Variation for 2 new children
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variation for 2 new children

I currently have two vacancies, one full time and one Monday to Weds. I am about to sign contracts with a parent for the full time space, her baby will start in April when he will be 10 months old. I have now met with a parent who was offered a Mon-Weds space by my back-up childminder, who has now pulled out due to expecting a baby. Their child needs to start in March aged 7 months.
    This means I would be unable to take on both children as between April and June I'd have two under ones.
    Both parents say they have been unable to find another local childminder with a suitable vacancy. I would easily be able to manage caring for two babies, as the only other child I care for is my own daughter who is 3 1/2. Until Christmas I looked after two fourteen month olds which I personally think is harder anyhow.
    Has anyone else ever got a variation in this situation, or is it not even worth trying?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, you would only need a variation to have 2 children under 1, not to go over your numbers?

Ofsted are quite good about granting variations for 2 under 1s. You need to complete the variation request form detailing how you will care for two babies (what equipment you have, how you will get them out & about, feed them etc). Also add that you have looked after 2 14th olds as it shows you have experience of looking after 2 babies.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be much of a problem with you getting it

Have a read of the Ofsted factsheet

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/f...s-may-care-for

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My MIL got a variation for 3 under 1's as two were twins and one was the younger brother of an existing mindee. They were 8 months (twins) and 9 months sibling.

MIL had no other children under 5 except them

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice - that's really helpful. And the link to the document has cleared up a niggling worry I had that I'd accidentally gone over my numbers last term - they've now reworded "children aged four and five who are in full time education" to "children aged four and five who are present only before and/or after a normal school day and in school holidays"