged in an activity and easily within earshot) I explained to the inspector that as stated in my policies I don't leave children alone with visitors and we decided that she would sit on the stairs where I could see her, but she could not see the nappy being changed on the landing.

Once I've got the report back I'll give a longer description of the inspection.

19. Likes Ellisha, BallyH, Maza liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Had my first inspection last week- 'the call' quickly snapped me back into term-time mode!
    Although it was hard-work (having someone else in the house for three hours watching you, reading your paperwork and typing is stressful!) it was a positive experience. I think it helped that the inspected sounded nice on the phone and was as nice as she could be on the day.

I was glad I got all the paper work she might want to see ready. I labelled things with post-its so she knew what was what, it also helped me to find a couple of things she missed. I also felt confident knowing it was all there.

She was easy to talk to and made it very clear that talking to her was to come after seeing to the children. When I needed to go and change a nappy upstairs leaving a 4yr old and my 5yr old daughter downstairs (they were happily engaged in an activity and easily within earshot) I explained to the inspector that as stated in my policies I don't leave children alone with visitors and we decided that she would sit on the stairs where I could see her, but she could not see the nappy being changed on the landing.

Once I've got the report back I'll give a longer description of the inspection.
    Well done Lal. It must be a relief to have it over with. I know in theory I should be fine, but I always feel like I have more to do. It would be good to get your feedback once you get your report. Did you have a SEF? That's my task at the moment - I will feel better once it's done so I can add to it when I need to.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisha View Post
    Well done Lal. It must be a relief to have it over with. I know in theory I should be fine, but I always feel like I have more to do. It would be good to get your feedback once you get your report. Did you have a SEF? That's my task at the moment - I will feel better once it's done so I can add to it when I need to.
    My plan was to spend my quiet days this week and next doing my sef online. So I didn't have an online one. I managed to type up a brief one using the sef questions and put that with my ideas for development (a hand written spider diagram with long term and short term ideas) I've also allocated a child on tapestry to "the Setting" so I printed that out- there were photos of things, links to articles and comments on how I'd used the information, examples of activities and notes about what I'd change.

22. Likes Ellisha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Had my first inspection last week- 'the call' quickly snapped me back into term-time mode! Although it was hard-work (having someone else in the house for three hours watching you, reading your paperwork and typing is stressful!) it was a positive experience. I think it helped that the inspected sounded nice on the phone and was as nice as she could be on the day. I was glad I got all the paper work she might want to see ready. I labelled things with post-its so she knew what was what, it also helped me to find a couple of things she missed. I also felt confident knowing it was all there. She was easy to talk to and made it very clear that talking to her was to come after seeing to the children. When I needed to go and change a nappy upstairs leaving a 4yr old and my 5yr old daughter downstairs (they were happily engaged in an activity and easily within earshot) I explained to the inspector that as stated in my policies I don't leave children alone with visitors and we decided that she would sit on the stairs where I could see her, but she could not see the nappy being changed on the landing. Once I've got the report back I'll give a longer description of the inspection.
    Have you had your report back yet lal? :-) x

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you had your report back yet lal? :-) x
    Yes I have- I'll sit down tomorrow and write some more about it, but in summary the inspector was nice (as nice as she could be), she was there for just over 3hrs (the longest 3hrs ever!!), she was supportive e.g. re-wording a question when I had complete brain freeze, the activity I planned didn't go to plan, the children didn't want snack at the usual snack time and napping wasn't happening!

But, I was awarded Good overall with an Outstanding for "personal development,behaviour and welfare".

25. Likes loocyloo liked this post