Ofsted inspector?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    Absolutely gutted. Just got my report through and it makes me look like I am not fulfilling my job properly. Mentions that I don't work with other settings: nursery. I have a form that I have completed and handed it in this week purely on the basis that said child attended another childminder who completed a transition form for nursery ( I forgot to mention this) . Majority of report keeps referring to must meet requirements of two way flow information with parents and other providers . I do not provide sufficient opportunities for younger children to develop their communication skills and explore their range of early words. Make the most of opportunities offered through other professionals to support children in their learning . Gutted isn't the word. It makes me look incompetent and I really just want to quit now. Contradicts itself. Says I don't support children who have English as a second language - yet then states Attend groups where they mix with other children from a variety of different cultures. This helps them develop social skills and learn about diversity (ok so I don't speak Latvian but child is learning about others) . My weaker knowledge of how to support a child who speaks English as an additional language has a negative impact on some of the childrens onging progress. How can she judge me and come to this conclusion when I sat and played with child for 15 mins in between making lunch, feeding said child and then the rest of inspection the child slept Couldn't feel any lower I am going to argue my case as the wording is not acceptable. I work with parents I send them newsletters, photos, talk to them , text them etc Sorry but I am really feeling low and angry right now..
    You poor thing. Bluechair fought and won to improve her grade so I hope you find the energy and courage to do the same :-) Don't let them get away with it! Good luck xx

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh honey, thinking of you and wishing you all the strength and support you need to get this sorted.

xxx

Simona Guest

Absolutely gutted. Just got my report through and it makes me look like I am not fulfilling my job properly. Mentions that I don't work with other settings: nursery. I have a form that I have completed and handed it in this week purely on the basis that said child attended another childminder who completed a transition form for nursery ( I forgot to mention this) . Majority of report keeps referring to must meet requirements of two way flow information with parents and other providers . I do not provide sufficient opportunities for younger children to develop their communication skills and explore their range of early words. Make the most of opportunities offered through other professionals to support children in their learning . Gutted isn't the word. It makes me look incompetent and I really just want to quit now. Contradicts itself. Says I don't support children who have English as a second language - yet then states Attend groups where they mix with other children from a variety of different cultures. This helps them develop social skills and learn about diversity (ok so I don't speak Latvian but child is learning about others) . My weaker knowledge of how to support a child who speaks English as an additional language has a negative impact on some of the childrens onging progress. How can she judge me and come to this conclusion when I sat and played with child for 15 mins in between making lunch, feeding said child and then the rest of inspection the child slept

Couldn't feel any lower I am going to argue my case as the wording is not acceptable. I work with parents I send them newsletters, photos, talk to them , text them etc Sorry but I am really feeling low and angry right now..
    Get someone to read your report as I suggested before...someone 'detached' who can sieve through the meaning of the report....you may feel very negative at the moment.
    You must identify if the report is 'factual'...that is very important.

Get in touch with your EY team as they will have received notification of your grade and must now support you.
    They will also advice how to raise your complaint if that is what you want to do.
    Have you got the guidance on complaints about Ofsted inspections? Do you belong to Pacey or PLA? They would also help you.

We feel for you and will offer any support you need.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely gutted. Just got my report through and it makes me look like I am not fulfilling my job properly. Mentions that I don't work with other settings: nursery. I have a form that I have completed and handed it in this week purely on the basis that said child attended another childminder who completed a transition form for nursery ( I forgot to mention this) . Majority of report keeps referring to must meet requirements of two way flow information with parents and other providers . I do not provide sufficient opportunities for younger children to develop their communication skills and explore their range of early words. Make the most of opportunities offered through other professionals to support children in their learning . Gutted isn't the word. It makes me look incompetent and I really just want to quit now. Contradicts itself. Says I don't support children who have English as a second language - yet then states Attend groups where they mix with other children from a variety of different cultures. This helps them develop social skills and learn about diversity (ok so I don't speak Latvian but child is learning about others) . My weaker knowledge of how to support a child who speaks English as an additional language has a negative impact on some of the childrens onging progress. How can she judge me and come to this conclusion when I sat and played with child for 15 mins in between making lunch, feeding said child and then the rest of inspection the child slept

Couldn't feel any lower I am going to argue my case as the wording is not acceptable. I work with parents I send them newsletters, photos, talk to them , text them etc Sorry but I am really feeling low and angry right now..
    Wow. Sending you a big hug. Find your voice to get the wording your deserve. Be strong.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default UPDATE!!

