Inspection today - Got Good with Lots of Outstanding Points: here's what came up
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection today - Got Good with Lots of Outstanding Points: here's what came up

Hello all,

I promised to post an update once my inspection had happened, so here goes:

Firstly, I had the same inspector that I had last time round, so I was really nervous, as last time I accidentally knocked a cup of tea into her laptop just after she'd given me a satisfactory grade. Total accident (her cup was in front of the cupboard where I keep my nappy cream, with laptop below - accident waiting to happen, really!)

Anyway, she came and was absolutely lovely. It was quite nice that she had done my last inspection, as she could see first hand how much effort I had put in since last time round. (I didn't make her a cup of tea this time, though! I was so nervous that I forgot completely, and feel quite bad, now.)

Anyway, the little boy (age 26 months) that I had with me was an absolute angel (he usually is). Once the nerves were out of the way, I just relaxed and got on with interacting with my mindee, and we had a great time in the garden looking at icicles, and playing in what's left of the snow with a toy lawnmower, while the inspector sat with her back to us at her laptop. I didn't think she would have been able to pick up on anything we were doing, but she did, so that was great.

She asked to see what resources I have for showing different cultures - e.g. wok, chopsticks (I have both and the chopsticks are child-friendly ones, so big tick there); map and images of other cultures - I got mine from a Google search of "Indian culture for kids"; "African culture for kids"; and "Mexican culture for kids" last night: (only print the first page if you use these). I just stuck the whole A4 page onto the relevant side of my map and that was great. I put a globe on a low table that you can fly (bit of ICT), so it may have helped.

I was also able to show images that counter gender stereotyping - I used "Cops and Robbers", as it shows a female policewoman. Then I showed her a little book called "Building Site", which shows a female joiner and painter. So that ticked those boxes.

She also liked the fact that I have a book about washing hands; and one called "I can flush" to help with toilet training.

Towards the end of my inspection, she asked if I had any resources to show positive images of disability. I couldn't honestly think of any, so I said No - then 5 minutes after she left, I found a book on my shelf called "Hospital - Talking it through", which might have been perfect as it shows lots of ill children in a very positive way. (E.g. a little boy who is recovering after having Chemotherapy, who is looking forward to going home soon as he's feeling much better.) I did have a book about the Paralympics, but tidied that away ages ago - doh! - so couldn't put my hands on it when I needed it.

Another improvement point was to include information about activities using paint or dough for mark-making. The little boy I have can't be persuaded to go to the craft table at playgroup. I have one photo of him sticking and getting messy, but I couldn't find it. I'm putting these on here just in case anyone else has an inspection coming up so they don't get caught out with these ones!

She read the two year review that I've done for my mindee, and she said that she really felt that she knew him from reading it, so that was brilliant. She also loved the fact that I had references from parents (thanks to all at the forum for suggesting this!); questionnaires from parents plus a well-maintained attendance register (all parent signatures present and correct). She also said that she would be shocked if I don't get Outstanding at my next inspection, as I'm so close to it now - but I'm happy with Good and can't wait to see the report now.

I told my parents and they were all really pleased.

Thanks for reading - hope my experience helps. I had thought of everything apart from the "Politically Correct" stuff (I've always been a bit rubbish at that), so if your inspection is coming up, have something up your sleeves for these bits.

Now very relieved that I can change my "Satisfactory" to "Good"

L

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done you

And even more so for taking the time to share all this with us, thank you, it is really helpful.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well done and thanks for your feedback!

now get your inspection grade changed at the side...

wibble the pleased! x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done, thanks for the feedback. I had mine last week and got good as well which I'm happy with!

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgot to say: ...

Hi, I forgot to add that I also have 4 reception-age children on my roll. I had done loads of EYFS stuff on them (profiles, working closely with the school, etc.), but she didn't want to see any of this stuff. She was only interested in the Early Years child I have.

So thought I'd flag this as a pointer if you also have a few reception-age children on roll, as I did lots of work which, although I enjoyed doing it, it didn't count at the inspection.

All the best,

L

6. Likes Rick liked this post
    Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your very positive inspection result.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, fab feed back really useful and well done

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and thanks for the feedback - can I ask where you got your children friendly chopsticks from please? My daughter has some plastic ones that are joined at the top, but when we tried to eat noodles with them for chinese new year they just snapped! Thanks for sharing where you got your pictures of different cultures from, will have a look.

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news, well done and good tips for my over due inspection

Allie

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well down. sounds like you have worked really hard to get your good

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and thanks for the feedback

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! Hope you can relax a bit now!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done you. Love reading feedback from everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child-friendly Chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Well done and thanks for the feedback - can I ask where you got your children friendly chopsticks from please? My daughter has some plastic ones that are joined at the top, but when we tried to eat noodles with them for chinese new year they just snapped! Thanks for sharing where you got your pictures of different cultures from, will have a look.
    Hello again. I got them from Aldi. They are plastic and joined at the top as well, but I've found them quite robust. There are 6 in the box: "Easy Chopsticks" (Asia Specialities)
    The box is decorated with Chinese culture symbols - i.e. words, dragon, plate of noodles with chopsticks, and a close-up of a temple Goddess. Look out for the Aldi specials - they did these around the time of Chinese New Year.

All the best,

L

21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A big well done lolipop kid, thank you for the tips too, they are very much appreciated :-)

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done!! Thanks for all the feedback info, it really helps.
    I think I might be looking on Amazon for your books, I have one called 'Man's work' which is role reversal with Dad doing all the cooking, cleaning etc. I want to get some more and your sound nice.
    Thanks again.

apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and thanks for the great feedback. Feet up now and relax

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like