Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ofsted Publishing our Address Web Site

I have just got a letter from Ofsed proposing to put my full address and telephone number on the web site along side my report. They say this will aid the parents search and they then won't have to go to FIS.

Our FIS don't put our full addresses on their information, they put the area and our phone number and email if we give consent for this which most people do seem to now. But not full postal address.

Am I being over protective? I have never put my full address on any advertising because I work alone in my home with other peoples children.

On a very basic Child protection point of view to put my full name and address on Ofsteds web site could put me and the children in danger. Also I don't want people trolling up and knocking on my door asking about childcare especially during the working day when I don't know them and am not expecting them.

I also find that where I live can put people off, we are at the top of a hill on an old council estate, we bought an ex council house 8 years ago. It makes all the difference if you can speak to a parent first. I also get the parents full address and phone details prior to a visit and it is better if you have been able to introduce yourselves over the phone at least. I'm sure most will phone before coming but you are bound to get some who turn up on the doorstep.

It is different for Day Nurseries and pre schools. They are not working in their own homes rather a building that is closed at night and no one lives there. They have other members of staff on hand which most of us don't.

For those of you who do give your consent for your full address to be published how will you then have control over it and how and where it is used by Ofsted or similar in the future?

Needless to say I will not be giving permission for this to be published.

I have just spoken to Ofsted and no one will speak on the phone about it we have to email or write with any concerns.

Please tell me I'm not the only one concerned about this move?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

No way! I won't allow them to do that either. I'm in a remote area and most of my neighbours are out all day. If any weirdos turned up then I'd have no-one around me .
    It's my home address. Why should parents be bothered in knowing where you live. It's what you can offer which is important.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    No way! I won't allow them to do that either. I'm in a remote area and most of my neighbours are out all day. If any weirdos turned up then I'd have no-one around me .
    It's my home address. Why should parents be bothered in knowing where you live. It's what you can offer which is important.
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one

What we must do is make sure we all write or email our shock.

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, just opened my letter, had to look at it a few times, to make sure it wasnt a wind up. Wonder how many will give consent
    Helen xXx

Post Thanks / Like

I wont !!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Absolutely ridiculous! Who dreamed up this barmy idea then?

Do they have any consideration whatsoever for our safety and the safety of children or is that just lip service during inspections?

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying we can opt out? I really hope so.

I was recently a victim of a scam and had to give a statement to the police in which I stated my occupation.

I had said I'd give evidence in court if needed but asked if they could keep my occupation out, but the policeman couldn't guarentee it.

I was worried that if the crook and her family/friends found out what I did they could get my number from the FIS and harrass me by phone, I also rang the FIS to check if my address got sent out on the paper lists to enquirers.

I'd hate not to be able to do my civic duty because I have my family and other people's children's safety to put first.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i've just had my letter with my fee renewal form in it, but no mention of putting addresses on website.

Blue Boy Guest

I found out about this at our group this morning and must say I was taken aback. As part of my role as a NCMA National Policy Forum member I contacted NCMA to ascertain more information.
    I was was advised that they were aware of the proposal but not that the letters had been already sent out. There is something on the NCMA website with a brief reasoning behind it. I gave over my opinion & concerns to the senior NCMA staff member and was advised that NCMA had no control over the situation.
    This is a totally optional thing for each individual CM to decide what they want to do.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Are you saying we can opt out? I really hope so.

I was recently a victim of a scam and had to give a statement to the police in which I stated my occupation.

I had said I'd give evidence in court if needed but asked if they could keep my occupation out, but the policeman couldn't guarentee it.

I was worried that if the crook and her family/friends found out what I did they could get my number from the FIS and harrass me by phone, I also rang the FIS to check if my address got sent out on the paper lists to enquirers.