Well I left it a day and then re-read my report and although some of it (the strengths were ok) the action and requires improvement really made me look bad. Someone else looked at me and said it doesn't read good and that they contradict themselves in places saying I do not follow such a thing but then say how good I do something ie: 'do not encourage all childrens communication skills effectively (particularly EAL children)' but then states I read enthusiastically to the children , engages them in a positive way they recognise print in the books and join in repeating the words. Childminder talks to children and involves them in thoughtful conversation this helps with their thinking and problem solving. She can't judge communication skills with bilingual child as didn't observe me long enough with them. This is all based on me saying I do not speak childs home language.

Wording not great. Stated that I don't gather enough information when a child starts. Inspector never mentioned this to me just asked how I gathered information to start but didn't say it wasn't enough. I explained that one child came from another cm and no paperwork was passed on to me or parent as no paperwork (LJ) were completed by cm and parent never received any arts or crafts etc that the child did whilst with them. So I have to work on what the parent tells me then devise my own starting point.

Another comment states that by my lack of knowledge on how to support a child who is bilingual has a 'negative' impact on some of the children's ongoing progress( this was established by chatting to me and seeing me interact with child for all of 10-15minutes).

Any way spoke to my EY development officer and sent them a copy of my report and outlined where I feel it is unjustified. They have said that I must be devastated by the report and that if I choose to appeal I should have enough information that I have provided and to get the complaint in quickly.

So yesterday I completed the form. Noted the actions and where I feel it wasn't acceptable and backed this up with evidence etc.

So now it's just a waiting game. My Ey officer explained its unlikely my grade will be overturned but at least I know I haven't just sat back and that I have done something.

I also noted that despite me not agreeing with the action 100% or how it is worded I have proceeded to work on these actions and made the necessary changes.

Will keep you updated as I am updated.

Thank you for all your support and advice xx

6. Likes BallyH, hectors house liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel really mad for you.

Hopefully you can turn your anger into a way of driving you forward.
    So sad to hear about Bluechair...what a loss!

I'm not an Ofsted fan at all...They obviously do a lot of good work to improve schools and settings but equally they can make childminders feel so low and feel like giving up.

Keep going, you have lots of support here. If you were a bad childminder you wouldn't care how you did...but you do care, so that says you are committed to your work.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Well I left it a day and then re-read my report and although some of it (the strengths were ok) the action and requires improvement really made me look bad. Someone else looked at me and said it doesn't read good and that they contradict themselves in places saying I do not follow such a thing but then say how good I do something ie: 'do not encourage all childrens communication skills effectively (particularly EAL children)' but then states I read enthusiastically to the children , engages them in a positive way they recognise print in the books and join in repeating the words. Childminder talks to children and involves them in thoughtful conversation this helps with their thinking and problem solving. She can't judge communication skills with bilingual child as didn't observe me long enough with them. This is all based on me saying I do not speak childs home language.

Wording not great. Stated that I don't gather enough information when a child starts. Inspector never mentioned this to me just asked how I gathered information to start but didn't say it wasn't enough. I explained that one child came from another cm and no paperwork was passed on to me or parent as no paperwork (LJ) were completed by cm and parent never received any arts or crafts etc that the child did whilst with them. So I have to work on what the parent tells me then devise my own starting point.

Another comment states that by my lack of knowledge on how to support a child who is bilingual has a 'negative' impact on some of the children's ongoing progress( this was established by chatting to me and seeing me interact with child for all of 10-15minutes).

Any way spoke to my EY development officer and sent them a copy of my report and outlined where I feel it is unjustified. They have said that I must be devastated by the report and that if I choose to appeal I should have enough information that I have provided and to get the complaint in quickly.

So yesterday I completed the form. Noted the actions and where I feel it wasn't acceptable and backed this up with evidence etc.

So now it's just a waiting game. My Ey officer explained its unlikely my grade will be overturned but at least I know I haven't just sat back and that I have done something.

I also noted that despite me not agreeing with the action 100% or how it is worded I have proceeded to work on these actions and made the necessary changes.

Will keep you updated as I am updated.

Thank you for all your support and advice xx
    Your EY team should not preempt what the complaint Result wil be.
    in the past ...yes...few were upheld but Ofsted have changed their guidance....they are also aware there are still problems with subcontracted inpectors.

I would keep positive and if you can seek help, if you belong to an association, please do so.

We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to send a message of support. And well done for fighting this. I know my confidence would be crushed after an inspection and report like that.

I too have a bilingual child who has come on really well since starting with me, but again there are very few resources in her language. The words I attempt to pronounce are pronounced slightly incorrectly so I imagine I could be doing more harm than good. And her parents would prefer for me to concentrate on her English!

