New inspection  tips from this week ( 12 June 13)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time to share this :-)

Cathy

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and thank you for such detailed feedback

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing this and taking the time to tell us all about your inspection, it sounds like you really do deserve your outstanding. Well done :-)

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your outstanding, I'm getting ready for my next inspection and have heard that Ofsted is in my area, I am always looking out for new paperwork and systems that will work for me.
    Sandy
    xx

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your post. That was really informative. Thanks. And congrats on your outstanding

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback and I look forward to your paper work . Well done on your result
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for sharing, it is so useful that the experianced childminders are helping the newer childminders by sharing tried and tested methods

thank you
    Sarah

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loads of people have written pms asking for these forms by email and I am sending them but some are bouncing back so check your email for typos etc. Also some of you have full inboxes on the forum so don't think I'm ignoring you but they bounce back too!
    Meanwhile I hope Richard will kindly upload them to free resources too; I have written reminding him just now.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jadavi;1263672]Loads of people have written pms asking for these forms by email and I am sending them but some are bouncing back so check your email for typos etc. Also some of you have full inboxes on the forum so don't think I'm ignoring you but they bounce back too!

Do you know if they have been uploaded yet? I would be really interested to see them

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind offer to help us all. Please let us know when they are uploaded to the free resources

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It transpires that the forms are owned by childminding matters who will be showing them on their website from mid August.
    However I am permitted to discuss them by email if people want to pm me their addresses.
    The daily schedule was my idea and hopefully Richard can post it in free resources the right way up (I scanned it upside down - whoops)
    It's not rocket science - just a timetable of your typical day schedule to hang on the wall. She just happened to really like it. As I am largely unstructured in approach going very free flow with children's development as far as what resources I put out, i felt it was important to show that my day actually does have a balance to it.
    I'm happy to email people so feel free to pm

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your e-mail, I will look at your forms later and work out how to incorporate them into what I do know.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done I cant wait to see your forms. will pm you thanks as we need to understand what Mrs O wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Hi,

This thread's a repeat of one that I wrote in answer to another earlier this week but i thought I should give it its own thread as its turned into my inspection feedback from my recent one this week! What I've done here is to say what I do and how it seems to have worked on two separate inspections.

All the forms I refer to were at the recomm of my DO this month and were met with high approval by the inspector. I am in the process of trying to submit them all to the forum free resources box. (can anyone help? Cant see where you upload it on the box!) These forms are headed:
    Long term planning: continuous provision
    Individual planning
    Learning and development tracker
    Schedule of the day (my own form which she liked too and is hanging on my wall)
    Basically when you have a free flow provision (like mine) with little structure, other than us choosing which resources or activities are on offer each day, you need to be able to really show the Ofsted inspector that you have planned well and have an organisational scheme in mind - these forms do that with minimal paperwork (in my opinion)

Right here is my feedback-
    The number one thing they look for is your good engagement with and knowledge about the children so I would choose really simple activities on the day that you feel very comfortable with that the children love and you can focus on them in the child led activities. Don't do anything new in case it backfires . She will ask you how what are are doing with each child is supporting his learning . Be genuine and don't feel you have to use long words!
    Refer to the seven learning and development areas and effective characteristics of the child if you can in your answer... Ie 'she loves putting things inside things and carrying them around so I have put out bags tins and boxes with little objects to collect.'
    With another.. 'we are playing in her role playing small world game which she is in charge of and I am supporting. This is her favourite activity and seems to be her chosen way of learning and developing these days. She chatters a lot and answers my questions in her game. She creates difficulties for the characters in her game and helps them sort it out.'
    My assistants are young girls who don't know the jargon but are in the loop with understanding the kids and the inspector was impressed with their simple answers and their understanding of how it was bringing on the children in their learning.