I'd hate not to be able to do my civic duty because I have my family and other people's children's safety to put first.
    Don't worry tealady you actually have to Opt in to it because of data protection they can't publish our details without our consent. I still think we should all take the time to write an point out the stupidity of the proposal.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Boy View Post
    I found out about this at our group this morning and must say I was taken aback. As part of my role as a NCMA National Policy Forum member I contacted NCMA to ascertain more information.
    I was was advised that they were aware of the proposal but not that the letters had been already sent out. There is something on the NCMA website with a brief reasoning behind it. I gave over my opinion & concerns to the senior NCMA staff member and was advised that NCMA had no control over the situation.
    This is a totally optional thing for each individual CM to decide what they want to do.

And I thought they were there to stand up for us and or unique roll in childcare.

Especially on a matter such as this which to me is a clear Child Protection issue. So many will read this as a must do as well I bet and give permission thinking they have to or even worse thinking they will loose business if they don't do it. Surely this is what NCMA should be lobbying hard about on our behalf?
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 20-01-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous! Who dreamed up this barmy idea then?

Do they have any consideration whatsoever for our safety and the safety of children or is that just lip service during inspections?

I think it shows how they view us in many ways the same as Day Nurseries and don't value our unique personal service.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nell57 View Post
    Yep, just opened my letter, had to look at it a few times, to make sure it wasnt a wind up. Wonder how many will give consent
    Me, I'm in yellow pages.
    I'm sorry i Don't see the problem, maybe if you're rural but do you think your information isn't out there anyway. I found a member's address on google so I could send her some flowers. It really isn't hard to get info, this won't make it any easier
    And if anyone wants to use you for their children they have no way of contacting you unless your details are on the site
    Last edited by ajs; 20-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Blue Boy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    And I thought they were there to stand up for us and or unique roll in childcare.

Especially on a matter such as this which to me is a clear Child Protection issue. So many will read this as a must do as well I bet and give permission thinking they have to or even worse thinking they will loose business if they don't do it. Surely this is what NCMA should be lobbying hard about on our behalf?
    I don't want to get into a big debate about this, but will say that it was NCMA who told Ofsted that this must be an optional process not statutory. If you don't want to be apart of it you don't have too. It will not be held against you in any way.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too am in the yellow pages so the information is out there but I would have preferred the option of giving permission for my name and telephone number to be shown though

Cx

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Me, I'm in yellow pages.
    I'm sorry i Don't see the problem, maybe if you're rural but do you think your information isn't out there anyway. I found a member's address on google so I could send her some flowers. It really isn't hard to get info, this won't make it any easier
    And if anyone wants to use you for their children they have no way of contacting you unless your details are on the site
    Fair point AJS.

Just out of interest, do you get many enquiries through using yellow pages? Certainly food for thought.
    Helen xXx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you see I would never advertise in Yellow pages for the same reason and we have an unlisted telephone number.

Maybe I am just odd then.

My address is not published in the public domain in connection with my being a childminder.

I have also minded split families in the past where one parent did not know where their children were being looked after. I also would not relish the fact that a complete stranger could knock on my door, I know most would ring but there will be those that won't.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Boy View Post
    I don't want to get into a big debate about this, but will say that it was NCMA who told Ofsted that this must be an optional process not statutory. If you don't want to be apart of it you don't havetoo. It will not be held against you in any way.

Yes I do realize that.

What saddens me is that no one at Ofsted can notsee the potential risks associated with having this info published and have even suggested that it is a good idea.

It does demonstrate to me how little real understanding many of them have of what childminding is about and how it works.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 20-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I too am in the yellow pages so the information is out there but I would have preferred the option of giving permission for my name and telephone number to be shown though

Cx
    You do have the option with Ofsted Christine - if you want your name and address adding you sign and return the form, if you don't then you need do nothing.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    You do have the option with Ofsted Christine - if you want your name and address adding you sign and return the form, if you don't then you need do nothing.

Miffy xx
    Miffy I think she means in yellow pages because they put your full address and a map of where you are and you can't opt out of them doing that if you advertise with them I think.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast