Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted inspection and 6month old

Hi all need an idea for activity for ofsted tomorrow/Friday or Monday, I will only have 1 child and they will be either 6months or 2 years, can someone recommend an activity and tell me why you picked it?

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The advice I'd give is something simple! Something easy to set up and clean up after too. Inspection time is not the time to try new activities because you don't know how they'll go down
    Go with what you know the kids like doing, you know them best, may that be painting, jigsaws, outdoor play etc but don't try too hard or panic, OFSTED will see through this and so will the children and probably play up lol
    If she asks why you chose this activity say you know x likes it and whatever educational value they get from it, like hand eye coordination for little one or knowledge of the world and physical development if you take them outside for a run around
    Good luck xx
    Kelly xx

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did music and signing for mine. Had a box of nursery rhyme puppets and mindee chose what to sing by picking one out. Then playing with instruments. Very simple but showed our communication great and not stressful.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Best stick to something the children are used to doing or they will pick up on the changes.

Good luck!

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had planned to do a music session but with Mrs. O' sat there I just could not sing. My throat constricted all funny.

Trying to eat lunch with the children was hard too as I couldn't swallow. Just kept chewing for ages

I'd have a treasure basket set out for the baby I think. Messy-play is too stressful for an inspection IMO.

For my older children I had set out a tub full of grains and rice and hidden little treasures inside for them to search for. I'd also provided spoons, buckets, beakers etc

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 6 mnth old for my inspection...I did story sack with her fave book, music session , treasure basket....All that said she wasn't well and sat on my lap, cried at her fave book and simply did not take part in any activity...

Mrs O understood she was ill and said we had a very strong bond as she just went to sleep on me....

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an inspection about 5 years ago with 7 month old inspector like it that I had Mozart music on when she arrives. We had a treasure basket also box of different types of bricks stickle, wooden, mega bocks and as baby played I used descriptive words smooth, bumpy/prickly.
    As said before keep to what is known
    good luck
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Simona Guest

My understanding is that the inspector will ask you to feedback on the activity you have chosen, why you did so, what it means for the child's learning, where is it taking that child in his learning....it is like a 'joint observation'
    I would do what you normally do and not just choose one because of the inspection.....do not change your routine as that will confuse you and the child
    Follow the child's interests and when you do the feedback with the inspector you can link it to the child's' formative assessment and show the inspector
    I would do an activity that the 2 year old likes, is interested in, shows his concentration and use it to observe his learning and evidence his progress...for the baby it is totally different

If you read the Ofsted document on how inspectors judge our setting/ teaching/how children learn this will make it clearer