Basically we had an elaborate interactive adult led activity worked out to show Mrs O but when she arrived the kids were engaged in free choice activities. I said to Mrs O 'we may as well follow their lead as they are all engrossed right now - is it OK to hold the planned activity till later? This is how we usually do it'. She said fine.
    We did get on to the planned activity later which worked well but went an unexpected direction we hadn't planned but we went with it at their initiative and she liked that too. This seems to be absolutely key. Mindees having control and power over their learning and you providing support and resources. They really really do not like you to be too teacher-y.

The second thing is good paperwork.but it can be short - so long as it is relevant.
    Make sure you have like a page long 'All about me' description of the child's starting points that you have stuck in the learning journey. I do it from the child's perspective to make it interesting. Mine is an a4 page in paragraphs and covers most of the areas except irrelevant ones (ie no language or maths if its a really young baby) I don't personally specify or name the L and D areas as I think its boring, intimidating and too academic for parents. Instead I say for example: 'I am learning a few words and can already say xxxx. I like banging things and pressing buttons and operating toys. I am friendly to everyone and sometimes go up to other children and give them things. ' I can share an example page if anyone wants.

Transitions and communication with nurseries and schools and home is a big one. Tell them how you settle kids in with you, how you try to keep in touch with other settings even if the settings don't respond , how you keep in touch with parents. Make it clear how well you report back to parents - only my babies need daily diaries re nappies feeds etc - all the others have verbal catch ups but they all had the choice.
    Have parents write a quick feedback form:
    (ie Are you happy with the care xxx provides? Were you happy with the settling in process? Do you feel involved in and informed about his progress at my setting? Is there any way you feel we could improve on our care? Kind of thing - one page only.) They want recent ones. Even mine from 6 months ago were not of interest to her.

Make sure you have an individual plan for each child (page long) in your planning file or stuck in your learning journey (this plan is good for six weeks) with seven boxes filled in and include a line or two about effective characteristics of learning and unique child. I'll try and upload the one I used which she liked a lot. (Called: Individual Plan)
    By the way she only looks at all the paperwork for the child /ren you have on that day. If like me you have some idea when she's coming from her phone call you may be able to make sure those particular children's areas of paperwork are looking good.

I don't do group planning and it wasn't missed or mentioned this week on my inspection. The trouble with group planning (imo) is that often children are sort of coerced into doing something they'd prefer not to.... (this isn't to say its not on offer to groups)

Finally whatever system you are using to record evidence and next steps be ready to explain it - soo believe in it and choose one you like. Mine is just a tracker like the sort Sarah has put in resources here - each area dated when evidence is there. again one page every six weeks. I use 2simple observations (phone app) which include the drop down menu development matters and stick them in the LJ. She loved these 2Simple print outs for the detail . (My d o took this away to share too) I also include fun photos with captions for a scrap book look to the LJ.
    I call it XXX's Special Book with Ja xxx' (me) not Learning Journey which always sounded a bit poncy to be honest|!

As I do mainly continual provision and free choice I have written 6 sheets showing how it covers the areas and my resources:
    'A space to explore, use my imagination and develop my physical skills'
    A space to develop speech and communication skills'
    'A space to develop mark making and play writing' etc etc
    However you want to divide it. I can share mine if you like. (plan to upload it at request)
    I display these in my setting to share with parents. She loved sharing all this stuff and not having it in files.

By the way, The continuous provision sheets, the tracker, and the individual child's planner sheet - I only introduced three weeks ago and filled them all in retrospectively for each child. This was because my d o said she had got them from Ofsted and they were recommended. I also used them because I liked them and they were very concise. I like concise!

Prior to this I did my own system in a daily a4 diary but decided to change to this system. I now use my A4 diary only for a quick plan of the day often filled in after the day's end - (visits, which extra resources used - ie parachute. ) and notes about very informal obs with next steps ideas and finally any general day to day comments from parents.
    Three columns: communication with parents and settings / what happened in the day/ possible next steps ideas but all brief and informal..( She liked this as it showed I was in touch with parents daily and also showed my reflective work on a daily basis) I use the weekend pages for my action plan and self evaluation thoughts.(ten points in bullets - short)

I don't do themes at all except festivals and celebrations and even then won't do it if it is of no interest or relevance to the child. I told her and she agreed. I did however have a list of these up on the wall with dates and odd notes.

Do your self evaluation form for Ofsted on Gateway when they ask. Try and give yourself at least good for each category and believe it and describe it in writing. This is not the time for our cultural modesty! Put outstanding if you think you may be. I felt embarrassed putting outstanding for each category this year and last year when i did it but I decided to as I couldn't honestly think how to improve each area.
    Needn't be long.

As mentioned already, have an ongoing action plan in a diary and include evaluation of your practise
    Points on here could be: change library books, research more sensory resources for xxx, put out posting toys for cxxx , get more arts and crafts ideas for xxxx) think about how to stimulate xxx for mark making....
    Call it 'action plan and self evaluation on the heading'!! Again not more than a page - maybe ten points .
    I often have this in my head and don't write it down. When I knew an inspection was looming I went back and filled in the weekend pages in retrospect.... sadly a lot of Ofsted stuff is geared for them to see but that's the only way they can assess it - by what you write and say.

I have cut my paperwork down hugely and she was very happy with it. I cannot believe I have finally found a brief method that I also like which is acceptable!

Then be prepared to discuss Safeguarding.
    Written permissions for emergency medical care etc and all the permissions and my first aid kit were looked at .
    Wash kids hands before a meal.
    Change the nappies on the floor. dispose of nappies hygienically and pref take them out. (but we have a large sealed bin)

Try not to let nerves make you clam up. Concentrate all you can on the children and interrupt her talking to you all the time if they need you. Put them before her - she will respect that!

Other people may use totally different approaches and paperwork. Everyone says to do what works for you. Please pm me or write on here what you are doing if you'd like reassurance or help.

What I have done to good effect on my two inspections (both outstanding) were to tell her stuff almost before she asked. Show off what you have, what you know you do well, what you are proud of. Ie Start talking about transitions and partnerships and settling in and next steps etc etc etc before she does. Use then right educational words if you can but don't worry if you don't as long as you say what you mean.

I am quite bold and confident so I yabber away non stop to her when I'm not talking to the kids . It must be much harder for a shy person but if this is the case I''d advise- just believe that you are doing a really good job and focus in your mind on how much you are enjoying working with the child, and why you chose this career - believe in yourself and be yourself and be genuine. Try and let your paperwork show your organisation.

Please feel free to pm me about anything at all. I have pledged to support people on here as I have been so helped and felt just like you at first. Terrified. I hate that Ofsted have this culture of intimidation and am determined to fight it. I cannot believe I have pulled off outstanding twice now since I started two years ago (this second time followed a complaint based on a miscommunication) so I must be doing something right but was probably lucky with the inspector too. Also there is no way in hell I'd have got anywhere close to it without this forum as I have hardly any local support.
    xx
    Fantastic feedback, and also very useful. I have my first inspection this week or next week! Have written my SEF (except the last part) and have actually started to use all of the sheets you have just mentioned. I have had a couple of meetings with my development officer recently who introduced me to them! Hopefully my inspector will like them too

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Great - maybe we are in the same area?

If they are exactly the same forms the inspector should be fine with them

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have cleared my inbox so do try again if you couldn't get through before. Happy to discuss the forms with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback - very useful.

Congratulations again on your brilliant result

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

well done thank you for sharing-would love to see your paperwork as im continually looking to simplify mine.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looby please pm me your email address. I am not permitted to put them up on here.

I have started another thread called : Titles for long term continuous provision where I list my suggested headings for the boxes on the form and have just posted a detailed example of one filled in. The idea is that you cover all the eyfs areas - listing your relevant resources and how they are justified in each section.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ive found your thread very helpful and was wondering if it would be possible to get copies of the forms you tried to upload.
    Thankyou cassie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast