Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Numbers

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Numbers

Hi all I want someone to settle an argument between my friend and I.
    I am under the understanding that the maximum number of children I can care for is 6 children under the age of 8 of which no more than 3 can be in the early years age group. my friend however has a 17mth old baby and her certificate says she can mind 5 children 3 of which can be in the early years age group. I thought it should read 2 because of her son. so she rang Ofsted and asked because she had the opportunity to take on a extra child taking the total children in her care to 4 under 5's including her son Ofsted agreed that her certificate said she could mind 3 children plus her son so that was fine. I questioned this as I said how can that be I have turned down work because if would take me to over 4 under 5's and so I called Ofsted to say well I want the same numbers was mine wrong to which they replied no. you cannot have 4 under 5's unless you have a variation!!! so my friend called back to double check and they said she was fine to carry on and that different minders are allowed numbers taking into consideration her house size etc(mine is bigger) so confused it does not seem fair has anyone heard of this I thought the numbers were set for all am I wrong

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that does not sound right to me. In fact I know of someone who had exactly the same as your friend, questioned it, rang to check - they said yes, then when she had the inspection she nearly got satisfactory for overminding.

i'd suggest she rings and asks to speak to an inspector to check
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    that does not sound right to me. In fact I know of someone who had exactly the same as your friend, questioned it, rang to check - they said yes, then when she had the inspection she nearly got satisfactory for overminding.

i'd suggest she rings and asks to speak to an inspector to check
    The thing is she has questioned it twice and has got the guys name and ref should anything come of it.
    I personally think its wrong and that when she has her inspection in june they will pull her up on it. I have never heard of anyone being able to care for 4 under 5's without a variation in place

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Debster View Post
    The thing is she has questioned it twice and has got the guys name and ref should anything come of it.
    I personally think its wrong and that when she has her inspection in june they will pull her up on it. I have never heard of anyone being able to care for 4 under 5's without a variation in place
    i would get her to e-mail then. get the answer in writing so she can produce it at her inspection but I still think its wrong.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i would get her to e-mail then. get the answer in writing so she can produce it at her inspection but I still think its wrong.
    I would want this in writing if I was your friend because I agree with Juggler, I think it's wrong too.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If i was your friend I would want this in writing too - its not correct as per the current eyfs.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask to speak to the inspection team, not take the word of the person on the phone. They are just call operators and don't always know what they are talking about. If they have looked at her certificate and seen that it says she can have 4 children, they will be telling her that's right. It means she's right as far as her certificate is concerned, but doesn't mean it's right as far as the rules are concerned - does that nmake sense?

She needs to get them to look back at her origional registration documents and check they are all right.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ratios

Hi

Just to let you know that the plan is with the revised eyfs that from September we will have new certificates and that as long as it is for a sibling or continuity of childcare we will be allowed to have 4 in the ey age bracket without having to apply for a variation with Ofsted. It will be down to us to have completed relevent RA as froof to Ofsted should they visit. I am guessing that we will just need to notify Ofsted that we are going up to 4 chldren so it is logged on their system. This is so that it reduces the amount of paperwork with Ofsted and that the onus will be on us to proove that we can manage with 4 children in the EY age bracket in certain situations.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debhemsley View Post
    Hi

Just to let you know that the plan is with the revised eyfs that from September we will have new certificates and that as long as it is for a sibling or continuity of childcare we will be allowed to have 4 in the ey age bracket without having to apply for a variation with Ofsted. It will be down to us to have completed relevent RA as froof to Ofsted should they visit. I am guessing that we will just need to notify Ofsted that we are going up to 4 chldren so it is logged on their system. This is so that it reduces the amount of paperwork with Ofsted and that the onus will be on us to proove that we can manage with 4 children in the EY age bracket in certain situations.
    I like that idea I often have children who want to do extra days or longer hrs and have to ask my assistant to work, as its usually only for a day or so a variation is far to much hassle just these odd days!

Has anyone else heard this?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I read it too. It applies to 4&5 year olds in full time school. From what I can make out, you can have the child on sch holidays or inset days, before &after sch without a formal variation.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shar View Post
    Yes, I read it too. It applies to 4&5 year olds in full time school. From what I can make out, you can have the child on sch holidays or inset days, before &after sch without a formal variation.
    But we can do that anyway with 4/5yr olds!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am registered for 5 children under 8 but not more than 3 in early years. My daughter who is 4 takes up my 6th place but as she is in school she isnt counted in the under 5's.

I was told by ofsted the other week that from september my certificate will just say 5 children under 8. It will be my decision on what ages I have and I will need to prove by risk assessments etc that i am capable of looking after whatever ages they are