Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do i need a visitors book?

Keep getting different answers for this.... Don't have a lot of visitors in working hours but should i have a log?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should log it in some way. I get them to sign into my diary - name, business/reason, time in, time out

3. Likes Cassie liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I use an A4 Diary for my Register and retrospective planning (what we DID rather than what we PLANNED to do). In the back I use 1 page to log Visitors and 1 page to log Fire Drills. hth.

5. Likes Cassie liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No I have never had one. Why do I need a Visitors Book?

This is my home not an institution.

I know exactly who is in my house at any time an no visitors are ever left alone with the children.

Any workmen who might have to come in the visit would be noted in my personal diary.

An un necessary piece of paperwork.

I have now had 4 Osted Inspections, I have never been asked for one and if I had I would have questioned it as we are not required to have one.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 11-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.

7. Likes primula liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    You should log it in some way. I get them to sign into my diary - name, business/reason, time in, time out
    Why? Do you have lots of people in and out of your house who you don't know and don't know where they are? I doubt it.

Institutions like Nurseries have to have them because at any one time there is no way all members of staff could know who is visiting and where they may be. They need to log in in case there was a fire for example or an incident. This is not likely in your own home is it? Surely you answer the door, you invite people to your home so you are in absolute control and know who is where.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have some one who comes regularly ie student I just write them in my pacey register just to one side, nothing formal time in time out just in case of fire but not family who live here.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I make a note in my register of any visitors. I don't sign them in or out. For example I had an electrician here last Monday. I made a note in my diary of the times he was here, but that was it. If there's every any query I can easily see which children were here at the time.

11. Likes rickysmiths, lilac_dragon liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    If I have some one who comes regularly ie student I just write them in my pacey register just to one side, nothing formal time in time out just in case of fire but not family who live here.
    Yes we must note Students or Assistants and the times and days they work accurately, but that is rather different to recording occasional visitors.

Glitter Guest

Like some of the people who have posted I make a note in my diary of any visitors in my house while minding.

One reason we are supposed to do this is in case a child makes an accusation against a visitor. We would need to know what time the visitor had been in our house so we could investigate. Even if we supervise visitors at all times we still need to protect them and ourselves from accusations. I know my memory is not brilliant and if a parent asked if someone had visited my house 3 weeks ago I would not be able to remember which day it was on.

I would rather make a quick note in my diary and know I had a record.

14. Likes dawn100, tulip0803, Mouse, lilac_dragon liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
    Like some of the people who have posted I make a note in my diary of any visitors in my house while minding.

One reason we are supposed to do this is in case a child makes an accusation against a visitor. We would need to know what time the visitor had been in our house so we could investigate. Even if we supervise visitors at all times we still need to protect them and ourselves from accusations. I know my memory is not brilliant and if a parent asked if someone had visited my house 3 weeks ago I would not be able to remember which day it was on.

I would rather make a quick note in my diary and know I had a record.
    Like what she said

16. Likes N/A liked this post