Please keep us updated.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you managed to get the wording changed so it doesn't sound so negative - even though I got the grade I was hoping for I was still disappointed with a sentence in my report, so I e-mailed with a suggestion of how it could be reworded and they did it, so hope they will do this for you too. xx

11. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Hope you managed to get the wording changed so it doesn't sound so negative - even though I got the grade I was hoping for I was still disappointed with a sentence in my report, so I e-mailed with a suggestion of how it could be reworded and they did it, so hope they will do this for you too. xx
    You did well, HH. I've still got that I allow children to throw bricks indoors in mine, even though I asked for the wording to be changed but the individual inspector refused. (Thankfully no parent has ever asked me where I keep the house bricks for throwing, but you just never know!)

LK

(PS: A 2 year old child was throwing single "MegaBloks" into a large cardboard box right next to him, with me standing beside him as well, while he counted fluently to 30 - his way to engage with the box as he had a trajectory schema - which I thought was a lovely demonstration of his learning. This wasn't mentioned, strangely. That was a couple of years ago, though, so hopefully daft things like this have improved.)
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 12-11-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    You did well, HH. I've still got that I allow children to throw bricks indoors in mine, even though I asked for the wording to be changed but the individual inspector refused. (Thankfully no parent has ever asked me where I keep the house bricks for throwing, but you just never know!) LK (PS: A 2 year old child was throwing single "MegaBloks" into a large cardboard box right next to him, with me standing beside him as well, while he counted fluently to 30 - his way to engage with the box as he had a trajectory schema - which I thought was a lovely demonstration of his learning. This wasn't mentioned, strangely. That was a couple of years ago, though, so hopefully daft things like this have improved.)
    Oh my goodness that's awful and seems a completely pointless thing to write in a report. How annoying for you. X

Simona Guest

You did well, HH. I've still got that I allow children to throw bricks indoors in mine, even though I asked for the wording to be changed but the individual inspector refused. (Thankfully no parent has ever asked me where I keep the house bricks for throwing, but you just never know!)

LK

(PS: A 2 year old child was throwing single "MegaBloks" into a large cardboard box right next to him, with me standing beside him as well, while he counted fluently to 30 - his way to engage with the box as he had a trajectory schema - which I thought was a lovely demonstration of his learning. This wasn't mentioned, strangely. That was a couple of years ago, though, so hopefully daft things like this have improved.)
    I don' t think individual Tribal/Prospects inspectors can change words in a report...only Ofsted can do so....at least that is how how understand it.
    It happened to me years ago and Ofsted did change the wording.

We are also talking about appealing against a grade here in this thread.....so wording has to be considered against evidence and hopefully the complaint upheld

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I don' t think individual Tribal/Prospects inspectors can change words in a report...only Ofsted can do so....at least that is how how understand it.
    It happened to me years ago and Ofsted did change the wording.

We are also talking about appealing against a grade here in this thread.....so wording has to be considered against evidence and hopefully the complaint upheld
    Mine was a Tier One complaint/appeal (handled directly by Tribal) and changing wording was something that I had to take up with them as Ofsted told me that the process was for me to go direct to Tribal. At that time (2013), Ofsted would have got involved (I hope) at Tier Two of the complaints process - that is if I still had the energy to complain again having got nowhere despite putting a ton of effort into it and garnering lots of support externally, and from my parents at the time.

I decided not to waste any more energy on complaining again, as I personally found it soul-destroying, and focused instead on the positives (there were some - all around how lovely it is for the children at my setting) in my report. Thankfully my business wasn't affected, and I have lots of happy children and happy parents on my books.

I make sure no-one throws any 'bricks', though!

All the best,

LK
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 12-11-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Simona Guest

Mine was a Tier One complaint (handled directly by Tribal). At that time (2013), Ofsted would have got involved (I hope) at Tier Two of the complaints process - that is if I still had the energy to complain again having got nowhere despite putting a ton of effort into it and garnering lots of support externally, and from my parents at the time.

I decided not to waste any more energy on complaining again, as I personally found it soul-destroying, and focused instead on the positives (there were some - all around how lovely it is for the children at my setting) in my report. Thankfully my business wasn't affected, and I have lots of happy children and happy parents on my books.

I make sure no-one throws any 'bricks', though!

All the best,

LK
    How on earth do we teach children hand-eye co-ordination if we do not allow children to 'throw' things.....quoting your inspector here....into containers and improve their aim?
    Next we wil have to ban throwing a ball so a child can catch it ....this is mad!
    Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    How on earth do we teach children hand-eye co-ordination if we do not allow children to 'throw' things.....quoting your inspector here....into containers and improve their aim?
    Next we wil have to ban throwing a ball so a child can catch it ....this is mad!
    Sorry to hear you had to go through that.
    One of the things in my appeal was a direct quote from the EYFS 2008, where it said that, if a child has a trajectory schema - we should give them something to throw.

(Didn't work though!)

LK

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you x very interested as I too have a new child with eal or should I say lal? As child is spoken to mainly I. English by both parents but also Lithuanian by mum and grandma, mum does not want me speaking Lithuanian to her child she wants him to learn it from those who are fluent.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Thinking of you x very interested as I too have a new child with eal or should I say lal? As child is spoken to mainly I. English by both parents but also Lithuanian by mum and grandma, mum does not want me speaking Lithuanian to her child she wants him to learn it from those who are fluent.
    I've had a child with Hungarian parents before. I covered language for him by lending some of my books to Mum before the child started, and getting her to write the Hungarian word and English word on a post it note on some of the pages. I then used this as a resource.

Say the Hungarian word was 'douck' - and it was pronounced 'duck'. She would write the word the way it was pronounced, and not the actual spelling. This meant that when I said the word, the child would recognise it. I also got Mum to say the words in English and Hungarian to the child, then I did the same. I found that sending the book back and forth in the early weeks, then doing this with other books, helped us a lot.

She also was really good at emailing me his new words, (Hungarian and English) and I did the same to her so that she could give me the Hungarian 'translation'. Then I also gave her a list of key words that he needed to know, such as 'coat', 'drink', 'shoes', 'poo', 'wee-wee', 'sleepy', 'cuddle',' 'milk', etc. to email me the Hungarian word for, and we got on fine for the 2.5 years he was with me. (I did not ever have to show this as evidence at inspection, as he had left by the time of my next inspection - isn't that always the way? The point is, that it helped the child and me, as we both found it hard to find dual language resources, so found a way to make our own. (She also did English with me and Hungarian at home.)

Still, I can understand from your experience why some childminders might be reluctant to take on a child with English as a second language. I said 'No' to one recently, as he was only going to be doing half a day with me, once a week, and I felt that it just wasn't enough time for me to make it work.

It's a small world - I hope you get something sorted - even if it's just a wording change.

BlueBear - I hope it works out well for you.

Good luck both,

LK

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a child with Hungarian parents before. I covered language for him by lending some of my books to Mum before the child started, and getting her to write the Hungarian word and English word on a post it note on some of the pages. I then used this as a resource.

Say the Hungarian word was 'douck' - and it was pronounced 'duck'. She would write the word the way it was pronounced, and not the actual spelling. This meant that when I said the word, the child would recognise it. I also got Mum to say the words in English and Hungarian to the child, then I did the same. I found that sending the book back and forth in the early weeks, then doing this with other books, helped us a lot.

She also was really good at emailing me his new words, (Hungarian and English) and I did the same to her so that she could give me the Hungarian 'translation'. Then I also gave her a list of key words that he needed to know, such as 'coat', 'drink', 'shoes', 'poo', 'wee-wee', 'sleepy', 'cuddle',' 'milk', etc. to email me the Hungarian word for, and we got on fine for the 2.5 years he was with me. (I did not ever have to show this as evidence at inspection, as he had left by the time of my next inspection - isn't that always the way? The point is, that it helped the child and me, as we both found it hard to find dual language resources, so found a way to make our own. (She also did English with me and Hungarian at home.)

Still, I can understand from your experience why some childminders might be reluctant to take on a child with English as a second language. I said 'No' to one recently, as he was only going to be doing half a day with me, once a week, and I felt that it just wasn't enough time for me to make it work.

It's a small world - I hope you get something sorted - even if it's just a wording change.

BlueBear - I hope it works out well for you.

Good luck both,

LK
    Thank you lollipop kid, loads of great idea which I love

21. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Wondering how you are getting on? Have been thinking of you x

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Wondering how you are getting on? Have been thinking of you x

Prospect have spoken to me (yesterday) and looking into my complaint. They advised even if I didn't have a bilingual child if I couldn't provide evidence or explain how I would support a bilingual child I could still get downgraded.!! It is unlikely grade will be amended but the wording might be changed as I said inspector only mentioned nursery and bilingual child nothing else and that the wording to me reads as children in general not bilingual children. I also pointed out report stated I don't communicate with parents properly when children first start this was never mentioned in evaluation. Explained I am not happy. Now it's just a case of them investigating and me waiting to see if they change the wording. What makes it worse is I've just seen my report online,😞 I still feel it contradicts and makes me look bad. There's a section telling parents where I 'fail' and I know for a fact they wouldn't agree with it x keep you updated x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast