Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Carol M;1046410]
    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    That is the trouble. NCMA have apparently consulted with Ofsted over this and we should be 'grateful' that they have made this request optional!!! NCMA should have been campaigning to stop them even asking us for it.

Unfortunately I am unable to go to my NCMA Regional Forum Meeting on Saturday, 3rd one I have had to miss because I have my Level 3 Diploma Study day.

I think the best way for us to complain is by writing to Ofsted and copying to NCMA. The addresses won't be put online until Sept so there could be a chance if enough of us write they may think twice.[/QUOTE

Why should NCMA be campaigning to stop Ofsted asking us if we would like our details on the Ofsted site with our reports?
    I'm an NCMA member and my sentiments echo Winnie's. You don't want your details there and now you have the choice not to have them there. I really don't get why you think we should all be writing and complaining.
    Carol x
    Because I don't think from a pure Child Protection point of view Ofsted should even be suggesting that our name and address be published with our reports. I think it is in appropriate. I know we have a choice and I will not be giving my permission. However I don't think we should have been asked and i think NCMA should be pointing out to them the folly of this plan and I get the impression that they haven't and we should be glad that they got Osted to give us the choice. Ofsted would have to have got our permission to publish our addresses anyway so big deal NCMA! I'm sorry I am a great supporter of NCMA as you know but I feel they have let us down on this one.

I have been to cm drop in this morning and everyone there was saying the same thing without me saying a word. They were already discussing it when I arrived. Most of us agree we would be happy to do what our local FIS do and just have email and phone, but no one wants full address. We have a couple of single mum cms and they were very critical of this plan.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 02-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

With placing full adress online: will only Encourage phidophile's
    putting all children in danger

Post Thanks / Like

I am allowing it based on the fact that I am right on a county border. I get most of my business from the county I DON'T live in, parents have complained because when they ring up the FIS, I am not on the one that I most get the business from.

I have had 2 people turn up at my door anyway literally saying "I heard you are a childminder - have you got spaces" and have just given them some info and asked them to give me a call to make an appointment. Everyone around me locally knows what I do anyway, and I can't see that some loon from miles away will come to stalk me out.... well I hope not!

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad I'm not the only one who can see the potential risks in giving consent , I have had my letter asking for permission to add it but i won't be. Far too risky in my mind.

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that so many of you, won't be giving your consent to have your details published. I recieved my letter last week and had to read it a few times, I thought I was being a bit over protective.

I don't see why they can't just publish the area and a mobile number or maybe that's just a crazy

Needless to say I won't be giving my consent

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel kind of bad admitting this now but I have filled it in giving my consent!

I think it's a good idea to be able to see the Ofsted report and see exactly who it relates to. As someone looking for good childcare in the past looking at Ofsted reports was pointless because it didn't identify who it related to. Having now worked in EY's for a few years (pre-school first) I know the Ofsted report is not the be all and end all! However, as a parent seeking childcare it's nice to be able to look.

I DO take the point about fraudulant claims for childcare though - I wonder how they will stop that!!

As for peodophiles we live in a world where they can randomly choose any child at any time. I agree on not putting pictures of children on the internet in case a peodophile decides to target that child but targeting a random address on the internet? Maybe the choice should be to either decline in total or have a partial address so giving everyone the option to join in without revealing the full address?

I chose to have my address on so parents and potential parents can see clearly my Ofsted and So that potential parents can put a name and location to me rather than just being a 'number'

I live in a town and there are 12 childminders. We are all on a list that is displayed in the children's centre, doctors surgery, library, schools, pre-schools, community centre, village halls, and it has our full address and phone number on so parents can contact us. This list has been around for YEARS!
    I also have a sign outside promoting me as a childminder and on my car.

I have NEVER had anyone just turn up on my doorstep either. As a childminder I have a secure locked garden with a high fence and a locked front door. I would never let a stranger in my house. I also take the point of those of you who live in isolated areas and perhaps have more open playing areas.

I'd be really interested to know (from a policeman or criminologist or whoever) whether Peodophiles target strangers on a planned attack from an internet source and if they do is it the photo of a child that attracts them? or do they target strangers from a purely opportunistic point of view - like a child playing alone in an isolated part of the park? OR do they target families and friends children's because they have slowly and steadily built up a trust over the years so they have opportunity.

I completely understand why some of you choose not to go on - but surely it should be up to others if they do choose to go on? Please don't shoot me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i will say yes as well.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

and actually about that 'i would never let a stranger in my house' that I just wrote I may have to correct myself there!

isn't this what we do every time a potential parent phones up to visit? we don't know who they are and I have had a mum visit me with no child in tow - because it would be 'easier to talk'

I have never had a single dad ask to come but what if he did? - how is that different from allowing a mum to visit? BUT you are then letting a strange man in your home and as it's been pointed out we all work on our own!

So a man (or woman) phones up, asks about childcare wants to come and visit - you give an address and they come visit. Now not only do they know your address but they have an invitation in to your home!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    I feel kind of bad admitting this now but I have filled it in giving my consent!

I think it's a good idea to be able to see the Ofsted report and see exactly who it relates to. As someone looking for good childcare in the past looking at Ofsted reports was pointless because it didn't identify who it related to. Having now worked in EY's for a few years (pre-school first) I know the Ofsted report is not the be all and end all! However, as a parent seeking childcare it's nice to be able to look.

I DO take the point about fraudulant claims for childcare though - I wonder how they will stop that!!

As for peodophiles we live in a world where they can randomly choose any child at any time. I agree on not putting pictures of children on the internet in case a peodophile decides to target that child but targeting a random address on the internet? Maybe the choice should be to either decline in total or have a partial address so giving everyone the option to join in without revealing the full address?

I chose to have my address on so parents and potential parents can see clearly my Ofsted and So that potential parents can put a name and location to me rather than just being a 'number'

I live in a town and there are 12 childminders. We are all on a list that is displayed in the children's centre, doctors surgery, library, schools, pre-schools, community centre, village halls, and it has our full address and phone number on so parents can contact us. This list has been around for YEARS!
    I also have a sign outside promoting me as a childminder and on my car.

I have NEVER had anyone just turn up on my doorstep either. As a childminder I have a secure locked garden with a high fence and a locked front door. I would never let a stranger in my house. I also take the point of those of you who live in isolated areas and perhaps have more open playing areas.

I'd be really interested to know (from a policeman or criminologist or whoever) whether Peodophiles target strangers on a planned attack from an internet source and if they do is it the photo of a child that attracts them? or do they target strangers from a purely opportunistic point of view - like a child playing alone in an isolated part of the park? OR do they target families and friends children's because they have slowly and steadily built up a trust over the years so they have opportunity.

I completely understand why some of you choose not to go on - but surely it should be up to others if they do choose to go on? Please don't shoot me!
    This is not so. I have had parents visit me who have looked at my Ofsted report Online because they have asked and got my URN from the FIS. In practice I actually find that the parents that come to me are not interested and the first time they see my report is when they get their copy in their parent folder

Lists displayed in this manner are very unusual and do not need to have childminders full addresses on if they are, a telephone number and email address would be sufficient. Have you ever got any business as a result of any of these?

Be careful with a sign on the outside of you house in a residential area because you are not allowed to advertise a business in this way in such an area, if a neighbour complains you could find you are asked to remove it by your local council and face some questioning about your business. This happened to a cm friend of mine. On you car is different.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

and actually about that 'i would never let a stranger in my house' that I just wrote I may have to correct myself there!

isn't this what we do every time a potential parent phones up to visit? we don't know who they are and I have had a mum visit me with no child in tow - because it would be 'easier to talk'

I have never had a single dad ask to come but what if he did? - how is that different from allowing a mum to visit? BUT you are then letting a strange man in your home and as it's been pointed out we all work on our own!

So a man (or woman) phones up, asks about childcare wants to come and visit - you give an address and they come visit. Now not only do they know your address but they have an invitation in to your home!

Yes but I have the parents address and phone contacts and I always deliver one of my brochures to them before a visit so I know the address given is correct. I never interview during working hours when I have mindeed children here and I never interview when I am in the house alone.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

oh thats a really interesting point about the sign - I had never considered that I would not be able to put it up because I am in a residential area - part of my sign incorporates a poster I was sent by the council asking me to display it in a prominent position! (its about them supporting childcare development through funding)
    My house is really tucked out of the way and is difficult to find so having a sign outside it has been really helpful and I have been complimented on it when DO and council workers (EHO) have visited. I had wanted to put one on my back gate as this is by the road and can be seen by passers by. Free advertising so to speak - do you think I would get told to take it down then or only if someone complains??!
    I really respect you for going to so much effort to protect your children by visiting prospective parents and never having them in the house with minded children. But in reality I am sure not all other childminders do this (or are able to do this). I have visited 3 childminders when I visited looking for childcare for my sons and it was all during minding hours. all my parents have visited me during minded hours because they want to see what kind of environment their children will be playing in and presumably what kind of interaction I give the children.
    You are also really fortunate that you are never in the house alone - my husband works when my parents want to come round so I am inevitably on my own and maybe this is something I should consider but I still don't see a problem with my address being on a website or a poster.

In answer to your question - yes most of the business comes through the list as it has all the childminders on it. When people phone me and I am full I say do you have the list and 9 times out of 10 they say yes and are working their way through it - if they say no i point them in the direction of the family information service. All the other childminders in the town as far as I know have always relied on the list for their business - that is how I found the childminders when I worked and I needed childcare.
    I am the only one who uses posters, car signs and a website to promote myself because last year when I started there were 2 others that started just before me, the school went to single intake and the pre-schools were taking from 2 so i found it really difficult to fill my spaces as a newbie!!

Perhaps I am niave and I should be considering this more seriously or perhaps you are over-protective?
    I will certainly be taking on board what you have said and just because I like to give my opinion please don't think I am having a go!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oh thats a really interesting point about the sign - I had never considered that I would not be able to put it up because I am in a residential area - part of my sign incorporates a poster I was sent by the council asking me to display it in a prominent position! (its about them supporting childcare development through funding)
    My house is really tucked out of the way and is difficult to find so having a sign outside it has been really helpful and I have been complimented on it when DO and council workers (EHO) have visited. I had wanted to put one on my back gate as this is by the road and can be seen by passers by. Free advertising so to speak - do you think I would get told to take it down then or only if someone complains??!
    I really respect you for going to so much effort to protect your children by visiting prospective parents and never having them in the house with minded children. But in reality I am sure not all other childminders do this (or are able to do this). I have visited 3 childminders when I visited looking for childcare for my sons and it was all during minding hours. all my parents have visited me during minded hours because they want to see what kind of environment their children will be playing in and presumably what kind of interaction I give the children.
    You are also really fortunate that you are never in the house alone - my husband works when my parents want to come round so I am inevitably on my own and maybe this is something I should consider but I still don't see a problem with my address being on a website or a poster.

In answer to your question - yes most of the business comes through the list as it has all the childminders on it. When people phone me and I am full I say do you have the list and 9 times out of 10 they say yes and are working their way through it - if they say no i point them in the direction of the family information service. All the other childminders in the town as far as I know have always relied on the list for their business - that is how I found the childminders when I worked and I needed childcare.
    I am the only one who uses posters, car signs and a website to promote myself because last year when I started there were 2 others that started just before me, the school went to single intake and the pre-schools were taking from 2 so i found it really difficult to fill my spaces as a newbie!!

Perhaps I am niave and I should be considering this more seriously or perhaps you are over-protective?
    I will certainly be taking on board what you have said and just because I like to give my opinion please don't think I am having a go!!
    You are right maybe I am over protective! I am happy after an initial interview for parents to visit while I am working but I feel then I don't have to pay them so much attention if you see what I mean.

I also guard my family home and would never want a poster outside. Our house isn't the easiest to find and so I have a map on the back of my brocuhre and it is the only thing that has my full address printed on it so I can give it to parents who have arranged a visit.

I would have put the council poster on an indoor notice board with my Ofsted stuff lol!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rickysmiths
    I had my ofsted inspector here yesterday - I should have asked her opinion!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rickysmiths
    I had my ofsted inspector here yesterday - I should have asked her opinion!
    I would have done! Missed opportunity. How did the visit go?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine thanks - 20 minutes and just a few questions! Looks like I'll get my variation for when my hubby works with me to extend my numbers by the number of our own children (by 2).
    I probably should have asked her. We were busy chatting and I was also quite busy interacting with the 13 month old. Also my 6 year old boy was playing up a bit (typical!) I did ask her for any tips on my inspection though! It's overdue!

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Was looking for this being discussed in general chat, knew it had to be causing a fuss somewhere! It's absolutely disgraceful in my opinion...the things we have to do to keep Ofsted happy with our safeguarding procedures and with the emphasis that is on safeguarding today, how can they justify this???? I can't see how it would benefit anyone more than just giving a phone number...I don't deal with potential clients during my working hours anyway so I certainly wouldn't want them knocking on my door. Phone, make an appointment for an evening and then come again if you want to see me 'in practice' and we are both happy with that.

I think we should all complain and make a point of it, Ofsted are NOT right on everything, this is our career and these children are our responsibility. If anything should happen as a result of this Ofsted would be the first to have something to say and point the finger at our safegaurding policies. Let's stand up for what we believe and show Ofsted that we have power and a voice too! Please!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nessynoodle View Post
    Was looking for this being discussed in general chat, knew it had to be causing a fuss somewhere! It's absolutely disgraceful in my opinion...the things we have to do to keep Ofsted happy with our safeguarding procedures and with the emphasis that is on safeguarding today, how can they justify this???? I can't see how it would benefit anyone more than just giving a phone number...I don't deal with potential clients during my working hours anyway so I certainly wouldn't want them knocking on my door. Phone, make an appointment for an evening and then come again if you want to see me 'in practice' and we are both happy with that.

I think we should all complain and make a point of it, Ofsted are NOT right on everything, this is our career and these children are our responsibility. If anything should happen as a result of this Ofsted would be the first to have something to say and point the finger at our safegaurding policies. Let's stand up for what we believe and show Ofsted that we have power and a voice too! Please!!
    I couldn't agree with you more but you do have the right to not have your address put on the web site.

The day they try to make it compulsory will the day I start to protest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234