Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mrs O and confidentiality

I have just registered so haven't had a graded inspection yet. I just wondered this.. I'm assuming they want to see a child's observations, planning and evidence of on-going assessment. Is it okay then to get out the child's learning journey which has the observations etc in as it will have the child's name on it/date of birth etc. What's the 'procedure' for this? Or is it a case of obtaining permission beforehand so that this can be shown? Thanks in advance

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Ofsted can and do look at LJs. Ofsted can look at any of your developmental records with regard to the children in your care.

They do not have any right to look at Contracts or any Accounts or financial information but they may ask to see proof that you are registered with HMRC.

They only reason they may ask to look at and some people show them Contracts is that they need to know that you have the address of the child and emergency contact details.

I have always used the Pacey (NCMA) Attendance Register and in the front there are two sections. One to put the child's name, dob, and the hours/days they are with you and then there is a space to fill in their leaving date when they leave you. The second is divided into sections for age groups. 0-1, 1-4, 5-8.
    In this section you put the child's name, address, dob, GP with phone numbers and I put the Emergency contact phone numbers. Doing this shows you have all the required info in one place, Ofsted can clearly see how many children you are caring for and what ages they are.

There is then a page a month per child to record the hours they are with you and you and the parent sign this every week. It is not a requirement to sign a register however I always have for Safeguarding reasons so the parent has confirmed the times their child is with me. Two years ago after 17 years of childminding it proved that I had do the right thing when an allegation was made by a parent and I was able to copy the Register page which she had signed and sent it to Ofsted, proving therefore that the parent had lied to Ofsted and the Complaint was not upheld. So it may feel a chore but as I have always done it may parents know they have to sign and they often ask me at the end of the week. It of course protects them as well.

Doing this means Ofsted don't need to see any of my Contracts.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just put it in my Observations permission form. I don't know if this is a requirement but it seemed a good way to let parents know that Ofsted might look at LJs and Observations.