If my husband has our children can I have three under fives?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jumpinjen Guest

Default If my husband has our children can I have three under fives?

Hi everyone, not sure how to explain this but my husband's shift pattern runs over the weekend so in the week he is here all the time - I was wondering if he has our children, can I work to having three under fives at times without including our children? Does it affect my certificate? I hope I've explained that properly! Say for example if I wanted to take on a child that was under one and our son is still under one, would I be able to if my husband was responsible for our son and we all went out together if we went out anywhere? Or is this a bit of a no no?

Thanks, Jen x

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

not 100% sure but I am guess not as you are classed as the "main career" for your son.

My cert says I can have 2 in EY (3 including my own son) so if DH took my son away for a week I would still only be allowed 2 as that is what my cert says.

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    not 100% sure but I am guess not as you are classed as the "main career" for your son.

My cert says I can have 2 in EY (3 including my own son) so if DH took my son away for a week I would still only be allowed 2 as that is what my cert says.
    Thanks for replying

Don't take this the wrong way but is that written out on the certificate that I am his main carer or in the EYFS somewhere? I didn't know that I would be classed as that as we are co-carers of him when we are both at home!

Jen x

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

What does your certifcate read? If your son is under one does it saying something along of the line of...

May care for no more than 2 under 5, none of which may be under one? Whatever it states on your certificate is what you must go by. You would be classed as the main career because you are the one who will look after your son when DH is at work.

When DH is home he does DS's school run and things with our own children to help but not with the others, also when he is home that does not affect my certificate.

You best thing to do is to call Ofsted and get some proper advice though, I am just making an educated guess from what I have heard and read before xxx

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your husband was your assistant and ofted increased your numbers by 3 in the early years then you could.you must work to what it says on your cert.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jen,

Ofsted always count you own children even when dh's are looking after them, the way I got around it was to register dh as my assisstant (he also did 1st aid) and increased my numbers so now he will sometimes take our 2 out and i will have 3 mindees or we all go out together. hth

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

my dh is registered as my assistant and i can have 2 under 1's (inc our own) and 5 in the easly years group in total not including my ds. so yes you could if he is your assistant - my hub didn't do his 1st aid either.
    Blessed Be!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpots View Post
    Hi Jen,

Ofsted always count you own children even when dh's are looking after them, the way I got around it was to register dh as my assisstant (he also did 1st aid) and increased my numbers so now he will sometimes take our 2 out and i will have 3 mindees or we all go out together. hth
    I was going to say the same but if he was only going to have your children or not be in sole charge of others he wouldn't need his first aid cert.
    Debbie

jumpinjen Guest

OK, so how do I register him as my assistant? Does he have to do certificates in first aid etc and be quizzed by Ofsted when they come? Only asking really cos I have someone on real need, been let down and only want a few hours two days a week variable and want to help her as she needs it NOW and trying to find a way around it so i can!

Jen x

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Ofsted and they can email you the forms you need. Explain you want to register him to increase your numbers, but there is no guarantee it will give you the increase... likely but not guaranteed

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, My dh is registered as my assistant, he hasnt done first aid training, yet.. but my certificate shows the change in my numbers if he is present. x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

jumpinjen Guest

Thanks Emma and Tink, I just rang Ofsted and they have e-mailed me a variation form for the two under ones that I need soon, and have added hubby to my certificate as an assistant as they hold his CRB already, but the man seemed a bit confused and said I couldn't have increased numbers until my hubby had first aid - is this the case? or can I ask for four under fives before he as done it as long as I am always supervising him (he he!)

This is getting waaaay too complicated for me and my brain hurts - it's all to have a baby for twelve hours a week cos I'm a sucker for a sob story!

Must be mad! Jen x

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjen View Post
    Thanks Emma and Tink, I just rang Ofsted and they have e-mailed me a variation form for the two under ones that I need soon, and have added hubby to my certificate as an assistant as they hold his CRB already, but the man seemed a bit confused and said I couldn't have increased numbers until my hubby had first aid - is this the case? or can I ask for four under fives before he as done it as long as I am always supervising him (he he!)

This is getting waaaay too complicated for me and my brain hurts - it's all to have a baby for twelve hours a week cos I'm a sucker for a sob story!

Must be mad! Jen x
    Im not really sure myself now!

My hubby has had crb and is named as my assistant, he hasnt done first aid but is going to.

This is what it says on my registration certificate....When working with an assistant, may care for no more than 8 under 8 yrs, of these no more that 4 may be in the early years age group, and of these no more than 2 may be under 1 at any one time. It also says... The registered person may leave an assistant alone for short periods of time providing the the arrangements are agreed and confirmed in writing by parents and the requirements of the early years foundation stage and the childcare register continue to be met. Hoope that helps Jen x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't have to have a crb unless he is in sole charge
    Debbie

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    He doesn't have to have a crb unless he is in sole charge
    I thought anyone living in your home over the age of 16 or anyone who will be spending more than X amount of weeks needs a CRB?

I thought it was that they don't need a first aid cert if they will not left alone?

jumpinjen Guest

Thanks for that - I will wait for my new certificate and see what it says then speak to them again, cos if it says 2 under one with him working with me then I won't need a separate variation for two under ones so won't have to grapple with the paperwork for that - going to my in-laws for Easter and will wait for new certificate and see how land lies then! Thanks so much!

Jen x